I rode my VR to work today for the first time. Everything went well until I was coming back from lunch. About a 1/2 mile from work, my clutch started slipping. By the time I pulled into the parking lot, I had to just idle into the parking space because if I tried to give it any gas, it would just slip. I had a similar problem before but only when I got on the gas really hard. After bleeding the clutch, the problem seemed to stop. Now I'm faced with the problem of getting the bike home this afternoon. Any idea what would have caused this to happen?

I rode my VR to work today for the first time. Everything went well until I was coming back from lunch. About a 1/2 mile from work, my clutch started slipping. By the time I pulled into the parking lot, I had to just idle into the parking space because if I tried to give it any gas, it would just slip. I had a similar problem before but only when I got on the gas really hard. After bleeding the clutch, the problem seemed to stop. Now I'm faced with the problem of getting the bike home this afternoon. Any idea what would have caused this to happen?

The first thing I would try is bleeding the clutch again and make sure it is not over filled. I would then try not to load the clutch anymore than I had to, like staying out of traffic. Also, make sure your rear brakes are not dragging.

RandyA

Hmmm,the usual problem with bleeding the hydraulic clutch is that it won't disengage, not as you describe. Sooo, did you recently change the oil? If so did you add any additives??? We have a "wet" clutch so any additives or friction modifiers will cause the clutch to slip!!

Barnett makes some HD clutch springs for the MK1 clutch which are stiffer and help prevent slippage. Getting back to the hydraulic portion of the clutch, as Venturous stated if the master is overfilled that could cause the problem as well as the relief hole in the master cylinder being clogged. Both will trap hydraulic pressure in the line causing it to act as if the clutch was depressed...

As for as the oil, when I changed the oil, I used Yamalube 20-50. That is what our local dealer recomended. I just went out and bleed the clutch and now it feels like it is engageing. I didn't actually ride it, but I did start it and put it in gear. Before I bled it, it wouldn't even engage. Of coarse, it may just be working now because it has cooled off. I really can't understand why it would just all of the sudden quite working. Unless it was like you said and I had too much fluid in it and the heat caused it to expand and disengage the clutch.

Just finished a trip with a group. One guy was there on a 04 Venture Trike (great looking) and was having an issue with the clutch slipping.

We thought the same thing....reservoir may be too full or plugged. Opened it up and it was so dirty, black. We changed the fluid in the reservoir and then bled it through to the slave cylinder and then he no longer had a hard clutch lever pull and it seemed to stop slipping. He still had to pull his camp trailer back home.

As Pegasus1300 explained it. Being that dirty led him to believe it hadn't been changed in a long while. Being the hygroscopic, the fluid had water in it and when it got hot, the water boiled and built pressure in the line and started to disengage the clutch plates.

Dave

When I got the bike, the resivoir was dry from setting for so long. I cleaned everything and refilled it and bled it. I have bled it several time now so I would have thought any moisture would be gone but I may be wrong. As for the fluid level, it is full to the top. I really can't see through the site glass because it is so cloudy. I am getting ready to leave for home soon. I hope I can make it. I have about 15 miles to ride.:fingers-crossed-emo

If I get home, I will go into it further.

There are two holes in the reservoir for the master... a large "fill" hole and a very tiny "relief" hole. If this tiny one is plugged, running the bike will have engine heat heat the fluid in the line expanding the fluid and the clutch slips... only temporary relief is bleeding the clutch of the unrelieved fluid.

That tiny hole should be OPEN when the clutch lever is fully disengaged to allow any pressure to push the excess fluid back into the reservoir ! So also check that the clutch lever is fully relaxed and there's not a lot of freeplay from the relaxed piston sticking in the bore.

If the reservoir is full to the top it is overfull. Use a rag or paper towel to get some fluid out so that it is about half full. DO NOT let any fluid drip on paint or plastic.

:sign yeah that:

There are two holes in the reservoir for the master... a large "fill" hole and a very tiny "relief" hole. If this tiny one is plugged, running the bike will have engine heat heat the fluid in the line expanding the fluid and the clutch slips... only temporary relief is bleeding the clutch of the unrelieved fluid.

That tiny hole should be OPEN when the clutch lever is fully disengaged to allow any pressure to push the excess fluid back into the reservoir ! So also check that the clutch lever is fully relaxed and there's not a lot of freeplay from the relaxed piston sticking in the bore.

AND :sign yeah that:

I made it home fine yesterday. No clutch slipping. Based on what everyone is saying on here, I think I've got too much fluid. This weekend I'm going to take some out and try it again. I may also purge flush the the whole system to make sure there is not trash in it that may be plugging the vent hole. I want to thank everyone for the help.:You_Rock_Emoticon: