IGNORED

Gas Pouring out...

Guest Rev'n Ahead

Guest Rev'n Ahead

I was riding back from the "big smoke" yesterday and smelled gasoline... started wondering, and then the bike sputtered when I accelerated. I pulled into the first parking lot I could find and as my wife jumped off, she exclaimed, "it's pouring out the bottom!" The fuel was running out as if the tank has a 1/4" hole tapped into it.

As I shut her down, (bike, not wife) she stopped dripping. I traced the leak to the carb "overflow" tubes. After pulling off the air cleaner assembly, so I could see what's happening there, I started the bike again. The front right and rear left carbs were leaking out of the little hole on the rim, and then out the tubes. I figured there must have been some dirt in the tank and it has plugged stuff in there. So, I finger plugged the leaking hole in the rim and blew back into the leaking hose... I did this for all four carbs and she fired up and ran nice while sitting there. I did not assemble the air box because it was dark and I was using a limited number of tools (and didn't want to dis-assemble the bike in the mall parking lot) so I tried to run it without the air box... she did not run well - I'm assuming she was getting too much air. My son came down with the trailer and dragged us home - we got home at 2AM... but got here safely. Thank God.

So, where do I go from here? Is it time to pull the carbs off and clean/rebuild? If I clean the tank, clean the carbs, and re-assemble will I be ok? She was running real good up until last night...

HELP

I would drain most of the gas out of the tank, then spray in a whole can of CTC carb cleaner, then let it run for about an hour,,, think it will solve your problems if it's dirt. You'll not likely be getting dirt out of the tank, that's why there is a fuel filter in line, but it wouldn't hurt to replace that as well. Most likely you're getting dirt out of the fuel line from the fuel pump to the carbs, not a hard one to replace. Just loosen both ends, put a bolt into the end by the carbs, screw the new piece onto the bolt and pull it through, about a 15 minute job all told.

float valve stuck due to debris.

1- replace fuel filter-debris had to come from somewhere. Could also be bad fuel hose between filter/pump/carb breaking down.

all below 1 carb at a time....

2-drain float bowls (drain screw and side drain tubes, into clear container to see if debris came out)

3-with drain open and fuel pump running, tap on diaphram cover with screwdriver handle-trying to jar carb and dislodge any debris under float needle loose

4-with fuel pump running. close drain valve. Pump should pressure up and stop, and should have no leak from overflow tubes.

5- if problem cant be fixed like this, carbs will need removed for cleaning

Guest Rev'n Ahead
Most likely you're getting dirt out of the fuel line from the fuel pump to the carbs, not a hard one to replace. Just loosen both ends, put a bolt into the end by the carbs, screw the new piece onto the bolt and pull it through, about a 15 minute job all told.

Not sure I'm understanding the last part of this instruction. "New piece" is that a new hose?

"loosen both ends" of what? again, the fuel line?

Sorry, just need to know.

Thanks

and, where is the inline fuel filter? Haven't looked yet...

Guest Rev'n Ahead
float valve stuck due to debris.

1- replace fuel filter-debris had to come from somewhere. Could also be bad fuel hose between filter/pump/carb breaking down.

All below 1 carb at a time....

2-drain float bowls (drain screw and side drain tubes, into clear container to see if debris came out)

3-with drain open and fuel pump running, tap on diaphram cover with screwdriver handle-trying to jar carb and dislodge any debris under float needle loose

4-with fuel pump running. Close drain valve. Pump should pressure up and stop, and should have no leak from overflow tubes.

5- if problem cant be fixed like this, carbs will need removed for cleaning

do i need to dismantle the carbs to do this?

Not sure I'm understanding the last part of this instruction. "New piece" is that a new hose?

"loosen both ends" of what? again, the fuel line?

Sorry, just need to know.

Thanks

and, where is the inline fuel filter? Haven't looked yet...

Loosen both ends of the old fuel line, the one end at the carbs, the other at the fuel pump. You need to obtain a new piece of fuel line to replace the old red one that's there now. Never mind, I'll call ya

If its a stuck float you might try draining the gas, then blowing carb cleaner, with a red tube, up through the drain hose into the bowl. Use a cloth so the spray back doesn't get you .

Guest Rev'n Ahead
Loosen both ends of the old fuel line, the one end at the carbs, the other at the fuel pump. You need to obtain a new piece of fuel line to replace the old red one that's there now. Never mind, I'll call ya

and THANKS for calling. You are awesome!

BTW: I did swing by CTC and picked up the carb cleaner spray, a filter (lawn equipment), a new hose, and a loooooooong pair of needle nose pliers. I'm on deck at my church tomorrow morning so I'm spending the evening busy making sure it/me are all ready for that. I'll get at cleaning/changing hose/filter/draining carbs, etc tomorrow after lunch.

I WILL let you know how it goes.

Thanks a HUGE bunch again for the phone call... I'm still smiling.

Cheers,

Many times you can take the handle end of a long screwdriver and tap at the bowl. Many times this will dislodge and material that might be stopping the float from seating. I would check the fuel filter and see how that looks. Dont pull the carbs off yet, that is a VERY time consuming job and if your not pretty handy mechanically you can get over your head real fast....

:2cents:

Guest Rev'n Ahead

WELL... thanks to you guys here, a phone call from Marcarl, and time spent in my garage this afternoon the DateBike is running real nice... probably a bit nicer than it has been since I bought it.

Replaced the red hose, drained/cleaned it all, replaced the filter while in there... and she's running good. :cool10:

THANK YOU! if for that only - the $12 spent for VR.org has been worth every penny (and making friends too) Priceless! :bighug:

Cheers,