Just read through threads about flushing my radiator. What I couldn't find was any answers on if you can use a radiator flush cleaner first before refilling. I have seen where water is used to flush several times before filling with a coolant for aluminum engines.

What about a cleaning type radiator flush ? :confused24:

I had a lot of trouble with the cooling system when I first got the bike.

It leaked, everywhere, and where it wasn't leaking it was because it was blocked.

The whole system was reverse flushed with plain water, several times. Just about every O-ring had to be replaced (expensive) and the valve was destroyed (pinwall, cheap).

The radiator was blocked. It was removed and cleaned in the kitchen sink. Took a while but eventually it all ran clear.

The small bore pipe connecting to the top of the valve is prone to blocking with crud. Even when you have it all running I would suggest you remove that and check it after a few thousand miles.

A final flush with a proprietary cleaning compound will probably help.

My system now works as intended, but it wasn't easy to get there, and those O-rings ....

It is working when the needle will stay in the green sector, sitting in traffic with the ambient temps over 100F :D

Now it looks like it's not the hose, but the thermostat gasket. ...uhhg..that looks like a real job to change...removing the exhaust and all... :shock3:

The plastic thermostat housing is known to warp sitting there just behind the exhaust pipe. There are some threads on this issue.

If you are going in that far, It is a good time to replace the o-rings on the elbow from the water pump and the thermostat housing. And then since all of that has to come off to get to the starter motor, it is a great time to pull the starter for the ground plate mod.