IGNORED

Gas mileage...............

DragonRider

Just checked the gas mileage on the just rebuilt Venture, she got 47 mpg and this was before the diaphragm change and 2 of the 4 were bad. Cant wait to check this tankful. Hoping to get over 50. And the carbs haven't even been synced yet. And my wife thinks I ought to sell it because its so old, hell compared to me its very young, its only 29 years old. Thanks Yamaha for building such a quality bike. :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Mine keeps dropping. Filled up last night and was at 30.9. Was getting mid 40's in December. Sync'd the carbs yesterday, checked the plug wires and put new plugs in it in December.

Guess I have to keep looking at all the possibilities. :confused24:

Great job on the 47...WOW. :happy65:

Mine keeps dropping. Filled up last night and was at 30.9. Was getting mid 40's in December. Sync'd the carbs yesterday, checked the plug wires and put new plugs in it in December.

Guess I have to keep looking at all the possibilities. :confused24:

Great job on the 47...WOW. :happy65:

The more used to that 900 lb beast you get the more the right hand plays......gas milage? I have broke 50 riding with a group but do upper 30s low 40s by myself.:whistling:

Just checked the gas mileage on the just rebuilt Venture, she got 47 mpg and this was before the diaphragm change and 2 of the 4 were bad. Cant wait to check this tankful. Hoping to get over 50. And the carbs haven't even been synced yet. And my wife thinks I ought to sell it because its so old, hell compared to me its very young, its only 29 years old. Thanks Yamaha for building such a quality bike. :thumbsup::thumbsup:
Quit bragging I still have a MPH problem that will cause me to show up on your doorstep to get you to help me figure out.

When I first got my '89 32-35 mpg was all it got. Per instructions on this site I lowered the needles in the carbs and now it hangs between 35-37 mpg. Oddly milage does not seem to change much no matter how I ride it. Tried riding it easy a few times and failed to break 40 mpg in fact I have never reached 40 mpg in the 25,000 mi I have put on it. Love the power though. I had an '86 Goldwing back in the late 80's early 90's. The Honda seldom got less than 40mpg and reached 50 mpg a couple of times. No way that Honda had as much power as this Venture does. Believe I should change the diaphrams in the carbs, perhaps that could push my mileage up. Good work on getting 47 mpg, at this point it is something I can only dream of.

Jeff

I only got that kind of mileage one other time, and that was right after Muffinman did a carb sync and color tune then we went on a road trip from Newnan, Ga, to Banner Elk, NC, then over to the Dragon, and on one leg it got up to 47 then, and it really pissed the Muffin off cause he couldnt get that mileage out of his. I was shocked when I got that this time because of 2 bad diaphragms, and not a lot of power, but I thought it was running pretty good. Going on a ride today, and will check it again and see if the mileage gets better or worse with the new ones in, I love the power she has now.:big-grin-emoticon::hurts::bighug:

When I first got my '89 32-35 mpg was all it got. Per instructions on this site I lowered the needles in the carbs and now it hangs between 35-37 mpg. Oddly milage does not seem to change much no matter how I ride it. Tried riding it easy a few times and failed to break 40 mpg in fact I have never reached 40 mpg in the 25,000 mi I have put on it. Love the power though. I had an '86 Goldwing back in the late 80's early 90's. The Honda seldom got less than 40mpg and reached 50 mpg a couple of times. No way that Honda had as much power as this Venture does. Believe I should change the diaphrams in the carbs, perhaps that could push my mileage up. Good work on getting 47 mpg, at this point it is something I can only dream of.

Jeff

I have been running my 85 1200 back and forth to work, 90% highway. Last fillup I computed 46.2 mpg. Thats better than my vulcan 900 gets. Amazed me cause i just bought it 2 months ago and have done nothing to the carbs other than run lots of seafoam for several tankfulls. It does have idle creep when it warms but hope to sort that out soon. Bike has 43k on it.

Checked the mileage again on Saturdays ride, but the mileage was down to 42.9 mpg, but with Jamie along it was spirited riding.........And I have to admit, I was the one who imitated this time, in fact after about ten miles we hit a nice long flat stretch of road and my better judgment was lost and I opened her up for the first time since the rebuild, at about 5500 rpm if felt like a turbo kicked in and she was off, I hit the Ton pretty quick and let off, running out of unobstructed straight road. That's the very first time since owning the Venture that I have gone that fast on it. It never has run this good before, not even when I first got in back in 2004. Jamie challenged me to a third gear roll on from about 50, he got the jump on me but it only took about 2-3 seconds for me to pass him, he was on my V Star 1300, I knew what the outcome would be, I knew the Star was really quick since its fuel injected, but I was also sure the Venture was the supreme bike in this situation. Like I said before, I am in love all over again with my NEW Venture...............even though I have owned it for 8 years. Never in my life did I think I could get that bike to run that good...............Glad I took on the tranny swap. At first I thought the ratios might be different in the 86 vs the 83 but I looked at the specs on both and saw that they are identical...........Sad to say but the V Star is going to be history for me soon!!! Its a great bike, but the Venture is a much better ride for me, I feel more confident on it and it fits me like a glove, I forgot how well they handled and I also found out that the Kawi Concours may not be for me, I rode Gene's 08 Concours yesterday for the first time, great handling, running bike, but even with 1 1/2 inch risers under the handlebars there was still too much weight on my hands, even after a short ride my hands were hurting from having all my weight on them.