IGNORED

Chrome Peeling and Rusting. What to do?

GolfVenture

I purchased a set of Passenger Arm Rest for my MKII and the hardware that mounts to the VR has some bad rusting and peeling parts.

I know that it is like cancer and so it will spread.

But I'm not into rechomeing for that is expensive.

So I could use some suggestions as to how to best treat the peeling and rusting chrome.

I don't know much about the mounting of it yet, but I'm pretty sure that it is on the inside where it can't be seen.

I've included a couple of pictures.

Thanks for your advise.

get as much chrome off and then use rust convertor. it should at least stop the rust.

then you could put a silver por-15 in that area. works pretty well on my resto cars.

I use the spray type, or just use a chrome color paint I guess.

http://www.eastwood.com/eastwood-rust-converter.html?srccode=ga110070&gclid=CLmJ1PXFvLACFQK5KgodGSMxrg

There is also a great little chrome shop near (EUSA1) Mike Kemp. in IL.

that would be able to re-chrome that for you.

good luck

Jeff

First, have you seen the answers on Death Valley ?

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?p=18858537#post18858537

I have read several times about a procedure outlined below. I had a link to a post in another truck forum I belong to, but can not find it.

------

The procedure is very much the same as removing rust but with different chemical. First, degrease completely and scrub thoroughly with detergent. Mix 1 cup of Muriatic acid with 3 gallons of water in a plastic bucket. NOTE; ALWAYS ADD ACID TO WATER. NEVER WATER TO ACID !!! (It WILL explode) Hang two or three copper wires (#12 or larger) around sides of bucket. Connect these to ground of battery charger.

Hang item to be dechromed in fluid with positive lead connected. Be sure part doesn"t touch ground wires. Within a few seconds or minutes, depending on thickness of chrome, it should come clean. More or less time as required. When finished, wash parts in mild soda water solution to neutralize acid. (Do this right way to prevent rust) As with any caustic acid, handle with care.

Disposal can be done at a chrome shop for a fee. Careful disposal of what you have left over should be done with safety and the environment in mind. Nothing you should dump in the back 40.

Prepare Hexavalent Chromium Plating Solution (chromic/sulfuric acid solution).

• Mix 100:1 chromic acid/sulfuric acid proportions: - Chromic acid crystals = 33 oz. (936 grams) - Sulfuric acid fluid = .33 oz. (9.36 milliliter) - Distilled water to make 1 gallon (3.79 liter).
  • Mix solution in immersion tank used for materials testing and/or chemical treatments.
  • Keep temperature for solution from 95 to 115 degrees Fahrenheit (35 to 46 degrees Celsius) for decorative chrome.
  • Keep temperature from 120 to 150 degrees Fahrenheit (49 to 66 degrees Celsius) for hard chrome.
  • Handle process and chemicals carefully because the solution is capable of ignition and fire and of interacting with many other chemicals to produce additional risks.
  • Run negative charge from a power source, such as a car battery, through the chromic plating solution.
  • Attach positive anode to object intended for stripping and submerge the object into solution.
  • Negative charge will pull the positively charged metals from the object.
  • Rinse object in agitating running water, and, then, rinse again.

Edited by KIC

If you do not want to re-chrome, I would peel of any loose chrome flakes, clean with navel jelly to remove rust, touch up bare steel spots with a "chrome" paint, Clear coat the whole thing (or keep well waxed) to prevent further rust.