IGNORED

First SS1000

Owen

One old man on a 2007 FJR.

Left Houston at 02:50, Saturday morning.

South on the beltway to IH10 west.

Sun rise as I was leaving the west side of San Antonio.

Boerne, Comfort, Kerrville, Junction, Sonora, Ozona, Ft. Stockton, Balmorhea, turn around and head back.

Arrived home at 20:30 just as the sun was setting.

1115 miles, 17hrs 40min.

Odometer reading was 47 miles higher than GPS.

Bike ran great. You can really haul butt in west texas where the posted speed limit is 80mph.

Hot (upper 90s) and dry in the desert.

Corbin seat and Heli bar pull backs did their jobs. No sore body parts.

Hydration using Camalbak 100oz insulated carrier. 50/50 water and Propel Zero. Drank a full 200 ozs (6 liters) and only stopped to pee once.

Thought I would be pretty sore the next day but surprisingly not so much. Hands were a bit tired and sore but that was it. Need to replace my worn out gloves.

I am pretty much ATGATT. I was trying out a new base layer from Cycle Gear called Heat Out. It is similar to the LD Comfort riding stuff but only about 20-30 bucks. Fits like a second skin and helps wick away perspiration and provides cooling. It works. I like it. Durability remains to be proven.

Zipcode Dave was tracking me with a ham radio APRS program that worked pretty well. I will let him comment on that.

It was a good ride.

Next... :biker:

Congrats! Great achievement! :thumbsup:

Did you calculate fuel economy? What kind of range did you get?

I liked the APRS tracking, but it seemed to check out around the same place. Is that a service hole? The other aspect is the lack of "check ins" like you get with SPOT. But it seemed accurate and updated fast.

Dave

Congrats! Great achievement! :thumbsup:

Did you calculate fuel economy? What kind of range did you get?

I liked the APRS tracking, but it seemed to check out around the same place. Is that a service hole? The other aspect is the lack of "check ins" like you get with SPOT. But it seemed accurate and updated fast.

Dave

Over all average was 40.4mpg. Longest run on a tank was 231 miles, shortest was 178 miles. Head winds and 85mph sucks a lot of fuel...

Over all average was 40.4mpg. Longest run on a tank was 231 miles, shortest was 178 miles. Head winds and 85mph sucks a lot of fuel...

Your shortest was over twice my shortest, and I was only going 75mph with headwinds. LOL

Dave

Guest Swifty

...great job; I've done the SS1000 too.

I would really like some pics; particularly interested in as many as you can post on the seat and heli bar pull backs.

Great job Owen, you got it down. The first IB is the best, all the planning, riding and finishing. Makes you want to do more, atleast in my case. Might be hard to keep up with you on that FJR. Nice ride.:clap2::clap2:

Now you have gone and done it. There is no looking back now. Next thing you know, you will be advancing to those BunBurner 1500's, the Coast to Coast rides, the 10/10th's, and someday an entry into the big show...the IronButt Rally.

Congrats on your ride, and welcome to the dark side.

Now you have gone and done it. There is no looking back now. Next thing you know, you will be advancing to those BunBurner 1500's, the Coast to Coast rides, the 10/10th's, and someday an entry into the big show...the IronButt Rally.

Its like crack I tell ya.... :biker:

One old man on a 2007 FJR.

Left Houston at 02:50, Saturday morning.

South on the beltway to IH10 west.

Sun rise as I was leaving the west side of San Antonio.

Boerne, Comfort, Kerrville, Junction, Sonora, Ozona, Ft. Stockton, Balmorhea, turn around and head back.

Arrived home at 20:30 just as the sun was setting.

1115 miles, 17hrs 40min.

Odometer reading was 47 miles higher than GPS.

Bike ran great. You can really haul butt in west texas where the posted speed limit is 80mph.

Hot (upper 90s) and dry in the desert.

Hydration using Camalbak 100oz insulated carrier. 50/50 water and Propel Zero. Drank a full 200 ozs (6 liters) and only stopped to pee once.

Thought I would be pretty sore the next day but surprisingly not so much. Hands were a bit tired and sore but that was it. Need to replace my worn out gloves.

I am pretty much ATGATT. I was trying out a new base layer from Cycle Gear called Heat Out. It is similar to the LD Comfort riding stuff but only about 20-30 bucks. Fits like a second skin and helps wick away perspiration and provides cooling. It works. I like it. Durability remains to be proven.

Zipcode Dave was tracking me with a ham radio APRS program that worked pretty well. I will let him comment on that.

It was a good ride.

Next... :biker:

Owen, did you have the heat out shorts only, or did you do the shirt and doo-rag as well? I was about to buy them last week and they were out of stock at my local store. Nice to hear they work as good as LD comfort, those are $$$! Congrats on the SS1000, definitely on my Bucket List. Working on the Tour of Honor for California before the summer is over.

Ride Safe!

BigDawg

Owen, did you have the heat out shorts only, or did you do the shirt and doo-rag as well? I was about to buy them last week and they were out of stock at my local store. Nice to hear they work as good as LD comfort, those are $$$! Congrats on the SS1000, definitely on my Bucket List. Working on the Tour of Honor for California before the summer is over.

Ride Safe!

BigDawg

I wore the Heat Out long pants and short sleeve top. TourMaster mesh jacket and mesh armored pants. This worked well for keeping me cool enough into the mid/upper 90's. At some temps above 90+ you are better the keep the hot air off of you. Any warmer and I would have changed the mesh out for vented sleeve/back jacket and vented riding pants and my evaporative vest. That way when you wet down the arms and legs you get better cooling. I can not compare them to the LD Comfort gear because I have not spent the money. One comment I have read says the LD's are thicker. I don't really know what effect that would have. I do know that the seams on the Heat Out's were not in pressure points for me and did not cause a problem. :happy34:

Edited by Owen

...great job; I've done the SS1000 too.

I would really like some pics; particularly interested in as many as you can post on the seat and heli bar pull backs.

I don't think the photos will add much here. The HeliBars were designed specifically for the Gen II FJR. :mo money: You can find info here, clicky.

The Corbin Seat was made specifically for me, 5'7" x 150lbs x 31" inseam. :mo money: It is a beautiful seat and well made. More firm than the stock seat was. It broke in well for me and don't mind the big bucks it cost. I have about 5,000 miles on it now. Clicky. There seem to be those who hate them...

My goal from the beginning was to build a rally bike. I have more to do, :mo money:

:biker:

How did you know!?!?

I registered for the Big Tex Rally today...

:doh:

• 2 months later...