IGNORED

Hitch ball from Hell

KIC

Several weeks ago I finally got around to removing the hitch off of my 87 and putting it on my 89 so I could use it for a PGR flag mount.

The removal and reinstall was pretty cut and dry taking only a couple of hours, including a short trip to Ace for some different bolts.

The next "simple" "easy" "no problem" step was to take the ball off and bolt on my home made flag holder.

That took probably 6 hours over 2 days. The bolt would not budge. I'm guessing the ball was installed back around 87 and had been in the Oregon area until 2 years ago. Even soaking with WD40 over night didn't help.

I went from wrench to breaker bar to pipe wrench and using my Tahoe hitch to Sawzall to grinder.

Ended up grinding the thing in two. What a job ! :shock3:

Several weeks ago I finally got around to removing the hitch off of my 87 and putting it on my 89 so I could use it for a PGR flag mount.

The removal and reinstall was pretty cut and dry taking only a couple of hours, including a short trip to Ace for some different bolts.

The next "simple" "easy" "no problem" step was to take the ball off and bolt on my home made flag holder.

That took probably 6 hours over 2 days. The bolt would not budge. I'm guessing the ball was installed back around 87 and had been in the Oregon area until 2 years ago. Even soaking with WD40 over night didn't help.

I went from wrench to breaker bar to pipe wrench and using my Tahoe hitch to Sawzall to grinder.

Ended up grinding the thing in two. What a job ! :shock3:

:doh: :crackup::rotf: :rotfl: :bang head:

THIS THREAD IS WORTHLESS WITHOUT VIDEO.......

I guess I just have better technology available.

I took mine in the basement and put it on the milling machine.

30 seconds later that 1" carbide cutter had turned it into a pile of chips.

I didn't have the patients for penetrating oil to do its thing. The mill was even faster and less work than the hot wrench would have been. I had no intention of reusing that ball anyhow. The nut on mine laughed at my 3/4 drive impact wrench.

I knew my impact wrench wouldn't help after using a breaker bar and pipe on the end. I was afraid something would give and somebody would get hurt. Don't have a milling machine and was afraid a torch might ruin the chrome.

Hey.. I got the job done, just took a little longer than you high tech guys :cool10: :happy65:

Edited by KIC