IGNORED

This is what brake fluid can do to your plastic.

raybear71

My mother in-law passed away in March and my wife went to Michigan to take care of things. The first week of May I went to bring her and everything from the estate home. Before I left for Michigan I went for a nice long ride and when I parked the bike I noticed a drip of brake fluid on the right upper fairing. As far as I could tell it was coming from the back side of the plunger. No big deal right? I would look into it when I got home. Bad idea. I arrived home three days later and found the master cylinder had emptied out. I cleaned it the best I could, but it was too late. Over the next hundred miles or so pieces would just fall off as I rode down the road. My bike was previously laid down on the right side so the spidercracked fairing didn't help. I guess this is one of those lessons I learned the hard way.:confused24: :backinmyday: At least the left side still looks good.

I wonder if the new synthetic brake fluid is just as bad -----anyone willing to give it a try and do a report.:hurts:

DOT 5 is silicon based and will not harm plastic like the glycol based brake fluid will. There are other factors though. Glycol will absorb moisture and spread it throughout the fluid mixture. Silicone based will not absorb moisture. Problem with that, from what I have been told, is that you can end up with pockets of water in places you don't want water. Also that could end up causing corrosion in your system that wouldn't be present with the glycol based.

If someone wanted to switch between the two, since they are not compatible, they would need to switch out all the rubber parts in the system and do a total flush.

For further reading: http://www.motorcycleproject.com/motorcycle/text/cows-brakefluid.html

On a positive note, the right side plastic needed replacement anyhow.

That is not "positive" it is a gentle way of kicking your ass to get r done. Still sucks.

Good luck finding the parts the right colour match or a good painter that can paint parts that look faded. :think:

Brad