IGNORED

RSTD Windscreen Options?

I have to replace the windshield on my RSTD. I started by looking for a stock windscreen, and all I found was this:

STR-1D607-11-00

7” lower than stock, made of tough polycarbonate with Quantum Coating® for superior abrasion resistance and longer life.

I couldn't find the stock size at the Yamaha website. I'll admit that the only place I could see the windscreen listed was in accessories. I couldn't find it in the parts section.

So I started looking for alternatives. The most popular seems to be the Clearview. Threads here suggest that people are getting the shorter version, with the vent. The recurve is both praised and cursed. Any comments on this, comfort, mpg, passenger buffeting? How does the wider size impact attachments to the handlebars? How about riding in the rain, which I do a lot of? The stock windscreen keeps me nice and dry, but it kills my mpg.

Another option is Cee Baileys. Anyone have this?? WHen would you use light green?

What else is there to fit the stock RSTD quick connect?

How does the smoke windscreen look on a midnight bike? Photo examples?

Thanks so much for your experience and opinions!

Dave

Dave,

When I bought my '07 RSTD, it already had the Clearview windshield on it. (no recurve)

Mr. Bowersock and I took a trip on a windy day up the interstate a while back. We switched windshields, I took his stock one. I was getting beat to death behind it. I could tell a big difference in the amount of buffeting I was receiving.

Nico on the other hand, enjoyed his ride. He liked it so much that he just bought a Clearview shield for himself.

I have been caught in downpours with it, and I only really got wet when I stopped. :)

Passengers have never complained of buffeting. I don't have any buffeting worth mentioning.

Dave,

When I bought my '07 RSTD, it already had the Clearview windshield on it. (no recurve)

Mr. Bowersock and I took a trip on a windy day up the interstate a while back. We switched windshields, I took his stock one. I was getting beat to death behind it. I could tell a big difference in the amount of buffeting I was receiving.

Nico on the other hand, enjoyed his ride. He liked it so much that he just bought a Clearview shield for himself.

I have been caught in downpours with it, and I only really got wet when I stopped. :)

Passengers have never complained of buffeting. I don't have any buffeting worth mentioning.

What size windscreen do you have? Stock height? Do you have the vent?

Dave

What size windscreen do you have? Stock height? Do you have the vent?

Dave

Heh, not sure on height or size, Dave. How do you measure it correctly?

Its definitely wider, and possibly slightly taller than Nico's Stock windshield that was on his '08.

Yes I have the vent. I question it's usefulness, really.

I mean, you live in Texas like I do. If you are wearing full gear, in Rush Hour traffic at 5:30, moving at 15mph, and the temps are north of 95F, that little vent is worthless. :)

It helps a little.

I have the 16.5" Clearview which is 3" shorter than stock in Light Grey-no vent (white bike). No re-curve. Works perfect for me at 5'8". Look just over the top. I originally bought the Clearview stock height 19" with vent and re-curve. I HATED the re-curve. It would give me a headache looking thru it. I then cut the bottom of the 19"er off 3" which was better, but still didn't like looking thru the re-curve on curves. I found the vent useless.

I see that the Cee Bailey is stock width. The Clearview is 4" wider which I like better. But, the Cee Bailey is still a little cheaper even if you include the lowers which come standard with the Clearview.

I think that the wider, lower Clearview makes the bike look much better.

I don't get any buffeting, but never have a passenger so cannot speak to that.

I couldn't find the stock size at the Yamaha website. I'll admit that the only place I could see the windscreen listed was in accessories. I couldn't find it in the parts section.

Dave

Stock Windscreen is listed under Cowling 1 on the Parts Fiche. I guess Cowling 1 is the literal translation of Windshield or screen from Japanese? Not sure why they don't just call it windshield....

http://www.boats.net/images/diagrams/yamaha/MCY/2006/XVZ13CTMV_CTMVC/IMAGES/COWLING_1.png

So its just a mear 319.00 MSRP for the stock height or $270.00 at boats.net ..... maybe less at others....

1 1D6-2837U-00-00 SCREEN $319.88 $270.30

I'm in the market for a replacement as well. Kind of like the Memphis shades batwing, but no listing for the RSTD.

Derrek

WOW @ $320 I'm pretty sure you can find an alternative. Shoot for that much you can probably afford to buy a Mephis shades and experiment, and if it goes horribly wrong buy a replacment and still be even. :fingers-crossed-emo

I have a 97 RSTD and the boss lady ordered a new one for me from the local Yamaha dealer. PN STR-4NL03-11-00 and it was only 195.62 tax included. It's listed on cheap cycle parts.com for $151 and at Yamaha Sports Plaza for $128. This is for a 97 RSTD but it should be the same

Dave,

The Clearview that the Marshall and I have is the 21 " model with the recurve and the vent. I think the vent helps more with reducing the low pressure pocket directly behind the screen, which generally is the cause of passenger buffeting, than any cooling of the rider. My height is 5'11" and have no issues looking through the windshield. I see no distortion with regard to the recurve.

As Bill stated, the wind reduction of the windshield due to it being 4" wider is significant. Bottom line is I love it. As to gas mileage I went from 44 down to 42 as an average mpg.

I have the stock windshield I'll just ship to you of you want it. PM me and let me know.

Nico

Thank you all for your help!

Stock Windscreen is listed under Cowling 1 on the Parts Fiche. I guess Cowling 1 is the literal translation of Windshield or screen from Japanese? Not sure why they don't just call it windshield....

*snip*

So its just a mear 319.00 MSRP for the stock height or $270.00 at boats.net ..... maybe less at others....

1 1D6-2837U-00-00 SCREEN $319.88 $270.30

I'm in the market for a replacement as well. Kind of like the Memphis shades batwing, but no listing for the RSTD.

Derrek

Thanks Derrek, this is really useful. I can get my shoppin' on!

I have a clearview the largest one they have with Lowers and 5 position vent, I will take $150 plus shipping.

Thanks for the offer. I don't know that I'll go with a Clearview. Does yours have the recurve? Like it?

Dave,

The Clearview that the Marshall and I have is the 21 " model with the recurve and the vent. I think the vent helps more with reducing the low pressure pocket directly behind the screen, which generally is the cause of passenger buffeting, than any cooling of the rider. My height is 5'11" and have no issues looking through the windshield. I see no distortion with regard to the recurve.

As Bill stated, the wind reduction of the windshield due to it being 4" wider is significant. Bottom line is I love it. As to gas mileage I went from 44 down to 42 as an average mpg.

I have the stock windshield I'll just ship to you of you want it. PM me and let me know.

Nico

Nico, thanks. PM sent.

Dave