IGNORED

Had our first real accident.

DarkLeftArm

Luckily, both Susan & I RODE away without even a scratch. The bike... well... not so much. My pride... well... you know.

VERY steep hill, very sharp hairpin turn, and I was negligent enough or arrogant enough to attempt it in 3rd gear. Right at the apex of the turn, the bike lugged, shuddered, and stalled. The roadbed was very steep to our right, so the bike pitched us off like ragdolls. we were tossed clear into some very soft loose gravel, and our full riding gear paid for itself in a nanosecond.

Long story longer, the bike got skinned up pretty bad. All the plastic on the right side got deep scratches. No cracks, though.

Took it to the dealership this am for an insurance estimate, and they don't actually FIX anything. they just replace it. What I really want to do is take the check from the insurance, and fix it myself, if they'll go with that.

Funny thing is, I was just getting ready to spring for a new F4 tall & wide windshield. Have a good reason to toss the old one now.

Nice, big greasy slab of humble pie for me.

I have been riding for only 19 months, logging about 17,000 miles along the way, so I think I am fortunate to get off this easy.

Glad you all came out of that Okay. Sounds like a very slow slow ooops. Yes lugging around to slow can also get you into trouble on those inclines, and quick. Very easily done after a long day of riding to.

You probably was not on a trip. But since you say you have not been riding long, I want to share something with you my friend.

Anytime your on a trip, or just plain worn out from a long day at work, do not ride until you are completely give out. Get some rest and enjoy tomorrow. I have learnt that there is no need to push yourself.

My friend and I did that last year on a return trip because we did not want to pay for a room 130 miles from home and getting dark. I did check on one and it was $120.00 for the night. I wanted to stay but my friend said ayyy lets just go on home. Well he learnt the hard way to. We where completely worn out and had to really concentrate to get on home. A bad mistake.

This year the first thing he talked about was that we do not need to do that again.

Sorry if I sound like a teacher, but wanted to share that.

Fuzzy :thumbsup2: :usa:

Glad you are OK. I just received the copy of Ride like a Pro III. Uhm.... guess timing was just a little off...:confused24:

I'll be PMing you about a get together to watch the video like we talked about. Again, glad you both are OK. :happy65:

Bill

Guest scarylarry

Your looking at around 2000.00 in damage..

The bag alone is 1300.00, your right they don't repair they replace with prepaint parts and they look good..

That price is the dealer price though..

I laid mine down on the right side also and it was around 7k for labor and parts..

I'm just glad the other rider HAD Ins.

Glad you two are alright we were riding the same type of roads here last weekend thought I was being over cautious down shifting so far on those 15 MPH hairpins glad I did now.

Sorry but looks like a lot more damage to the trunk and passenger backrest than scratches maybe just the pic but looks like there might be some internal damage the way there mated together there.

Glad you and yours are OK. Remember 2nd gear is very versatile.Good to around 40 or 50 before the rev limiter kicks in IIRC.

As long as you own the bike outright and don't have a lien holder you should be able to collect the check form the insurance company no problem. If you are doing the work yourself, you'll probably have to pay the dealer their fee for writing the estimate. If they total bike, depending on your state, you can request to retain the salvage rights on the bike. In most instances, you will get the "totaled value" less whatever the insurance company assigns as a salvage value.

In some states in this scenario, if you retain the bike, The Insurance compnay cuts you a check for the net and the title never changes or gets assigned a salvage designation. Other states the title will get branded.

RSTDdog

Really glad you guys came through ok. Payment to you depends on your carrier. Some insurance companies are ok with that some are not. Some body shops can repair and match the paint on the plastic. Prices will vary widely.

Also a little side plug here. Check out the v-max rear end swap. It reduces lugging quite a bit. Doesn't even care if it's your fault.

Glad you two got through without a scratch!:cool10:

Sorry about the wreck, but it does make one a believer in protective gear.

Bike's can be fixed, people are much harder to put back together. :backinmyday:

An MSF Experienced Rider's Course, (ERC), will go a long ways toward restoring the confidence factor that usually takes a significant hit after a spill like this one.