IGNORED

Clutch bleeding problem? HELP!

I just finished draining the old fluid and filling with fresh Dot 4. I bled it until I have all new fluid from the bleeder valve and no bubbles. Problem is now with the system all closed up I cant get the clutch lever to build any pressure and engage the clutch. Any suggestions to solve the problem?

When I had the same thing happen to my 1st gen (the 83), I went out and purchased a vacuum bleeder/tester. Some say that you can just let it sit for a bit and the air will work out of the master cylinder, but I've never tried that.

http://www.harborfreight.com/brake-bleeder-and-vacuum-pump-kit-92474.html

(I'm not saying this is the best deal around, merely an example of what I'm talking about)

Frank D.

I bled my '06 two weeks ago...thought I had it all bled but no pressure...bled it again till no bubbles and clear fluid....closed the bleeder valve and topped off the master cylinder and the pressure was good....you may need to bleed it a time or two more to get it all cleared...I installed the speed bleeder and got a real good strong clutch pull now.

good luck!

BigDawg:080402gudl_prv:

I hope I dont need to pressure bleed them. I dont understand why it wont pump up as it appears I have no more air in the system? Maybe it will be better in the morning if I let it sit overnight? I bled it multiple times and did use a speed bleeder.

Guest scarylarry

Samething happen to me..

Close the bleeder off top off and be sure the bars are turn to the right side that was my mistake..

Top master off and then very easy start pulling the lever in and keep working it you should see bubbles coming from the master piston...

Be damn sure that you cover that bike cause when it makes a big burp fluid will spatter when it comes out...

Do this and let set for about 5 mins. and do it some more...Keep doing this to all air is gone...

:thumbsup2: Thanks for the tip Larry! Slow pumping the clutch lever with the reservoir cover off did the trick. I got quite a few bubbles out of the piston hole and now have good pressure and a clutch! I never thought about bleeding bubbles at the reservoir when I had such clean fluid and no bubbles at the bleeder after bleeding it multiple times. Like you said, just pump it slow and cover everything, it didnt burp too bad but I felt better with everything covered just in case.

:thumbsup2: Thanks for the tip Larry! Slow pumping the clutch lever with the reservoir cover off did the trick. I got quite a few bubbles out of the piston hole and now have good pressure and a clutch! I never thought about bleeding bubbles at the reservoir when I had such clean fluid and no bubbles at the bleeder after bleeding it multiple times. Like you said, just pump it slow and cover everything, it didnt burp too bad but I felt better with everything covered just in case.

I was just going to suggest the same thing as Larry. Larry knows his stuff.

Fuzzy :thumbsup2:

I installed speed bleeders all around on my bike. They make the job of bleeding the clutch and brakes so much easier.

Pumping the lever with it cracked open till all bubbles are gone. You just have to make sure you keep fresh fluid in the resvoir so you don't draw in new air.

Larry

Just my :2cents:, but If you do use a vacuum bleeder, it has been my experience, that they work better if you 1st put Teflon tape in the bleeder screw threads. This keeps from sucking air around the threads, so you can actually tell when all the air is out of the system.