IGNORED

Riding in rain???????

Flyinfool

OK it is looking like I will get wet wet wet on the way to MD.

I have never ridden more than a few miles in town in the rain.

On this trip I will be pulling a trailer, also something new for me.

I did get new tires last week. Unfortunately I was only able to get about 80 miles on them to get them scuffed in. They still have the nubbies on them.

I will have a supply of Ziploc bags for the GPS.

I will be wearing my Gortex Blaze orange hunting gear. So I should stay warm and fairly dry.

Other than the obvious like slow down, keep longer distance for stopping, what are some things I should do and or watch for?

They are talking up to 3/4 inch of rain with possible ponding. What is the the best thing to do if you come over a hill and find standing water on the road?

I wear glasses, How do you keep them clear? How do I keep the helmet visor clear?

The wind screen sheds water pretty good at speed, but blocks the wind from blowing water off the visor.

What else do I need to know?

Some jerk at the weather service did not read the rules about no rain for MD....

TAKE YOUR TIME!

Ride safe.

I guess I would avoid standing water at all cost.

Your on the free-way most of the way and that shouldn't be a problem,

Good Luck and be safe. :255:

Edited by Bubber

Good you have a visor. I wear glasses as well and without the extra protection of the helmet screen I could not see a thing. I usually wax up the windscreen AND my visor which usually keeps the water beaded up and have no problem seeing.

I pulled my trailer a couple of years ago home from the Arkansas International. 2nd day it rained hard all day. Try to stay away from larger vehicles due to the spray. Take your time and leave some space.

Are you travelling with anyone else?

I was going to be with a couple of Hondas but they have not been answering my PMs to make final arrangements.

So I do not know at this point If I will be traveling alone or not. I will be traveling on I-80 most of the way so someone from here may catch up to me along the way.

I did have in my plan to stop every 100 miles for gas and a break. If it is raining I may stop more often. The trip is 417 miles and my plan is to take 9 hours to do it, with stops for breakfast and lunch.

I already warned my CC company that I will be making a lot of small gas purchases in a short amount of time.

I'll have to find some wax for the visor. Would Pledge work?

First, do not be afraid of riding in the rain. Motorcycles get excellent traction in the rain and do not hydroplane as bad as cars. In fact, the opposite has been my experience. My bikes have always sliced through a little standing water without any drama.

A couple of things that I will mention;

After a long dry spell the roads tend to accumulate oils and stuff. I will generally pull over and let this stuff get washed away.

Hard rain makes it hard for cars and trucks to see you. I will turn on my emergency flashers until I can safely pull off and wait for it to let up.

I put my feet in plastic bags and then put on my boots. Keeps my feet warm and dry.

Carry extra gloves.

:080402gudl_prv:

I use plexus to clean my windshield and face shield on my full face helmet. That and a good rain suit and I have ridden many miles in the rain. Just as you've already considered, slow down, increase your stopping distance, take turns slower. But, try to keep enough speed up on the straight roads to let the wind sheet the rain off of your windshield and visor.

Also, when I keep my speed up I get very little direct rain on myself. The fairing and windshield deflect most of it.

Dennis

Take it EASY

If you can avoid it do so.. adjust you departure time

Check you forecast when you stop for fuel to see if it is worth letting the rain clear out a little or pushing to get ahead of if

Run with the High beam on this may prevent someone from pulling out in front of you due to not seeing you

If you have emergency flashers and the rain is real bad use them

If the rain is so bad you cant see take a break

Don't let your ego say I can do it

Its not a race

Motorcycles handle fine in the rain.

Safety First .........

MC tires have 95% of their traction in the rain,,, maybe not so much in standing water, but as mentioned they do a pretty good job of slicing through the wet. Question always is, do you make a sudden maneuver to avoid a puddle or ride through it? Always a question, but sometimes riding through is a whole lot better than losing traction because of some knee jerk reaction. You'd be amazed what these machines can do. As far as your tires being ready, the nobbies are still on mine after 1000 km, and I would say that 80 miles puts you in good shape that way.

Wax up your windshield and visor,,,, maybe even your glasses,,, I don't wear glasses so I don't know about that one. So far my windshield has 4 coats of wax on it,,, wait about 4 hours between coats,, and I take along rainX just in case.

I used to get Anti Fog it was called for my glasses and gun scopes, you may be able to get it at a sporting goods shop it worked well but I havent been able to find it around here now. I had pledge on my windsheild last weekend and seemed to a good job and we were in the rain all afternoon.

Have a safe ride

Orlin

Not really much I can add to the above, I wear polorized sunglasses in the rain makes it a little eaiser to see but it does not mean they will see you. If you can not avoid the standing water go through it straight and slow and make no sudden moves. You don't know whats under it so expect anything 3/4 inch should be little or no effect. Keeping dry is a must as already stated. If you can't see stop till you can. One thing other than the rain itself will be the wind that comes with storms be aware of it and if it is lightning take cover you can get hit.

Enjoy your ride and Stay Safe

If you get caught in a heavy downpour, try to stay away from the tire "troughs" on blacktop as they tend to fill up. As for standing water...don't squeeze the bars too hard (some folks tend to stiffen up and white knuckle). If you've ever ridden in soft sand or snow (dirt bike?), the same rules more or less apply...let her go where she wants to go and keep the front wheel pointed in the direction you're moving. Stay off the brakes and decelerate smoothly...as was mentioned earlier...no sudden moves. I've had the pleasure of hydroplaning for a very short distance and it's not a scary as most think...you have new tires so it would have to be quite deep to cause that to happen.

PMA (Positive Mental Attitude) goes a long way.

Jeff,

If you can get up here, I have some waterproof boot covers and waterproof gloves you can borrow. Also have a couple of different rain suits you can choose from, but they may be a little large for you. We can get your visor and windshield Plexus'd up. Other than that, just take it easy, increase your following distances, and enjoy it.

RR

I wanted to make sure and point out that even though motorcycle tires maintain excellent traction in wet conditions that road surface is what should be of major concern. Wet asphalt, concrete, and especailly anything metal such as expansion joints commonly used on overpasses and bridges provide less traction when they are wet regardless of what tires you are using. Also anything that is painted or tarred can be slippery when wet. As far as standing water goes just try and be proactive and avoid it if you can otherwise just ride through and stay relaxed. As far as keeping your glasses and faceshield clear here is my experience: Don't let your glasses get wet. Keep you visor down enough to let air flow without getting your glasses wet as they are nearly impossible to clear without stopping and make much more difficult to see through. Hope you are planning on wearing a full face helmet. Otherwise I wish you much luck in keeping clear vision. As far as gear goes I hope that whatever you have will keep you comfortable. The most dangerous thing about riding in wet weather for long periods of time is getting wet and uncomfortable and losing your concentration on things that matter. Wet hands,water running down your neck, a wet crotch, and wet feet while riding in the pouring rain going 65 MPH and trying to focus on the road conditions and everythin going on around you is extremely difficult. One last thing to take into consideration. A very large concern should be given to all the other vehicle that you are sharing the road with. They to have less traction in wet conditions but rarely adjust they way they drive. Take extra notice of the vehicles around you to make sure and be preparred for someone else to do something entirely stupid. A car zooming past you who splashes water up on you can be very startling if you are expecting it. Have a great trip and stay safe. If you go well prepared riding in the rain can be nearly as enjoyable as riding in dry conditions.

Edited by 09RSTD

Thanks for the offer Jeff, but I will not be able to make it up there.

Since it is supposed to be in the 40's when I leave I will be wearing my orange Gortex hunting suit, that should keep me warm and dry. The coat has removable Gortex liners so I can adjust the warmth as required and still stay dry. I have a warm pair and a thin par of Gortex pants.

I will also be wearing Gortex, insulated boots.

I do have some Gortex gloves but they are mot the best insulated. I will take 2 pair of gloves. If my hands or anything else gets cold, I'll stop and warm up. I have no specific time schedule to meet.

I have been using Pledge on the windshield and it seems to shed the water pretty well, I will add some to my visor. This new helmet has never seen rain so I have no idea what it will do.

Lots of good advice in this thread. I'm going to use as much of it as I am able.

Towing a trailer will be a nice help your peace of mind. It helps you keep pointed straight. The lights also seem to be more visible to followers, which is good thing. Just check the seals... persistent rain with lame seals beget wet stuff. I carry the important dry stuff (pillow, bedding) in space bags that vaccum dry.

I wear glasses under a visor. My biggest issue is fog inside the visor. On the RSTD, in except the hardest rain, I keep the visor up. The windscreen of the RSTD keeps me dry. To "wipe" off my visor, I stick my head around the windscreen into the breeze and it blows dry like at a auto car wash. Um, when it isn't raining, that is.

I've learned that even old gloves carry plenty of ink that transfers to my hands when it rains. Oh well, anticipate it. My hands are also the cold spot because they are exposed and wet.

I carry a trash bag to cover my seat while fueling. Otherwise, it soaks my britches when I get back on.

I ride with my fancy LED lights flashing in the rain. Those are the ones that glow when parked. They are really bright in dim light.

If your vision is impaired or there is lightning, pull over. Trading time for life expectancy is an easy choice.

If you ride in the rain, enjoy it. Rainy riding isn't a big deal, and you will sound like a tough guy to your fair weather riding friends.

Dave

One other thing, watch out for the "grease strip" down the center of the lane, ESPECIALLY when it first starts raining. All the oil, antifreeze and other crap from the cages will float to the surface and make this are EXTREMELY slick until it's been "washed off" by a heavy rain. Light rain is really worse than heavy because it does not "remove" the grease strip. I'll usually pull over and let nature wash the road for a spell if I have any distance to go.

Other than that, the other comments pretty well have it covered. Don't do anything "quick" (braking, lane changes, etc. etc.) Take your time, pay attention and give extra attention to following distances. You'll be fine! Ride safe!!

I use a couple heavy coats of rainx on both the windshield and my faceshield. I also wear gasses and if i'm cought in the rain I just open my faceshield a quarter inch or so and it keeps everything clear. The trick is to open it at the first sign that it wants to fog up. Make sure you rainx both inside and outside of the windshield as the water tends to roll over the top of it. Rainx also makes an anti fog you may want to use on the inside of your faceshield. As far as riding in the rain don't tense up, and go easy on the throttle and easier on the brakes. Have a great ride.

I use a couple heavy coats of rainx on both the windshield and my faceshield. I also wear gasses and if i'm cought in the rain I just open my faceshield a quarter inch or so and it keeps everything clear. The trick is to open it at the first sign that it wants to fog up. Make sure you rainx both inside and outside of the windshield as the water tends to roll over the top of it. Rainx also makes an anti fog you may want to use on the inside of your faceshield. As far as riding in the rain don't tense up, and go easy on the throttle and easier on the brakes. Have a great ride.

Is there a RainX for plastic? :confused07: I was always told to stay away from regular RainX that it would fog plastic so I never tried it.

I don't think this has been mentioned yet, but if so, it bears mentioning again:

Watch out for the PAINT!!!! yes the painted lines on the road and for stop signs, and turning lanes,, they can be slick as snot, treat them as you would a piece of ice.

I don't think this has been mentioned yet, but if so, it bears mentioning again:

Watch out for the PAINT!!!! yes the painted lines on the road and for stop signs, and turning lanes,, they can be slick as snot, treat them as you would a piece of ice.

Good reminder.

I knew that from the truck, but had not thought about it relative to the bike.

Well everything is packed and ready to go.

Windshield and visor are cleaned and waxed.

Lots of drink ready to go.

I'll stop for food.

Come on 3am...............3am?........Did I just say that?:confused24: