IGNORED

Tach for doing maintenance

XV1100SE

I picked up a digital multi-meter from Canadian Tire ($150) that came with an inductive pickup thinking for that price I'd have no problem doing an rpm reading for tune-ups. What I found was that the reading at idle would jump all over the place in the range of 300rpm to 1500rpm. Repositioning the pick-up didn't fix it and I couldn't get a steady reading.

Need a recommendation on a tach/multi-meter that will give a steady reading and is usable for setting the idle on the RSV.

I've seen the Harbor Freight on online ($30 - http://www.harborfreight.com/lcd-automotive-multimeter-with-tachometer-kit-95670.html ) but is it any good / usable?

What is recommended or used by members ?

I like the look of the Baron's 1" tach that mounts on the resevoir but don't want to spend that much money and don't really need a permanent unit. Just want a simple removable (multi-meter or dedicated to just rpm) tach for the times I synch my carbs.

I got the meter from Harbor Freight. I had a lot of problems with it until I swapped out the inductive pickup with the one from my Fluke meter (which doesn't have a tach function). With the Fluke pickup it worked pretty well, but I seldom use it since I have the Baron's reservoir mounted tach and just set idle rpms by that.

By the way, I like the Baron's tach since I really like having a tach on the bike, but the housing chrome is only so-so. After about six years it's starting to show some tiny zits, and it gets waxed. Eventually I expect to use a Ponch style faceplate and reposition the tach itself to where the tape deck will used-to-be when I finally get around to doing it.

I picked up a "tiny tach" , couple of wraps of the lead wire around the # 1 plug and your good to go. Only downside is that there is a half second or so lag between when you blip the throttle and the readng actually shows on the tach