IGNORED

Any way to bypass Cincinnati?

wes0778

We'll be leaving Hopkinsville, KY Thursday morning, taking the Western KY Parkway to Elizabethtown.

1st question is would I-65 to Louisville and I-71 be better than continuing on the Bluegrass Parkway to Lexington and I-75 north?

2nd question is what about taking US-27 out of Lexington to US-62 to meet I-71 south of Columbus, OH, thus by-passing Cincinnati? :fingers-crossed-emo

Which Elizabethtown? KY, Pa, Il, NY, NC, Ohio? Sorry I'm a visual kinda guy. I plugged it into Google maps and it asked me. If I can kind of look at then I get a sense of what your going for. Also you want interstate? All backroads or maybe a mixture of both. I can tell you the Bluegrass is very limited on speed. Like 35mph I think so its slow going and may take you more than you think. But its nice sceenery. Oh but wait you got to steer right?

From Etown, I would go I-65 to the Gene Snyder around Louisville to I-71 toward Cincy. About 15 miles south of Cincy, take I-275 east and connect with I-71 north on the northeast side of town.

Depending on what time of day you are coming through, you could still be good coming in to Cincy and taking I-71 at the river. I drive those roads every day and it usually isn't any problem before 4 p.m.

If you want to go off the interstate system, Rt 27 from Lexington, through Paris, will connect with I-275 south and east of the city and you could come around that way to I-71.

It just depends on how quickly you want to get there.

From Etown, I would go I-65 to the Gene Snyder around Louisville to I-71 toward Cincy. About 15 miles south of Cincy, take I-275 east and connect with I-71 north on the northeast side of town.

Depending on what time of day you are coming through, you could still be good coming in to Cincy and taking I-71 at the river. I drive those roads every day and it usually isn't any problem before 4 p.m.

If you want to go off the interstate system, Rt 27 from Lexington, through Paris, will connect with I-275 south and east of the city and you could come around that way to I-71.

It just depends on how quickly you want to get there.

275 around Cincinnati is a good idea. Only change I would make is you should exit at SR42 before 71 and go have some Skyline Chili with Yama Mama:lightbulb:

BG parkway to Versailles, pick up US 62 in Versailles, run that all the way to Columbus. From Versailles during a week day you can make it in about 3½ hours, give or take about 30 minutes.

Or, since you are only a feww feet off of US68, run 68 to Maysville and then 62 to Columbus,maybe 6-6½ hours from Hoptown. Back when I was trucking I would go 68/62 from Paris and beat the guys to Columbus who went to Cinci on 75 and up 71

This is a good post to bookmark. I've been going to B2Dad's place vie I-75 thru Cincy and west on I-71 for the last couple years and truth be told I just dread driving thru from Dayton to I-71. Traffic is just plain horrible. Time of day or day doesn't seem to make much of a difference either. And I thought driving thru Detroit was bad. No comparison. I'm deffineately going to use one of these alternate routes next time even if it does add extra mileage getting around that area.

Larry

I would agree that I-75 through Dayton is far more maddening than Cincy any day. The construction there is going to last forever it seems.

I should run over to Sharonville for some Skyline with Yama Mama one of these days. On a good day, I can smell them cooking it at the main plant over here.

We'll be leaving Hopkinsville, KY Thursday morning, taking the Western KY Parkway to Elizabethtown.

1st question is would I-65 to Louisville and I-71 be better than continuing on the Bluegrass Parkway to Lexington and I-75 north?

2nd question is what about taking US-27 out of Lexington to US-62 to meet I-71 south of Columbus, OH, thus by-passing Cincinnati? :fingers-crossed-emo

Punch your GPS in to avoid the traffic. Sometimes do the shortest instead of fastest distance will also get you on the back roads and out of the traffic. I have found that a decent GPS is really a good piece of traveling information/tool. Just learn about all the neat features in your GPS. But do not leave with out a good old map.

Fuzzy