IGNORED

cheap trailer

I know from time to time riders are looking for a cheap trailer, I'm one of them, I've been looking for about 9 months, and had settled on getting a small trailer and building one & then last night I find a gem... now it is on back order, BUT i'm in no hurry..

http://www.harborfreight.com/automotive-motorcycle/trailer-accessories/600-lb-capacity-78-inch-tag-along-trailer-66771.html

Guest tx2sturgis

Lots of members here pull that trailer....just do a search on the site for "HF trailer" or "harbor freight tag-a-long"...something like that.

You will find ideas for modifications and improvements, such as: bearings, electrical, and suspension.

Enjoy.

:happy34:

I read something on one of the trailers like that. The recomendation was when you get it pull the wheel bearing out and repack them as they are not allways done real well. The LED tail lights seem to be really popular with those also.

http://www.venturerider.org/classifieds/showproduct.php?product=4088&title=home-made-trailer&cat=18

I got one for sale thats real similiar, just a little longer tongue and Im not far from you. Just a day trip ride to meet you . Ok little more than a day ride but hey its for sale and ready to pull and arangements could be made to get it there.

David

Funny I was looking for one at harbor freight not long ago and they said no longer sold here?

So I bought a new/used Piggy Backer 07 model that never been on the road for 500.00 by looking at the photo's the HF trailer is the same as the Piggy Backer except the Piggy Backer has chrome wheels with longer tongue with cooler rack.

HF trailer is less than half price of a new PG trailer and both are from China LOL

Buddy

When I bought mine I followed thecustomer comments and did the following :

- repack bearings

- rubber tubing (actually a piece of garden hose) on the shackle bolt (rear capture bolt)

- replaced lights with LED's

- put rubber (another piece of black garden hose) thru the holes where the wiring went thru the frame

- replaced the zerk fittings - one was broken out of the box

- replaced bolts holding the "car carrier" box to the frame with eye bolts. Will replace these with ones I saw at a trailer store that fold flat. This way I can use helmet nets to secure any load down while trailering

- shimmed coupler bolts with a couple washers - DON'T over tighten or it squezes the coupler in and the ball release won't work properly

I didn't see how to remove the overload spring so I left it in. Didn't flip the axle either.

I did most, removed the ol spring , new zerks, repack the bearings with real marine wheel bearing grease, extended the tongue, made a cooler rack for the front, LED's and third brake light ( on a 4 flat plug with some help from the fine folks here) and put foam around the seal and slapped a spare under, made a jack stand for the front. Took a piece of 2x6 and drilled a hole about 3" taller than the axle, angled the sides and that is my emergency jack.

Everyone said it was gone and I stopped at Harbor Freight and they had a sale on a smaller trailer, I told the manager what I was doing and he said this just came in yesterday and he hadn't seen one in a while so I snatched it up.

I did have to mind wrestle the folks at the DMV, they said I had to pay auto sales tax ( I gave them a copy of my receipt) they said the seller needed a dealer number, I had the certificate of origin, and they didn't understand the MTA (motorcycle trailer plate) and argued with me. In the end I submitted the forms and I have received my title and my mta plates.

If tightening bolts at the coupler crushes the tubing and causes problems. Is there anyway to put a piece of tubing like elec conduit inbetween the parts say maybe an 1/8 narrower and then insert bolt. The conduit will keep it from disforming enough to cause you problems I think, but yet allow some tightness onthe bolts.