The PO wired up air horns but they are wired to a different button on the handle bars that is not easily reached.

Sort of defeats the purpose if I have to go hunting for the button every time.

So, I want to use the original horn button.

The compressor is mounted just under the passenger back rest, with the horns under the saddlebags.

I have print outs and directions on wiring the relay into the horn switch.

My questions are.....

1. The instructions say "20 amp fused from batt to post 87". Is this an extra inline fuse direct to batt post or do I just come off the fuse block using that fuse?
  2. Can I hook into the pink and brown wires right down beside the OEM horn and run the 2 wires to the back or does it have to be hooked in up near the button for any reason?
  3. Can I remove both OEM horns or is there any reason I would have to leave leave one on.
  4. If I decide to add a steibel horn as well, (which I am thinking of doing) do I need to run a 2nd relay or can I just tap into the same circuit as the existing air horns.
  5. When I add running lights, do I use the same fuse as in question #1 , run another inline fuse or what?

Steve,

You can use the exsisting horn wires to operate the relay, the separate 20 amp fuse will power the relay as you want to get the horn all the power it wants to operate. Use a larger wire to feed both the relay and the horn from the relay. I would contact Larry Skeels (Carbon One) and purchase one of his horn wiring kits. It's simple stupid to install and I have installed several of them, makes a huge difference in how loud an aftermarket horn will be :2cents:

Sort of defeats the purpose if I have to go hunting for the button every time. So, I want to use the original horn button.

Good idea. Use the wire to one of the original horns to power the relay using terminals 85 and 86. The fused power to 87 can come from the fuse block or from a separate fuse. There is no operational problem sharing fuses between several apps as long as the draw does not exceed fuse's capacity but doing so will make it a bit more difficult to troubleshoot a blown fuse.

Seems to me the best way is to use the stock horn wires to power two relays, one on each side. One relay going to the air horn and the other relay going to the stock horns which can be swapped out for Steibels any time you want. Or one relay can power the air horn and one stock horn and the other relay can power a Steibel and a stock horn.