IGNORED

?s On Changing Rad Fluid On My 91 VR

So I'm about to change the Rad Fluid On My 91 VR.

1) I'm guessing that the Rad Plug just above the oil filter is where I drain the rad fluid. Is that the lowest point for the rad fluid or might there another place also?

2) I'm plan to put the plug back in and fill with water and drain again a couple 2 or 3 times?

3) With it full of just water I plan on running the engine so to circulate the water through out the entire cooling system to get every last drop of old anti freeze out.

4) After I flush the Rad for the last time, I'm going to install Sky_Docs Rad Drain up grade Kit.

5) I've read that any anti freeze today will be just fine. But to stay away from silcone based anti freeze. I plan on getting regular Prestone premix 50/50.

6) How much Watercooler additive do I put in. I'm planning on a summer visit to Las Vegas and the surrounding areas this Late June / early July.

Any suggestions?

When you buy PreMix coolant, you are paying an outrageous price for water.

Buy a gallon of standard antifreeze and mix it 50/50 in another container.

Personally I think you are going overboard flushing it that many times, unless it looks very dirty. If it does look dirty inside, which I have not seen one that was, then you probably want to consider a Prestone flush kit.

Drain it stick a hose in radiator cap and let some water flow through for a couple of minutes & be done with it.

You will need to fill it as full as it will go, leave radiator cap off, then start motor and allow it to come up to full temp in order to get radiator topped off.

Gary

Ok... Just got back from Walmart and it was 10.50 for premix and 12.50 for standard so I got 2 gallons of standard. Also a rebate of 15.00 for 2 gallons.

Ok... If it looks dirty I'll do the Prestone Flush.

OK... Drain it stick a hose in radiator cap and let some water flow through for a couple of minutes & be done with it.

OK... So on the actual refill with new anti freeze.....You will need to fill it as full as it will go, leave radiator cap off, then start motor and allow it to come up to full temp in order to get radiator topped off.

After putting the rad cap back on. Then I need to put some in the over flow container in the right faring. I do not recall seeing a mark to fill to.

If you have the fairing on the bike they can be a little tough to see. There are two marks on the back of the reserve (to the rear of the bike). One for low and one for high. A flashlight will help you see them. Top this off after closing the radiator cap and setting the drain valve to OFF. Check it again after cooling off from a ride.

Mike

After putting the rad cap back on. Then I need to put some in the over flow container in the right faring. I do not recall seeing a mark to fill to.

About half full on the reservoir. It has an overflow tube that will dump it out the back of the bike if it is to full, no harm no foul.

Gary

Thank You all, got it done.

Have one question.

Well I learn that the drain plug does not screw off and after reading about it decided to leave it alone. I'll upgrade it when it starts to leak.

The question is after turning it several times. I do not know where to turn the drain plug to its origional position.

Any help here appreciated.

Thank You all, got it done.

Have one question.

Well I learn that the drain plug does not screw off and after reading about it decided to leave it alone. I'll upgrade it when it starts to leak.

The question is after turning it several times. I do not know where to turn the drain plug to its origional position.

The ON/OFF is only a drain or flow selector value. It does not screw off. The small screw on the left side (as looking at it) holds a small spring and ball bearing to act as a detent into the plastic body of the valve. It does NOT need to be removed unless you intend to replace the O-ring on the valve.

ON allows you to drain the sytem and OFF is for the running setting.

The actual drain plug is under the water pump on the right side and you MUST remove that in order to drain the coolant fully.