So I'm trying to re-mount my R/R that fell of the other day. (I would copy the link to my previous post and pics but I haven't figured out how to do that yet) The bracket that the exhaust hanger mounts to, as well as the R/R, is slightly bent now and I'm not sure if the forward mount for the R/R is correct. So my question(s) is...

Does the front of the R/R mount to bolt that also secures the fuel pump and is the R/R suppose to touch the drive shaft housing at all, cuz mine is.

I still need to straighten the exhaust hanger bracket to properly secure the rear portion of the R/R but it seems, based on the pics, that the R/R will still be in contact with the drive shaft housing, towards the front, and I'm assuming that moves as the rear suspension is "activated."

Can someone confirm that proper mounting for the R/R on my 86 VR and possibly post a pic for my visual brain? :sick:

If you're using the OEM R/R yep... the original mounting spot is your best bet. It tucks in nice and has good clearance for exhaust pipe and tire.

I used an aftermarket R/R with a adaptor plate I had to make and I had clearance for the tire and some for the exhaust pipe, but not enough.

If you change the postion of the R/R be aware of the clearance and even more so.... heat from the pipes or you might end up with the mess I made.

Mike

Why don't you use the original mounting position? If you look at the last picture, you will see two holes on the frame that match up with the R/R. All you have to do is get the right size screws and put it back on.

One screw is longer than the other.

RandyA

I'm not sure where the original mounting position was/is because the front portion had come off. I'm thinking it's suppose to secure to the fuel pump mouting bolt but when I screwed it in it seemed to be rubbing on the drive shaft housing.

I did "Google" it and it looks like I do have the original R/R...

I marked the pic below with where I think it should mount. Is this what you were refering to regarding the two holes in the frame?

Really appreciate the help! :bighug:

I'm not sure where the original mounting position was/is because the front portion had come off. I'm thinking it's suppose to secure to the fuel pump mouting bolt but when I screwed it in it seemed to be rubbing on the drive shaft housing.

I did "Google" it and it looks like I do have the original R/R...

I marked the pic below with where I think it should mount. Is this what you were refering to regarding the two holes in the frame?

Really appreciate the help! :bighug:

Nope, your not mounted correctly, lower on the front end & roughly even with the front of the fuel pump. It sits lower than the top of the bottom frame tube & ahead of the sub frame attachment point.

Ok, I see Gary has the pics covered (as per normal)......

Sa-weet!!! Thanks guys, this is very helpful! I should be able to figure it out with the pics and the explanations...

Now to convince my Sergeant that I need to leave early to work on my bike :rotf:

Thanks again!

Brian

Allow me to present another alternative.

I mounted my R/R to the underside of the "tank cover" using 2 stainless bolts and acorn nuts. I had to make some extensions for the wiring of it and then wrapped all the bundles in heatshrink tubing.

Pic1 shows what it looks like from the outside/top.

Pic 2 shows the ground wire that I connected from the R/R to the tank cover mounting bolt at the rear. Whether this ground was necessary or not I don't know, but I included it for good measure.

Pic 3 actually shows the R/R mounted to the underside of the cover.

Pic 4 shows the ventholes I cut in the front of the tank cover with the idea that it would help introduce cooling airflow along the underside of the cover, blowing across the battery top (keeping it cooled some) and directly over the R/R and probably allowing somewhat cooler air to enter the airbox opening as well. This is just a guess- no scientific measurements were made before and after as to the airflow temperature in that vicinity.

Thanks for the idea Keemez... I might just look into that.

To go with the "stock" placement I think I've found the spots based on the explanations and pics. Seems that the front hole is a bit larger than the bolt will be but I guess a lock washer and lock-tite should do the trick.

Am I on the right track? :confused24:

I mounted my R/R to the underside of the "tank cover" using 2 stainless bolts and acorn nuts. I had to make some extensions for the wiring of it and then wrapped all the bundles in heatshrink tubing.

Pic 2 shows the ground wire that I connected from the R/R to the tank cover mounting bolt at the rear. Whether this ground was necessary or not I don't know, but I included it for good measure.

Pic 4 shows the ventholes I cut in the front of the tank cover with the idea that it would help introduce cooling airflow along the underside of the cover, blowing across the battery top (keeping it cooled some) and directly over the R/R and probably allowing somewhat cooler air to enter the airbox opening as well. This is just a guess- no scientific measurements were made before and after as to the airflow temperature in that vicinity.

The reason Yamaha put it where they did is because it needs airflow to keep it cool. It can dissipate a lot of heat.

The reason Yamaha put it where they did is because it needs airflow to keep it cool. It can dissipate a lot of heat.

Yeah- I'm fairly confident that there's a lot cooler air flowing over it now than sitting behind the exhaust collector. And a lot MORE airflow too. Yamaha's pretty sharp but they don't always get everything right.

IF that was your original R/R, which is a "shunt type" be careful, because it dissipates a LOT of heat, which is why most of those older types are located on the frame where they can receive cooling airflow. I replaced my with a Shindengen Mosfet version, which is solid state, runs cool to the touch, and can be mounted on or near ABS plastic. I believe SkyDoc sells a replacement version. I've had mine for 3 years now, mounted in the upper left fairing where my tape deck/radio used to be (took it all out) and have never had a problem.

My .02, FWIW. Ken

IF that was your original R/R, which is a "shunt type" be careful, because it dissipates a LOT of heat, which is why most of those older types are located on the frame where they can receive cooling airflow. I replaced my with a Shindengen Mosfet version, which is solid state, runs cool to the touch, and can be mounted on or near ABS plastic. I believe SkyDoc sells a replacement version. I've had mine for 3 years now, mounted in the upper left fairing where my tape deck/radio used to be (took it all out) and have never had a problem.

My .02, FWIW. Ken

It was/is. It gets warm but not hot. I repeat- I am confident that it gets far cooler and probably more airflow where I have it now than where it was originally. I've had it mounted in this spot for roughly 15000 miles without a hint of a problem. Some of that was riding in mid 90s temperatures too.