IGNORED

I have an oil leak and need suggestions

KeithR

I just took my bike out of storage and noticed I have an oil leak from the top rear cylinders. I am planning on getting a valve adjustment in the near future if I can get an appointment. Is there anything I can do now to stop it or just leave it till they do the valves?

Thanks Much

Keith

I will start of by saying I'm not real versed in these yet. But it appears as though your vavle covers are leaking. Could be they just need snugged up, or the gaskets could be crispy critters and dont seal anymore. I would try to snug them up. If your going to go get the valves adjusted I would guess from reading posts here it is a normal ocurance to replace the gaskets at that time.

I will start of by saying I'm not real versed in these yet. But it appears as though your vavle covers are leaking. Could be they just need snugged up, or the gaskets could be crispy critters and dont seal anymore. I would try to snug them up. If your going to go get the valves adjusted I would guess from reading posts here it is a normal ocurance to replace the gaskets at that time.

I'd go with the snug up. A 2005 is too new to be having old gasket leakage.

Replace them when you get the valve adjustment. Snug up may work but the gasket gets deteriorated from the oil that pools up in that corner and works its way out, all because of the extreme lean of the bike on its side stand. If your running the full 3.9 qts the manual recommends you can safely drop it to 3.5 to keep the oil from coming out of the airbox as well.

Guest Swifty
Thanks guys.......I gave them a little snug.....I'll make sure they replace them at valve adjustment time.

Keith

But be very careful how much you snug them!

:whistling:

As Swifty said be careful.

These are a shoulder screws. Once the screw as been tightened to the point of contacting the shoulder, there will be no more compression applied to the gasket.

A method several have used is to get a very thin washer very close to the head diameter and place it next to the screw head. This allows a little more compression before shoulder seats.

Gary

I maybe got an 1/8" turn on them if that. Didn't want to do any harm. Just back from the first ride of the season.......last one was Oct 16th.

Man that felt good!!!!!!

Thanks Again

Keith

I maybe got an 1/8" turn on them if that. Didn't want to do any harm. Just back from the first ride of the season.......last one was Oct 16th.

Man that felt good!!!!!!

Thanks Again

Keith

Wow thats a long time off the bike, is that normal for you guys on the rock to have that long an off season?

A couple of my buddies from here are riding out your way last part of July and August, better watch out for a transplanted Newf and a stubblejumper (Broadfoot in VRO) headed your direction , St. Johns and anywhere else they go may not be the same.:banana:

Ya I would say that's about normal....Now I kinda wait till all the crap is off the roads and cager's are use to seeing bikes on the road.I could have been out maybe a couple of weeks ago but I'm a bit of a warm weather rider....Once you hit Oct its cool in the evenings....not for me...

Keith

Guest scarylarry

I have seen this one time before and there was to much oil in the bike...

I did not know how much is to much, just the sight glass was fill pass the top...