IGNORED

H4 style LED bulbs

JohnMidnight

Well I am going to take a stab and you are looking for a replacement for the headlight right? Although I have not used one I have asked about them for the driving lights. The general consensous was they are not bright enough for a headlight. I have ordered a couple for my passing/driving lights though. I think I gave $5 or something off e-bay for them.

If your looking for a headlight alternative, HID might be your best bet. I ran the Sylvania BP 1210 or whatever the number was bulb that is 80w low 100 high. I ran it 5yr in my Kawasaki and never had any problems. I swapped it over to my RSV and I got spooked by guys here saying I was going to melt the wiring for the headlight. I will admit them dang wires are pretty small. So I went with a BI-xenon (hi and lo) HID kit. I think I found it on e-bay and was around $30-40 with the slim ballest and a relay kit. I also had to put a switch on it to turn the light on and off as recomended by other here because the bulb has a low limit built in and the elec draw gets to low when you start the bike so essentially it makes the bulb start twice everytime you start the bike. Causing premature ballest burn out. Hope this helps you out.

From what I have seen (only HD Kit so far) the LED headlights are way way more than I can afford. The HID was mmmm maybe an hour including splitting the fairing. I had a little more time involved being I had to back track and install the switch after I did the conversion.

Would a HID bright enough to allow me to see it better at night while wearing a blue mirror faceshield? Far too many folks misalign their low beams out here.

John, I don't know about that. But i will say that HID width is 3 to 4 times wider than a normal light & will shine up to 4 or 5x farther.. my ole honda light would barley shine the edge of a 2 lane road, when I went to HID it would shine 20 feet past either side of a 6 lane. I could barely see 75ft on high but with HID it'd shine a good 1/4 of a mile or more...it's a different kind of light hard to explain if u have never driven or rode in or on a vehicle that have them.

im using a HID on my 83. huge differance from standard bulb. i did jumper cms, but, it still didnt cancel headlight warning, and the "brights" dash monitor still flickers. but, the actual bulb doesnt flicker. im also running Rigid Industries high power LEDS as running lights. they are SUPER bright! see my post about those. i live on a dirt road. loaded with deer,fox,bobcat,and a bear or two. so, being visible and being able to see them, was a priority. the Rigid setup is brighter than the HID!

• 2 weeks later...

Don't bother I just tried one I got off of E-bay. 120 led H-4 style. light output was pathetic. I will follow the recommendations of those who went with HID. I just got the faring back together. the LED I was looking at from "TruckLite" will not work with out major modification of the stock headlight housing.

The ONLY LED headlight I have seen that was bright enough to be used as a headlight was an entire assembly that cost well over $450.00 Anything less than that will not be safe as a headlight.

Heck, I cant find LED tail lights that are as bright as the bulbs, even the $55.00 ones that are 3Watt are not as bright as a $0.99 Bulb.

Now, LED Foglights that server to make you more visible to cars? Yes, I have a pair. They don't light up the road, but they demand attention from drivers with their painful to look at yellow that is focused forward.

AS for the face shield, flip it up or change it for the clear, in Most states it's illegal to ride at night with a tinted or mirrored face shield and you are severely limiting your side vision to spot a deer running at you. They are actually easy to swap out. I do it every evening, swap to my clear for night riding.

The way the wingnuts designed this Summit III kept the original craptastic faceshield removal system.

IE Its frail -.-' which is what I get for spending 130 for a helmet, and 200 for a useless bluetooth set, lol. Looking into Nolans again.

And damn, well, I've got more work to do before I go into setting the bike up for HID, though the LED tail-light I got is crazy bright :)

Back to the faceshield now... Some states. I use a mirrored shield on clear because the mirror helps reflect the jackwagons with misaligned high output lowbeam set headlights. Actually, with it down on the current light its not bad, just like walking around at night it takes a while before your eyes to adjust. I specifically made sure it was a blue mirror because thats a lot easier to see thru vs Silver. Yellow mirrored works too.But you gotta make sure its mirror on CLEAR. :)