I ordered new tires yesterday and I should have them tomorrow. It's been a long slow process but I've just about got the old girl ready to go.:cool10: I drained the final drive last night. From the looks of the oil, I don't think it's ever been changed. Is there anything special I need to do with the final drive while I have the rear wheel off? It seems like I remember reading something about greasing it or something. There is a grease fitting but I'm not sure if this is the only place that needs to be greased.

I ordered new tires yesterday and I should have them tomorrow. It's been a long slow process but I've just about got the old girl ready to go.:cool10: I drained the final drive last night. From the looks of the oil, I don't think it's ever been changed. Is there anything special I need to do with the final drive while I have the rear wheel off? It seems like I remember reading something about greasing it or something. There is a grease fitting but I'm not sure if this is the only place that needs to be greased.

That fiting don't do much good usually. You need to grease the shaft. Should be a thread here on pulling it and greasing it. Should pull hub from wheel and grease pins. Honda Molly grease is the popular choice for this.

Yes Lee, Yammer Dan is definitely telling you right, you need to take the four nuts off the rear drive and pull it off. The driveshaft may or may not pull out with the rear drive, but either way, you will need to pull it out. You will need to check the condition of the splines and hope they are not too far worn from lack of grease. If they are ok, grease both the splines that go into the u-joint and the splines that go into the rear drive. As Dan noted, a good moly based grease works best.

Now, the next fun part is getting the driveshaft back into the u-joint. It usually takes me about five seconds to get it in, but you will find some takes hours. The trick is to take Vise Grips and clamp them on the splines with enough force to be able to lift the front of the driveshaft. Stick the driveshaft into the tube and when you contact the u-joint you can lift the front up and while twisting the driveshaft slightly, it will slide right in. Then you can put the rear drive unit back on the splines and start a nut to hold it in place.

Many on here say you should not tighten the nuts on the rear drive unit until you have the axle in and tightened, but I don't know if that matters or not.

One other suggestion, either note the year of your bike in the text or put it into the header at the top.

RandyA