IGNORED

Installing Ponch's Gauge Set WITH CD Changer

Hello from Vancouver, Canada:

Just a little over a year ago, I purchased a gauge set from Ponch (tach, oil pressure and water temp) for my ’07 Venture. Unfortunately, life got in the way and I didn’t start installing the set until just this week.

With the dash now apart - and cut, I've run into a snag which I hope someone can help me fix. Specifically, I have the Clarion CD Changer installed on my bike. As part of its installation, the multi-pin connector was inserted into the green-tagged cable on the Cassette deck. With the Cassette now "toast", where do I plug the CD connector? Is the grey-tagged cable which used to link the deck to the radio? I'm hoping that's the answer.

Another challenge: my old Craftsman 7.2 v drill is too large to fit between the bottom of the upper fairing frame and the inner fairing wall (re drilling new holes in the former cassette frame and gauge set brackets). What size of drill is recommended? Would a new 18v or 20v cordless unit be of sufficient slim profile to do the trick? How about a Dremel tool?

And last but not least: Since a water temp gauge is part of my cluster, is it best to wrap the capillary water tube in layer of thin insulation since its bound to get hot? If yes, what material is recommended?

That's everything. My thanks, in advance, to any and all who can answer these questions and help me get my RSV back on the road. There are highways waiting for me!

In appreciation,

Eric S. "alta55rsv"

Edited by alta55rsv
Spelling error

It has been a long time since I had the cd changer on my bike but I know that it was not plugged into the cassette cable. There was a spare open connector from the factory that was used. I don't remember the color though. Maybe that cable came out of the cassette, I don't remember. I did away with the changer LONG ago in favor of an MP3 player.

I honestly don't know what you mean about drilling the holes. I simply drilled through the face of the fairing where the cassette door used to be. I didn't have to get between anything.

I never wrapped the tube with anything. Never even thought about it but there have been no problems with heat.