IGNORED

is this normal?

oldgoat

well today i went out to look over some used motorcycles to kind of get a feel for what would feel good to ride. i dont have the cash yet. but things might be good in august for a new to me bike. i stopped at a dealer and asked about some used bikes. he had a vstar 650cc nice bike low miles and a few honda shadows not sure of the size? i asked if i could take out the vstar for a ride? he checked to see if i had my endorsement and i do. he said yep you can take it for a test ride but you must have a major credit card? i was like why? he said they run it through and place a $250 amount on your card? when the bike comes back and there is no damage your card will get that $250 credited back to your card? i thought maybe it,s to cover some insurance thing? kind of like a car rental? i was not asking to rent the bike i wanted to test it. i left with out the test ride. but did get to hear it run and look at the maintenance records. what the hell how would i know if that bike had brake or transmission problems or something untill after i bought it? i never heard of this before. has any one else?

yes I have and its not a bad deal. If you dont damage the bike your money is refunded..........and around here several of the dealors will not let you test ride period. ........theyve had a few wrecked on test rides and lost out so their insurance companies dont allow test rides any more ..........or at least thats what they said

David

well today i went out to look over some used motorcycles to kind of get a feel for what would feel good to ride. i dont have the cash yet. but things might be good in august for a new to me bike. i stopped at a dealer and asked about some used bikes. he had a vstar 650cc nice bike low miles and a few honda shadows not sure of the size? i asked if i could take out the vstar for a ride? he checked to see if i had my endorsement and i do. he said yep you can take it for a test ride but you must have a major credit card? i was like why? he said they run it through and place a $250 amount on your card? when the bike comes back and there is no damage your card will get that $250 credited back to your card? i thought maybe it,s to cover some insurance thing? kind of like a car rental? i was not asking to rent the bike i wanted to test it. i left with out the test ride. but did get to hear it run and look at the maintenance records. what the hell how would i know if that bike had brake or transmission problems or something untill after i bought it? i never heard of this before. has any one else?

I have and it is a common practice.

When I bought my bike the dealer did not allow test rides at all. What they did do was give a written full money back guarantee for 2 hours after purchase and delivery.

When I questioned them about this they said is is because there were too many people taking out a bike that they could not handle and wrecking, or just wanting to borrow a bike to go for a ride on a nice day.

As long as the refund is in writing, it sounds reasonable to me. $250 might be the deductible on their insurance.

Yes many dealers in my area do not allow test rides due to the liability. A lot of dealers are really struggling just to keep the doors open and therfor are unable or unwilling to shell out the large amount of cash associated with insurance for test rides. Sad but true.

WOW, I have never had a dealer deny me a test ride or ask me for a credit card. I am not sure why you should be responsible for any damage on a test drive. They don't do that for cars. You don't get a credit card from them when you drop off a bike for repair just in case it gets damaged while there. The place I bought my Venture didn't even ask me if I had motorcycle endorsement. All they said was you need a helmet and I told them I brought my own. Probably helped that I rode in on a bike.

WOW, I have never had a dealer deny me a test ride or ask me for a credit card. I am not sure why you should be responsible for any damage on a test drive. They don't do that for cars. You don't get a credit card from them when you drop off a bike for repair just in case it gets damaged while there. The place I bought my Venture didn't even ask me if I had motorcycle endorsement. All they said was you need a helmet and I told them I brought my own. Probably helped that I rode in on a bike.

what he said^^^^

could be my long hair in a pony tail? need a shave? and i did not have cash to make a deal yet? that,s it i looked like a biker bum? and the salesman was in a suit?

they did have some nice bikes used for sale though. so i will keep them in mind. the mechanic was very nice. and knew all about the history of 2 of the bikes that where for sale. the other ones came in from an auction sale of a dealer that went out of buisness? they did have a very nice 1995 goldwing for sale. need a few tweeks here and there so the mechanic said? but it was road worthy and passed there inspection test? i was some what interested in it but just felt it was to big . they offerd the voyager trike kit for it that the PO brought in for it but never installed it for an extra $1500 but they would not install it? total price for the wing with the kit was $4600.00 bike has 67000 on the clock. everthing worked on it but the cb would cut in and out? and could use new tires.

I have been denyed a test ride and had approved financing. Matter of fact my current ride I had to have all the paperwork complete and signed before I could test drive. Sort of like the one fellow discribed. I made sure they understood if we didnt like the bike deal was off. Everything was good with the RSV so I was good to go.

Do some research on your pricing. Not only use kelly blue book and the NADA guide, but local pricing. Really check out craigs list and see what simular bikes are going for. Just because NADA says a 2001 XYZ bike is worth $XXX dont mean thats what they are selling for. Get my drift. If you plan on doing much highway riding or any touring my thoughts are the 650 is too small. There were a ton of the 650 Siverados for sale around here when I bought my 900 Kawasaki. When I called one owner he told me it was to small if thats what I planned on doing with it. I thanked him.

PS: If your going to wait until Aug you might wait until it gets cold up where your at. Prices tend to drop with the temp.

I have gotten to know the folks at the local dealer. They have been trying to get me to take their Tenere' out for a ride. No can do. I couldn't afford it if I loved it. Will never finance a motorcycle. Until I have cash, the Venture is the ride....and the KLR.....and the Vulcan....and...and...

Damn, I need to sell these and go buy the Tenere'.

However, going into a random dealer, I wouldn't be surprised by having to provide a CC.

RR

I have bought 3 bikes and an atv from my dealer and he lets me take any bike I want for a test drive but I have ridden with him and he knows I can ride.

They do make a copy of your license before they let you take it.

I don't think it is unreasonable to ask for a deposit.

The fellow at my Victory dealer said the reason the insurance company's are nix on test rides is A:someone just got endorsement and comes in and gets on biggest baddest sport bike and thinks he is Rossi in disguise, but ends up without the tallent-results crash. B: Isnt quite up to the task of the bike twice the size of the one he is riding and think he is-results crash. Then these semi-skilled individuals end up comming bac once in awhile and sueing the dealrship for letting them ride. Geez how sick is that?

The fellow at my Victory dealer said the reason the insurance company's are nix on test rides is A:someone just got endorsement and comes in and gets on biggest baddest sport bike and thinks he is Rossi in disguise, but ends up without the tallent-results crash. B: Isnt quite up to the task of the bike twice the size of the one he is riding and think he is-results crash. Then these semi-skilled individuals end up comming bac once in awhile and sueing the dealrship for letting them ride. Geez how sick is that?

Only as sick as the Judges who allow such frivolous claims to go forward.

well i got a nice email today from that dealer. he explained that about 4 years ago a kid came in and wanted to take a new crotch rocket for a test ride. at that time they let people do it. seems the kid went out and ran into the back of a car at a high rate of speed. he sued the insurance company of the dealer ship for $200 grand and won?

reason was the dealer ship did not instruct him on the the top speed or how to handle the bike in a proper way? so not only did this kid wreck a new bike but it made the dealer ships insurance company. tell the dealer ship that they now had to carry a minimum policy of at least 2 million in liabilty alone. or offer a one day insurance coverage for $250 billed to the test ridders credit card and payable to both the dealership and the ridder incase of an accident to the bike and or both?

this not only protects the test ridder but the dealership and the insurance company so it all makes sense now. wow times sure have changed since i last bought a bike at a dealer back in 1990?

well i got a nice email today from that dealer. he explained that about 4 years ago a kid came in and wanted to take a new crotch rocket for a test ride. at that time they let people do it. seems the kid went out and ran into the back of a car at a high rate of speed. he sued the insurance company of the dealer ship for $200 grand and won?

reason was the dealer ship did not instruct him on the the top speed or how to handle the bike in a proper way? so not only did this kid wreck a new bike but it made the dealer ships insurance company. tell the dealer ship that they now had to carry a minimum policy of at least 2 million in liabilty alone. or offer a one day insurance coverage for $250 billed to the test ridders credit card and payable to both the dealership and the ridder incase of an accident to the bike and or both?

this not only protects the test ridder but the dealership and the insurance company so it all makes sense now. wow times sure have changed since i last bought a bike at a dealer back in 1990?

You're an OldGoat for a reason! :rotf:

Years back the Honda dealer in Northern NY, let only the riders he knew, take out a 1984 Aspencade for a day of riding to only club members of the shop. when I got to it, it had 7, 100 miles on it. I took it for a Saturday & returned it on Sunday morning.

I bought the demo, after people tried it out for a month. i think it had 16,000 on it when I bought it.

237, 987 miles later. Yep, If I had the funds, I'd buy another one.:mo money::mo money::mo money:

The first place I ever run into this I was looking at a 25,000 dollar bike, had cash in hand and they said no test drives so I said lets go to the Yamaha Dealer.

I hope that you don't mean that you literaly had $25K in your hand. On hand maybe; but in hand that is just crazy! Did you happen to be at a Harley dealership? They seem to push real hard to finance bikes through HD. Before I bought my RSTD I was looking at some Harleys and the interest rates were crazy high.