IGNORED

brake fluid warning indicator (87VR)

Need advice to repair or a replacement source for the 'lead switch assembly' in the rear brake reservoir. First time working on a brake issue on this bike so I'll elaborate as best as can with what I've found so far.

Inside the reservoir, this assembly has a hollow plastic post with a C clip stopper on the top. The C clip prevents the float from slipping off the post. The float moves freely and stays at the top when fluid is topped up. It appears this float has a magnet attached to the inside circumference of itself that should keep the relay inside the post operated (N/C) for continuity back to the CM. ( I compared this with the front reservoir which works properly. Measured 0 ohm short)

With the assembly removed and a meter across the two leads, the float in place and tapping the post with finger a few dozen times, the meter shows intermittent to no continuity. Likely corroded or dirty relay contacts?

Is it possible to remove the relay from inside the post without destroying the two wires? I got the rubber/grout collar off but couldn't get the relay loose to pull it out. Could only find this OEM assembly part on-line as discontinued.

Everything is reassembled and mechanically works at this point, but the two leads towards the CM are temporarily bridged to keep warning light extinguished. Any help would be appreciated, thanks in advance. (what a better way to spend half of the long week-end eh)

OK It isn't really a relay but a reed switch. You pretty much have to remove the resovoir to get the switch out. There is another c clip on the bottom holding the switch in place, and an o ring to keep it from leaking. The switch is non serviceable so you will have to replace it...

Darn it, that's what I thought. Ya bob, had the reservoir out and assembly removed. If I can't find a replacement soon, I'll dismantle it again and scratch away at the base where the two wires enter and maybe, with a lot of luck, be able to remove the reed switch without damage. It looks pressure fitted into the housing as opposed to epoxied. Keep you posted.

Followup today: Tried to remove the two conductors to get to the reed switch, no success. There is a plastic ridge about 1/4" into the post that prevents access. Looking for replacement, but it doesn't look good at this point. Attached a couple of pics.

Edited by Max
followup