IGNORED

Another Happy Guitar Picker.......

Snaggletooth

I stopped down in Missouri the other day and dropped into see my x bro-in-law. Been a long time since we have had a chance to sit down and visit. We used to get together a lot and could spend all night swapping guitars and BSing.

He was a hell of a picker and he was a huge fan of the Gretsch line. He owns a White Falcon and a Country Gent and a couple other tucked way I can't remember the names of. For those of you familiar with those guitars you know the sound. It's all its own.

I can't remember how many times I would just stop playing and let him roll on by himself. I'd leave the deck running and record him. He never belived it was him when he heard the tapes play back.

But he was saying there was the Gretsch Roundup down in KC. It's kind of a massive jam session for the Gretsch bunch. Bring your guitar and jump on in. He had been thinking about going but didn't feel up to it. I razzed him about getting out and do something for himself for a day and just go. I left him with a little jazzin' about slacking off and hoped he went.

So today I came home and found an e-mail from him. He went. He was a bit wired as not only did he go but had some good news.

Part of his e-mail:

Last but not least.........................I won the Grand Prize for the night. A brand new Gretsch Electromatic. This guitar was just built, shipped from the factory to Gretsch Corporate, photographed for the upcoming new Gretsch catalog, and shipped to KC for the Roundup.

It's a new model, white 16" body, double cut, large "f" holes, and a pair of

Electromatic Filters..... and a Bigsby with all gold hardware

These aren't getting to the streets until July, and haven't even been released or announced to the public yet. Last night was the unveiling of this new line.

Now get this *&^%....................the last 3 digits of the s/n are "000". I just about crapped myself Mike. Winning something like this was just crazy, but to also have the "000" is pretty special. Some poor guy will think his number "001" is the first. LOL..............I'll have that pleasure thanks to you LOL

I think he had a good day. :rotf:

Mike

Fender man myself but that is a special story and a for sure keeper on the guitar!! Any photos??

Not yet, but I'm jazzin' him now about he's full of BS until I get the pics. Looking forward to seeing them myself.

You would have enjoyed the Telly he put together years back. Based on a '67 he had a body made from rock maple. The sucker was heavy, I'm mean about 10 pounds heavy.

He milled the body for a set of hummbuckers neck and bridge. I gave him a set of Pearly Gates for it and I got to say there was nuttin' like it. The sustain on it was unreal. Hit a chord at it would just hang there forever. A whole new meaning to "solid body".

WOW, one sweet guitar. My cousin Bill came to visit when I lived in Dallas and had came into town to attend a large guitar swap meet. He ran into Hank Snow who was a Gretch spokesperson for years and has been known to be THE authority on old Gretch's. Bill had been in contact with Hank over the years but had never met. That all changed, Hank invited Bill to his hone in Fort Worth after the swap meet and they picked all night and played several of Hanks prototypes that had never been released. Bill said Hank had Gretch's across the lower level of his home two high sideways on a special built wall rack.

Your brother has acquired a piece of history, and he sounds like he has the skills to appreciate it.

Gary

The old Bro-In-Law, John, has always had luck with the Gretschs. The first one he ever owned through some of his horse trading was a 6120 Duane Eddy Edition. Big old Sunset Orange thing. When we got together it was always me saying, "Pass me the pumpkin". Loved that thing!

One day he took it to a guy down in the KC area to have it set up better for him. When he went back the next week to pick it up there was another fella there hanging around the shop. He picked at if for a while and the doc made some minor adjustments and it hit the sweet spot. He was getting ready to put it away and the other fella asked if he minded if he could take a look at it. He didn't know the guy but the doc gave him a nod and he handed it over. The fella parked his butt and settled in and let loose on the pumpkin. John was dumbstruck. The guy was unreal and just just knocked it down. He finally looked at John and said "that should do ya" and asked him if he could do something for him. He said sure, whatever. The fella asked the doc for a Sharpie and John was freaking a bit, his new favorite guitar and a MARKER!! Oh Hell No! Before he could say anything the fella flipped it over and wrote on the back of the head stock and held it up to John.

It said "Duane Eddy". He was looking at the guitar, the doc and Mr. Duane Eddy himself.

All Duane said was "They would have charged you extra for that you know." John was beside himself. One of those days.

I asked John about that guitar tonight. He had that guitar for years. He said he no longer had it. I couldn't belive he let the pumpkin go. He told me it was back with Duane Eddy, it went back to live with him. So he promised the next time we get together he will tell me the story. Now I gotta make another road trip down there to find out what happend with that. Gotta be a real good reason.

Mike