IGNORED

R/R fell off... I think

After taking the long way home from work last night my brakes felt a little funny. While inspecting the rear brake pads, which I noticed are non-existent, I saw what I think is the R/R laying against the drive shaft housing and the frame.

After pulling the left side panel and the pass. foot rest mounting bracket I disconnected the two wire bundles and tried to pull the R/R out. It was still partially attached by one bolt to the bracket that holds the rear exhaust hanger but only barely hanging on. It was not attached all to the front but the bolt was still there?

When I first bought the bike a few weeks ago I noticed that the left exhaust/muffler was not even with the right side when looking at the bike from the rear. After comptimpating this for several hours I think I've determined the following.... at some point the R/R loosened and the front portion fell down by the drive shaft housing causing it to push against the frame when the rear suspension travels up and down. (note the broke fins and fin marks on the drive shaft) Which in turn pushed against the mounting bracket forcing it outward. (note the chipped paint and rust marks on the bracket)

So my question(s) is....

#1. Is this the R/R

#2. Will the couple of broken fins on the back be an issue

#3. Can I/would you straighten that bracket to even up the mufflers

#4 Can someone send or post of pic of the rear of their bike so I can see the alignment of the exhaust

#4. What brake pads are recommended for my 86 VR

As always, any and all comments and suggestions are greatly appreciated! :confused:

Edited by Dizzle223

#1. Is this the R/R
Yes.

#2. Will the couple of broken fins on the back be an issue
Maybe, maybe not. Worst thing that can happen is it fails and you have to replace it. Depending on how lucky you feel and how far you ride you might wait and see instead of laying down big $$ now. What IS a MAJOR concern is the condition of the electrical connectors. In the picture they look a bit burnt. Make sure you clean them up and crimp the females a bit so they are good and tight. Very common for these connectors to burn up. Same with the plug from the stator which is behind the left cover - 3 white wires.

#3. Can I/would you straighten that bracket to even up the mufflers
I would.

#4 Can someone send or post of pic of the rear of their bike so I can see the alignment of the exhaust
Probably going to be hard to get a single picture with all the information you need. The back plate for the passenger footrest should be vertical. Otherwise match to the right side.

#4. What brake pads are recommended for my 86 VR
I prefer EBC because they are a quality pad and cost less than OEM. The EBC part number for organic pads is FA123, sintered pads are FA123HH. If you're interested in performance you might prefer sintered. Personally, I find the organic adequate and they're easier on the rotor.

Thanks MiCarl for all of the info!

Regarding the wires...

It's hard to tell from the pic but the discolorization that you see inside the connectors is actually dielectric grease and around the wires it was very oily from a ton of blow-by cause by a broken air box before I repaired it. When I reinstall I will make sure to crimp the females.

I think I answered this one but to be sure :) Are the front and rear brake pads the same part/part #?

Thanks again! :cool10:

I would only add that you might consider the HH pads.While it is true the organic are easier on the rotors the stock Venture braking system is not that great (unless you have delinked and put on new stainless brake lines) and could use the performance boost of the HH's

I would only add that you might consider the HH pads.While it is true the organic are easier on the rotors the stock Venture braking system is not that great (unless you have delinked and put on new stainless brake lines) and could use the performance boost of the HH's

That's great information, thanks.

Sure is nice to have so much expertise only a click away! :detective: