IGNORED

Rigid Industries LED- Installed!

well...i did it! i couldnt help myself. yes, pricey. 169.00 with free shipping. so, for starters, i opened the box and nearly fainted! then i giggled like a 7 year old for about 5 minutes...till my belly hurt. these things look like they belong on an Aircraft Carrier! now i understand why the Dakar riders use these. Mr. Shock and Awe designed these! but surprisingly, they are lightweight! if you didnt see the vid i posted about "torture test" , watch it. install was a snap! you see where i put them. just for more giggles, my 3D cell LED Maglite produces 134 lumens. these lights......a mere 2600 lumens @ 30Watts! bet your Walmart lights cant do that! hehe...Darkness?...what Darkness.......CAN YOU SEE ME NOW! i love my bike.....:cool10: time to prepare for my ride from Makinaw to Key West. of course, with a stop at Freebirds!

BTW: I like the "V4 Inside" on the fender.:cool10: Is that a decal or paint?

Great looking lights, do you have the link where you ordered them from? I also love the V4 logo and wondering where you got that too!

Brian

v4 logo:http://www.ebay.com/itm/2x-V4-inside-sticker-For-Yamaha-Aprilia-Ducati-Honda-/250806514041?pt=UK_Motorcycle_Parts&hash=item3a653bb179.

rigid:http://www.ebay.com/itm/400289812243?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649. i shot an offer of 169.00

some afterthoughts. i rode last night for awhile. just as it was getting dusk, i started to notice the lights on the pavement. the pattern spread out towards the sides as it grew darker. when i finally did get home, its a 1.2 mile ride down an unlit gravel road home. the Rigids lit the place up like a christmas tree! they drowned out my HID. alls that was left of the HID was just a little spot in front of the bike. as i was coming over a hill, DEER!! im alsmost sure, that if i didnt have these new lights i wouldnt have seen it on the side of the road. i am a very happy camper! and....they look badass! people sure do notice them! i got a ton of looks riding yesterday. one guy with a quad asked me about them...he knew what they were..said he needed some for night, two tracking.

Did you get the flood or spot beam?

When you turned the mounting brackets vertical, did the beam pattern change on the road?

Where did you place the mounting brackets? I like the tucked in look a bit better than my brackets.

Going to order a set myself as soon as you hit me up with a coupl answers. I like the idea of a quality light with a lifetime warranty. Bet a long bar on the back of a fire truck would light the night.

JB

Did you get the flood or spot beam?

When you turned the mounting brackets vertical, did the beam pattern change on the road?

Where did you place the mounting brackets? I like the tucked in look a bit better than my brackets.

Going to order a set myself as soon as you hit me up with a coupl answers. I like the idea of a quality light with a lifetime warranty. Bet a long bar on the back of a fire truck would light the night.

JB

i got the flood. i mounted them at the top of the radiator cover screw. tilting them does not change the pattern, they can be mounted any way. i bet that 40LED would be ridiculous! i mounted right under air intakes. 1 srew, a couple washers and loktite. just put another 200 miles on them today. no issues. except, i have to clean bug guts off them! i also like, they are instant off and on. dont have to warm up like my HID. 1st pic is with HID, 2nd pic is Rigids only! big difference, eh? right know, i have them pointing directly ahead. i can adjust them out for more side coverage if needed.

Ok- I was thinking that the flood would be about right. I am replacing a set of Wally World burners. They are 55watt MR16 with a 30 degree pattern. Should be about right. I tried spot bulbs a couple years ago but did not get the side of the road like I wanted. Now, about that 6" double row spot under the front of the fairing......................

JB

Just a thought.... left side could be a spot so as not to blind oncoming drivers, right side could be a wider pattern slightly aimed to the right to light up the shoulder.

I have 7616 spot beams (brighter than the Silverstar Ultra) in my passing lights. Left side is aimed correctly and right slightly to the right for shoulder.

Ok- I was thinking that the flood would be about right. I am replacing a set of Wally World burners. They are 55watt MR16 with a 30 degree pattern. Should be about right. I tried spot bulbs a couple years ago but did not get the side of the road like I wanted. Now, about that 6" double row spot under the front of the fairing......................

JB

i thought about that 6" LED too, mounted exactly where you were thinking....hmmmm...at only 30W, maybe another is in order! i had the Burners before, one puked after about 3 months, i even sealed them. i had them in the factory lower air dam that was on the bike. it basically only lit up my tires...with both HID and Rigid its like WOW!

I decided to run the spot version based on some angle computations and the distance chart on the Ridgid page. I have some work to do in order to mount them. Old Wal-Mart Platinum Burners need to come off and new brackets for the horn and lights. You are right. At 30watts these things are amazing. Once I get them mounted I will do some testing on distance and beam spread. We shall see which set works best in what applications. I have been running the Wal-Mart lights even with my low beam distance. Stock the Wal-Mart lights have a 40 degree beam spread. Now, I have no complaints for the pricing. The WM lights were $25.00 including tax. I put on stainless hardware for another $7.00. They have been running for 4 years on 2 sets of bulbs. Bulbs were about $6.00 each. Pretty inexpensive for the amount of light. They pull about 9-10 amps as measured by my digital clamp on meter. I had to put a screw in the rim to lock the bezel on. I used RTV to seal the bulb to the bezel and eliminate rattling that destroyed the first set of bulbs. Now the rivets that hold the housing to the bracket are loose. So they have met their life expectancy.

I think the Dually lights are worth the money. And I am sure my stator will agree.

JB

JB

What ya gonna do with the Wally World burners? I'm just looking for the buckets. I already have them on my scoot but one has the chrome pealing. I've been looking for some better buckets that will take a MR16 but am having a hard time finding something I like. I'm also running LED's in them. They're plenty bright and are close to the same color as my HID. The other night when my HID went out in the middle of the night, they were still bright enough to get me home and still see the deer crossing in front of me. http://www.ebay.com/itm/251035316586?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

Though, I'm sure they pail in comparison to the Rigids.

Thanks,

Bill

Perhaps I should take a pic of them to make sure we're talking about the same lights.

• 1 month later...

Finally got to hit dark roads and get them aimed. These things burn holes in stuff!!!! I cannot see my headlight when they are on. I love the spot version.

Note: defect in certain lights!! Circuit board causes FM radio interference!!!!

Let Rigid know and they will warranty them and replace the circuit boards. Sending a call tag so it is no charge to me. Sounds like about 10,000 hornets in the speakers when you turn on the lights. It is a known problem to Ridgid.

JB

• 3 weeks later...

Good GOD! I just mounted the Rigid Industries SPOTS just under the air intakes like some of the other guys did. I started my ride 'bout 8pm, and rode till the sun was down. After darkness set in full, hardly any oncoming traffic didn't flash their highs at me like crazy. These things are BRIGHT!!! Watch out, if you're thinking 'bout the spots for reach (like I did), think again. Unless you're alone on the road after dark, you're gonna make some enemies running them all the time. And under those conditions, not sure if the floods would make much difference.

Now, granted, I got these mainy for daytime visibility, and I really don't ride after dark (I have a big problem with hitting critters ... OK--DEER) ... But rest assured, they seem more useful as daytime visibility amps ... and supplementary night-time road lights when no oncoming traffic is near.

Sure wish there was some sort of dimmer I could rig up. Anybody got any thoughts??

But all-in-all, I'm glad I read reddevilmedic's post about the Rigids ... they really do the job I got them for ... and then some.:)

Rick

10,000 Hornets! My old Kawasaki 500 two stroke sounded like that at 80 mph goiing down the highway. I can't believe how I used to drive that thing with spoked rims, chain drive, and drum brakes. Oh how the world has changed. And the lights... sealed beam was all that was legal.

OK, I'm going to go be old now.

Good GOD! I just mounted the Rigid Industries SPOTS just under the air intakes like some of the other guys did. I started my ride 'bout 8pm, and rode till the sun was down. After darkness set in full, hardly any oncoming traffic didn't flash their highs at me like crazy. These things are BRIGHT!!! Watch out, if you're thinking 'bout the spots for reach (like I did), think again. Unless you're alone on the road after dark, you're gonna make some enemies running them all the time. And under those conditions, not sure if the floods would make much difference.

Now, granted, I got these mainy for daytime visibility, and I really don't ride after dark (I have a big problem with hitting critters ... OK--DEER) ... But rest assured, they seem more useful as daytime visibility amps ... and supplementary night-time road lights when no oncoming traffic is near.

Sure wish there was some sort of dimmer I could rig up. Anybody got any thoughts??

But all-in-all, I'm glad I read reddevilmedic's post about the Rigids ... they really do the job I got them for ... and then some.:)

Rick

i was concened with the spot pattern, thats why i went flood. i went on a lighthouse tour and the Park Ranger at one of them said "those lights sure are bright!" we talked about them for about 15minutes. he wants to put some on the ATV they have on the grounds! i live in deer country also, saved my butt a couple times already! they definately get peoples attention, and by people i mean cagers.