IGNORED

OOOPS.... Clutch slipped!!!

On the way to work last night I got on the throttle in 3rd gear and around 6 grand on the tach the clutch slipped. This is the first time it has given me any trouble. I have a set of EBC springs I picked up on Ebay, anybody ever used them?? I am going to pull it apart this weekend and rough up the steels and put the new springs in. Anything else I should do while I have it apart that you can think of? I wish I could mic it but my nephew is going to school for machining and I gave him my mics to use.

If this is the first time it slipped you should be good with just the spring. If you have an amazing number of miles on it then it could be time for a clutch, but not likely. when you get it apart check the thickness of the new and old spring. If they are the same then you may want to put them both back in to get more spring pressure.

I am not familiar with the EBC spring. PCW and Skydoc are the only ones that I am aware of that have a heavier spring.

Did you recently do an oil change with a different oil than you had?

If this is the first time it slipped you should be good with just the spring. If you have an amazing number of miles on it then it could be time for a clutch, but not likely. when you get it apart check the thickness of the new and old spring. If they are the same then you may want to put them both back in to get more spring pressure.

I am not familiar with the EBC spring. PCW and Skydoc are the only ones that I am aware of that have a heavier spring.

Did you recently do an oil change with a different oil than you had?

You'll find more than one spring in there. There's six of them and they is all held in place with bolts that don't like it iffen you tighten them a little too snug. 5.8 ft pounds is the torque you are looking for.

Considering that your Clutch Friction Discs are 28 years old, and the fact that they have been soaking in engine oil for the same amount of time, I would have a good close look at those Friction Discs. The difference between a "good" friction disc, and a "bad" friction disc is the thickness of a human hair. (.005") There are a few things I don't personally skimp on when it comes to my motorcycle. Brakes are one. Tires are the other. The Clutch is one as well. A bike with an "iffy" clutch changes the way you ride. I count on my bike to function at 100% when I drop the hammer, and I would never want to start a story with, "I almost made it around that 18 wheeler!" My life is worth more than a few bucks for some new parts on a bike that has functioned properly for 28 YEARS! The EBC Clutch Compression Springs will work fine. Buy a new gasket for the clutch cover, change out the friction discs, and replace the spring bolts. Do this job properly, and it will be another 28 years before you will do it again.

Just my thoughts.:confused24:

Earl

Check to make sure your expansion hole at the bottom of the reserve isn't plugged up first. Not that all the advice given so far isn't good, but making sure it's open will save you a ton of bucks. I had a slipping clutch when I bought my first '83. New Barnet springs, new discs, master rebuild, gaskets, and my wallet was $200 bucks lighter, :mo money:and I still had a slipping clutch. I got lots of great advice from this board, but nobody mentioned anything about cleaning out the expansion relief hole. It was a wrestling match, but I finally found it. So all I'm saying is check it first....then go for the springs etc...