IGNORED

Favorite Tires/

Havetime

Hi Everyone!

It's time for me to replace tires on my '87 and was wondering which tires are your favorites. Since I'm always looking for a bargain I found Shinko's 777 and 230 Tour Master for less than $80. Anyone tried them?:confused24:

Havetime

I've got only about 600 miles on a set of Metzler ME 88 Marathons front and rear. Great improvement over the worn stockers they replaced. Decent in the wet, they tend to wander on a long steel deck bridge. (but what tire doesn't?)

I would be interested in hearing opinions on these (Shinko) tires. At half to 2/3 the cost of the Metzlers it may be worth a look. I like the idea of the lower aspect ratio to give just that little smidge of lower saddle height.

I had Kenda Kruz (K673) on the Virago and loved them so much I bought a set for the Venture but have yet to try them out. This is a much heavier bike so time will tell. I found they gave me alot of confidence...great in all weather conditions.

I've got only about 600 miles on a set of Metzler ME 88 Marathons front and rear. Great improvement over the worn stockers they replaced. Decent in the wet, they tend to wander on a long steel deck bridge. (but what tire doesn't?)

Dunlop Elite 3's

RandyA

:sign yeah that: I have E3's on my Virago and VR and they do not wander on metal bridge decks.

I have an Avon Venom on the front and an E3 on the rear of my '89. This combination works fine for me. Purchased the Avon first and would have put one on the rear but some of the people on this forum have had sidewall cracking with them and indeed the one I have now has some minor cracking, not enough to be concerned but I need to watch. Considered Shinkos and Kendas but people who had them had wildly different views on them. Just felt the risk was not worth the difference in price. Bought my E3 from Jake Wilson mounted it myself and used dyna beads to balance. Happy with the result. The fact that an E3 was less money than an Avon did not hurt either. Got about 17,000 mi on the E2 it replaced will be happy if it does that well.

Just my opinion and experience.:080402gudl_prv:

Jeff

Edited by jeff1
clairification

I am happy with Dunlop Elite III's. Original Bridgestones, I got 5,500 miles from. Looks I am going to get 10,000 or so with the E3's.

Next, I will try the Michelin Commander on the front, and a Michelin Commander II on the rear. hoping for that 15,000 mile mark.

I had Kenda Kruz (K673) on the Virago and loved them so much I bought a set for the Venture but have yet to try them out. This is a much heavier bike so time will tell. I found they gave me alot of confidence...great in all weather conditions.

+1 - additionally with the 4 ply sidewall they are almost run flat tires.

When I bought my Venture in October it had EIII's on it, I have since put over 9500 miles on them and I can see me getting another 3k out of the rear & maybe 5k on the front...my previous bike was a honda Shadow C3 1100 I ran 404's on it, BUT the Venture is to heavy for those IMO...

PS I am looking now for the best price on the EIII's as I type.....:detective:

For the avons to make your bike handle properly, they need to be maxed out to the air pressure on the sidewall, I run 41-42 lbs front 48-50 rear......my 1st gen handled great, the rear lasted about 15,000 miles the front is still on the bike. You will see where others have found out the same thing, if you run less than 40 in the rear, it will wallow in the curves and wear out really fast.

TBH. E3s. Fine tires. Got saddled with Avon Venoms that confuse me fierce, got tired of trying to find their sweet spot air pressure and just saddled them with 33/33.

Man I wish for E3s.

• 2 weeks later...

Ran M88's on this VR for 10,000 mi since I picked it up a year and half ago... until last Monday. My issues with these tires were loud road noise,whining (not me,the tires) and a harder ride on second rate pavement. I suspect the whining was due to normal tread wear and the hard ride was partially due to the 50-52 lb pressure recommended for two up. Handled great in all conditions and never had issues with missing chunks. Probably could have squeezed another season but decided to replace.

Based on comments from forum , decided to go with the E3's. Short term impressions (approx 9 hours highway), this was the right decision for me. Road noise almost non existent, (thank you thank you) although that could change with tread wear. Slightly softer ride, probably due to 10lb less recommended tire pressure.

I have run the Shinko Tour Masters and was impressed with the performance aspect of them. They just dont last very long, 7K out of the rear on one of my 1st gens. My favorite tire hands down is the Avon Venom X, decent wear and great performance, the Dunlop E3's are decent also, but took some getting used to...

:2cents:

Bike is in the shop as we speak. I am having the newer Bridgestone Exedra Max multi compound tires mounted. I have used the Dunlop D404s. I liked the white walls but the back end felt like it was floating around some of the corners. Even so I got well over 12k out of them. The factory Bridgestone Exedras were ok. But they had a short life 10k and increasing noise with age. They also get a lot of bad press on this forum. It seems all of the tire makers have some problem or another. So I went for a new tire on the block the Max. Since I couldn't find any real life reviews on it I figgured I could be the first. Only time will tell if it works out.

Mike

Guest scarylarry

I put the Michelin II on the Kaw and it weights as much if not more than the RSV...I love them quiet and will stick as well as Avon...

I won't know on the mileage till they wear out...

Favorite tire! Are you kidding me! I don't have a favorite tire, I hate them all. No matter which one I'm running someone has had it crack, split, loose air, throw chunks, go flat and only get 4,000 miles. While the one they are presently running will last 50,000 miles grips in the rain like a puckered butt and runs as smooth as glass at 118mph. Just sayin...

• 2 months later...
Favorite tire! Are you kidding me! I don't have a favorite tire, I hate them all. No matter which one I'm running someone has had it crack, split, loose air, throw chunks, go flat and only get 4,000 miles. While the one they are presently running will last 50,000 miles grips in the rain like a puckered butt and runs as smooth as glass at 118mph. Just sayin...

In many ways this is very true. I believe that there are certian tires to steer clear of and certian tires that have a better reputation than others. What is your personal favorite tire Art? You must have one that you prefer.:rotf:

I ran a Shinko up front on my 88 VR a couple of years ago. Great tire, sticky, quiet, and a great price, except it was toast after only 5,000 miles. Never again.

Dunlop 3's have lasted the longest on my VR, and I recommend them, as do a lot of others.

Nick Diaz

Middletown, MD

Well folks, it's that time for me too. Reading all about what's what on forums & have set my sights in Elite III's. But big question ... Shops show Elite 3 Radials, as well as Elite 3 Bias Touring:confused24: ... For my 84 VR MKI. For you 1st gen riders recommending E3's, is it Radial or Bias Touring?

Thanks so much.

:fingers-crossed-emo