IGNORED

GPS Question..Garmin 450

Guest KitCarson

Guest KitCarson

I installed my new Garmin 450 today and in the box it came with there is a CD that says (City Navigator NT.....north america v8) Do I need that? I tried to put it on my computer and it asked me for a 25 number code.....what code? Where is that.....maybe already in the GPS?? I think I like the little unit.....simple enough even I can operate it.......do not know much about computers though.......such as this 25 number code........won't it work find just like it is.....seems to show streets....even shows me sitting in the middle of a field with no road..........at my house.......so do I need that and what is the code...where do I find it. Thanks.........

Kit, the unit comes with all of the maps preloaded so you don't need to install the software if all you want to do is use the GPS only. The DVD is if you want to install the maps to computer in order to create routes and then load them to the GPS unit. The code is an anti-piracy feature Garmin uses and it should be found on the packaging somewhere.

DT

Guest KitCarson
Kit, the unit comes with all of the maps preloaded so you don't need to install the software if all you want to do is use the GPS only. The DVD is if you want to install the maps to computer in order to create routes and then load them to the GPS unit. The code is an anti-piracy feature Garmin uses and it should be found on the packaging somewhere.

DT

Thanks......that helps...for sure. I will not worry about it. I did look on the box.....on the CD.....on the wrapper.......on the shipping box......on the other CD that is the owners manual........no Code...... I will not worry about it......just save the box and have one of my kids worry about updating it next year. Thanks......one more thing learned today!!

Guest KitCarson
Kit, I just checked the box my 550 came in and the unlock code was on a yellow sheet that came in the package. It is a small printed page and the code was on the bottom of the sheet next to a bar code.

DT

No wonder I could not find it!! Had to put on my reading glasses to see that.....Yes that is where it is at with this unit also.......on that little yellow sheet. It is now in with the CD.......Thanks Again.

Guest sargeb13

is very useful if you do any long route planning. Much easier on the computer than on my Garmin, a 376C. 'Don't know about the 450, but I suspect 's same.

Software is complex and has a steep learning curve, at least for this child, but more than worth it in terms of flexability; in my opinion, anyway.

If you can't find the code, I'd suggest calling Garmin's customer service.

On many models, like mine, the GPS holds a less-than-complete map set, and the detailed map set must be loaded into the GPS via the computer and a memory chip. I have two chips, one with the West, one with the East. Other models have the entire map set loaded in the GPS, and use the chip's (or hard drive's) memory just for way points and routes.

On the other hand, if your rides are limited to day trips and such, you may not need the software at all (I think you do need it to update the maps).

Kit,

You need to install the CD on your computer and register your unit with Garmin. then you can check to see if there's an update available for your software. I bought mine in October and there was already an update for the software. You'll also need it to update the software in the unit itself. Odds are it still has the 2007 software.

Kit,

I suggest you log onto the Garmin web page and check to see if there are any updates for the 'firmware' on you computer. Often times there will be revisions to the software that is installed on your Garmin, that enhances it's performance and takes care of 'bugs' that may effect the unit. Just go to the updates and downloads link, and do a check for your 450. They should lead you through any steps you need to take. I have a 550, and just recently updated mine with the latest software. If you do this, it will keep the unit up to date with the latest software.

Kit, I just checked the box my 550 came in and the unlock code was on a yellow sheet that came in the package. It is a small printed page and the code was on the bottom of the sheet next to a bar code.

DT

Mine too but I had lost this piece of paper Actually did not know what it was.

Anyway went to Garmin to get the unlock codes, gave then the s/n and 15 minutes later had the unlock codes on my email.

Brad

Kit after I installed the cd on my computer, I went to Garmin web site, downloade, "Webupdater", connected my GPS to the puter and updated the GPS. I ended up with a whole new screen, which included a 360 degree compus, time, mph, elevation and accuracy in ft. As was stated before if you do any long distance traveling, MapSource comes in handy planning your trip. One other thing, if you are looking on the 450 for a particular place and you see the mileage, that mileage is as the crow flies. Once you have told the GPS to "Go To" the actual mileage will show up.

Guest KitCarson

Thanks for the help.....All of you! . I did finally get the Map Source loaded unto my computer......as far as using it........that kind of stuff makes my small brain hurt!! Looks like you need to be a logistics engineer to figure that stuff out........They are sending me an updated CD with new roads and new stuff to load into the GPS. I am impressed with the thing........technology at its finest......combined with simple and easy graphics.......it seems to do everything I wanted it for........seems to me if you want to go to a specific place it will take you right to the front door......I would have never believed some of this stuff.......when I was 25 years old......stuff like this was just an science fiction idea........Yes I think this is one gadget I will like. Besides it is fun to learn new things.....keeps the boredom at bay.

It is an amazing device, loaded with a tremendous amount of information. But be warned - it is not 100% correct. You may get directed to a wrong location, or because of road changes you may be told to turn where you can't. A little common sense should be utilized along with the GPS. But it is a huge help. I like to go for a ride on roads I have never been on before - get good and lost. Then have Garmin give me directions back home.

I have the 450 also. Make sure you set it like you want it. You can have "no U turns" "No gravel roads" if you want to. You will also have to learn how to read it while your on the road. You can't get lost. It is a great feature for the bike.

It is an amazing device, loaded with a tremendous amount of information. But be warned - it is not 100% correct. You may get directed to a wrong location, or because of road changes you may be told to turn where you can't. A little common sense should be utilized along with the GPS. But it is a huge help. I like to go for a ride on roads I have never been on before - get good and lost. Then have Garmin give me directions back home.

ZUMO 550

So far, every time I've tried to use my common sense over the advice of Heather (that's what I named her), I've been wrong and she's been right.

ZUMO 550

So far, every time I've tried to use my common sense over the advice of Heather (that's what I named her), I've been wrong and she's been right.

That's exactly what I have to remember every time my wife speaks.

Hey Kit,

Don't worry about learning how to use the Zumo or upgrades, you have grandkids don't you? I am planning on buying a Zumo, my 9 year old granddaughter told me not to worry, she would show me how to use it. I am thinking you can get the same kind of help. Heck. Wal-Mart calculators still amaze me.

Kit, I forgot one other thing, while sitting in your driveway, add your present position to your favorites list and call it HOME. There is also a menu item that says to Go Home. That way no matter where you are you can always go to your favorites and Go Home. By the way you can also do this if you are staying somewhere and using it as a base, just set your base in your favorites and no matter where you are you can always get back to your base.

Guest KitCarson

I got that part done........my home base.........even shows my six acres with no named road.......no road......but shows the road .7 miles to the first turn out of the driveway........typed in Dicks Last Resort for the SC meet and eat today also.....drew a map right to it........yes I am impressed........and learning fast!! Went for a two hour ride today.....put in an address I knew where it was.......it took me right to the parking lot..........yep I like this new toy.....lots!!

Warning: To all GPS users.......I have also found these things can contribute to eating too much.......you can hit food and lodging and it will tell you all the eating places.....by the type of food.......I think this might become a bad influence.

All of the commercial units are deliberately programed with disinformation concerning U.S. Military installations, Yes they will tell you where the base is but not where a particular building is located especially if the building is "sensitive" in nature. This is for obvious security reasons since 911. Otherwise they beat a map and a compass every time that is as long as you have power :stirthepot:

Don't forget the extra batteries:rotf: