IGNORED

You never know what you may find...

bj66

I was out in the field planting soybeans yesterday. I came across what looked like a garbage sack in the field. I stopped and got out to pick it up and it wasnt a garbage sack. it was a weather balloon, complete with the parachute and transmitter on it. Good thing I didnt try to plant through it. There was at least 10 feet of cord or more running from the balloon to the transmitter. I would of had a big mess running that through my planter. The box with the transmitter is all trashed, so I cant return the transmitter in it. It says on the box that it was released on 1/11 of this year from Bismarck ND. So I guess I will take it to the local weather bureau and let them handle the shipping etc. But it was kind of neat.

By the way Bismarck is about 220 miles away.

It wouldnt be much of a pic. Just imagine a styrofoam box (with transmitter) tethered to a nylon cord, with a rubber balloon knotted all around the cord. On top of that an orange parachute about the size of a kitchen garbage bag. In other words a tangled up mess.....

OK we'll let ya slide this time !

I always pictured them as a 20 ft long mylar balloon with some type of apparatus attached.

I think the balloon could be rather large, judging by the amount or rubber knotted around the nylon cord. The transmitter is about the size of a hershey bar, only it is about an 1 1/2 inch thick. It doesnt weigh that much.

This is a pic of what I found.

Nope, proper planting time is right now. I took the balloon into the local weather station today. The lady at the front desk simply said thanks, then as an afterthought she asked where I picked it up at. That was it, so my exciting weather balloon story has come to a noneventfull close.

Nope, proper planting time is right now. I took the balloon into the local weather station today. The lady at the front desk simply said thanks, then as an afterthought she asked where I picked it up at. That was it, so my exciting weather balloon story has come to a noneventfull close.

Just wait the crop circles will show up later :rotf:Then you will really be in the news. Glad you got a harley now so they don't track you back to us:stirthepot: