IGNORED

Saddle Sore 1000

rickardracing

Well, myself and 4 others are going to do the Saddle Sore 1000 this weekend. Leave out of Saline Michigan Saturday morning, head to Kingston Pike Tenn. for some dinner and head back. It will be about 1035 miles according to Google maps. Gonna be a looooooong day.

Good luck. Make sure you check out the Iron Butt Association website Archive of Wisdom.

http://www.ironbutt.com/tech/aow.cfm

Lots of good advise from folks that have BTDT and got the T-shirt.

It's not that hard to do by yourself. With others, it makes it a bit more difficult. Make sure everyone is of the same mind when you stop for gas. Get in, get out. Keep the wheels turning.

Another hint since you are stopping for dinner, let the waitress know you are on a timed run. Ask for their advise on what is quick but still good (quick cooked turnips would be a big fail).

We expect a ride report.

RR

PS: Also make sure everybody knows the rules. If one wants to drop out, the rest go on (or whatever arrangement you make). All riders need to be clear on this before you take off. Otherwise, you sit around discussing it until you burn up your time. Also, remember this isn't that huge of a deal. If you are tired, STOP. Take a rest. Call it off if you need to. There are many more opportunities if you come back safely.

Every time another person comes into the picture the problems compound exponentially. Two people aren't bad, 4 people may make it interesting enough.

Are you aware that I75 is closed on the Southbound side in Tennessee?Detour out 25E and then south into Lake City. Count on very heavy traffic.

Another option would be to get off at the 59 exit in Ky and go to Somerset, then south on US27 to Wartburg, left on 62 to Oak Ridge, then the Pelissippi Pkwy back to I 40.

North bound I75 side is open, should be no delays

Don't let adrenaline set your speed. Keep a clear mind. Be safe above all else and Have Fun.

Glad Kirby mentioned this. Speed is not your friend. On the Venture, your gas mileage suffers as your speed goes up. To do this in 17 hours, allowing 1 hour for stops, you only need to average 62.5 mph. The key is to keep the stops to a minimum - both in number and duration.

Also, driving at super-limit speeds increases your stress level and WILL make you tired.

RR

Good luck. Make sure you check out the Iron Butt Association website Archive of Wisdom.

http://www.ironbutt.com/tech/aow.cfm

Lots of good advise from folks that have BTDT and got the T-shirt.

It's not that hard to do by yourself. With others, it makes it a bit more difficult. Make sure everyone is of the same mind when you stop for gas. Get in, get out. Keep the wheels turning.

Another hint since you are stopping for dinner, let the waitress know you are on a timed run. Ask for their advise on what is quick but still good (quick cooked turnips would be a big fail).

We expect a ride report.

RR

PS: Also make sure everybody knows the rules. If one wants to drop out, the rest go on (or whatever arrangement you make). All riders need to be clear on this before you take off. Otherwise, you sit around discussing it until you burn up your time. Also, remember this isn't that huge of a deal. If you are tired, STOP. Take a rest. Call it off if you need to. There are many more opportunities if you come back safely.

I'm not sure I agree that a group makes it more difficult. I did the Lake Superior Iron Butt ride with 2 friends and having them along was good. We could talk (on the CB) when we needed to and didn't when we didn't. We were also able to gauge each other's state of mind. Wholeheartedly agree that everyone needs to be on the same page in terms of dropping out, continuing, etc. And your last few sentences are absolutely critical "If you are tired, STOP. Take a rest. Call it off if you need to. There are many more opportunities if you come back safely".

Have fun and enjoy the ride.

A little confusing here. Are you going to Kingston, Tn or somewhere on Kingston Pike in Knoxville, Tn? Just wondering, never heard of Kingston Pike, Tn.:think:

Presumptuous of me to think so but I also figured Kingston Pk, Knoxville Tn

Unless he reads of the road closing he may be somewhat dismayed at the extra 3 or 4 hours it'll take to get where he wants to go.

if he is going to Kingston Tn then US 27 from Somerset would be the way to go any way

Well the ride is complete. Don (donaldj624), myself and two other guys, Darell and Stan on Goldwings left yesterday (Saturday) morning at 8:00 am. Had a beautiful day to do this. The only real problem was the I-75 shut down on the south bound side just inside Tennessee. That really was not a problem. They routed us through Jellico on 25W. What a nice ride!! That is one twisty road! All 4 of us enjoyed it ALOT. Excepth the douche in the red Ford Ranger that tried to pass us on the right side at the last minute. He was cut off by Don, it pissed the guy off and he messed with Stan a few times. There was a line of traffic and no way he was going to go any faster than us. Plus if Don would not have cut him off, he would have ran me into oncoming traffic. A$$. Once through the twisties, we were routed to Caryville. That's where we got wet. We pulled off into a gas station to get under a canopy, gased up and waited it out for about a half hour. We made our turn around point in Knoxville (Kingston Pike Rd sorry for the earlier confusion about this....my bad!) at 4:30 pm. We ate dinner at Applebees on Peters Rd. Stan (Goldwing rider) had never been to one before, so that's where we ate. After dinner, we gased up again, got our reciepts and headed back to Michigan. I-75 north was open. Down to one lane, but it moved at 45 mph. No traffic tie ups or issues on the ride home. But, I will say, the last 200 miles.............they hurt. We stopped just south of Maumee Ohio at a rest stop and got some coffee fron the vending machine and that's all we needed to finish the last 60 miles. We just had to get off, stretch our legs and wake up a bit. After that, back on the bikes and finished the ride in Ypsilanti at a gas station there. (only one open at 3:45 am).

So we did in 19 hours and 45 minutes, 1055 miles. This ride is definately NOT for the faint of heart. It can be done with no problem in 24 hours, but you need to really plan it out good, have riders that like to ride long distances and have bikes in good shape. We had an awesome time and made a memory that will laast a lifetime.

Next year, the Bun Burner 1500!!

We had an awesome time and made a memory that will laast a lifetime.

Next year, the Bun Burner 1500!!

And when you decide to do that you may consider giving some earlier warning! Even though I am still quite busy finishing our move/building and filling the storage building I would have jumped in with you at I75 exit 95 in Ky and rode to Ktown and back with you.Had no idea what time you would have made it through here or I may have been waiting to join!.

Congratulations on completing your SS1k. Well done.

Now, go look for some rallies in the area. :smile5:

They are fun. Like a scavenger hunt while doing a SS1k.

But watch out, they are addicting.

Again, congratulations and welcome to the club.

RR

IBA 33089

I'm not sure I agree that a group makes it more difficult. I did the Lake Superior Iron Butt ride with 2 friends and having them along was good. We could talk (on the CB) when we needed to and didn't when we didn't. We were also able to gauge each other's state of mind. Wholeheartedly agree that everyone needs to be on the same page in terms of dropping out, continuing, etc. And your last few sentences are absolutely critical "If you are tired, STOP. Take a rest. Call it off if you need to. There are many more opportunities if you come back safely".

Have fun and enjoy the ride.

On a SaddleSore 1000 riding in a group is perfectly feasible and can make for a fun ride.

However, as a principle what Jeff said was good, sound advice. Riding in a group slows the whole group. That's just how it is. You don't want pee breaks, gas, cigarette breaks, walk around to relieve the cramp breaks, or anything else at the same time. So the lengths of stops always grows, especially as the ride progresses.

The SS1000 pace is modest, and all of the above can be easily accommodated. 17 to 18 hours, including stops is more than enough for this ride, which gives you forever to play with.

Deciding what to do if a rider needs to drop out was crucial advice. Decide before you leave, and decide to leave the unfortunate guy or you all will end up feeling bad. Don't, however, leave him completely stranded in the middle of the desert :)

Once you move up to the Extreme Series rides (BBG and beyond), riding in a group is next to impossible. At best, two friends who are used to each other's riding styles can do it, no more.

The pace is brutal ... We are talking an overall average (including stopped time) of 63 mph just to get in under the wire. There is no room for error and if you search this site you will find my errors :)