IGNORED

Scala Q2 Pro... Really?

Well we pulled the trigger and bought a Scala Q2 Pro Multi-Set to replace the wired intercomm/audio system on the '91 VR, and at this point I'm not so sure it was a good idea.

Strike 1: Contrary to what I've read or was lead to believe, you cannot stream stereo audio from your A2DP MP3 player to BOTH headsets. Strike 1.

Strike 2: Streaming audio to one headset does work, but when you talk, or make/answer a phone call (We have iPhones....), audio streaming stops and does not restart until you unpair and then pair the phone to the headset. This is WAY wrong.....

Strike 3: Apparently you cannot pair an iPhone and an iPod to a headset at the same time. I've tried and it doesn't work. This just doesn't sound right because the manual says I can pair a GPS, a phone, AND an A2DP MP3 player, AT THE SAME TIME!!!! The only thing I can think of is the iPod and the iPhone "look the same" to the Scala, so if I pair the iPod first, and then pair my iPhone, the iPod gets dropped....

Our original plan was my GF would pair her iPhone to her headset and I would pair my iPod to my headset. According to what I was lead to believe, we could listen to the iPod, and when a call came in she could answer it and I could keep listening to music. Well, that ain't gonna happen.

Did we just make a $250.00 mistake, is the manual inaccurate about the pairing process (I'd think there would be different procedures for different devices.....), or am I doing something wrong?

TIA..

And Y'All ride safe...

My brother and I just used our Q2 set for the 1st time on a trip. From riding solo I found out the FM radio is a waste, don't have a mp3. We had paired our Q2's when we got them and a few months later for this trip we had to pair them again to talk back and fourth, up to 60 mph was fine, but at hwy speeds 70+ could barely hear him. Things were so much simpler when I had my Areial Square Four..... LOL:backinmyday:

I got the Q2 for myself and my girlfriend. My father also has one. It is invaluable for discussing driving plans while driving in town, and I was a big fan of this system initially. But its starting to get on my nerves. I'm starting to think of it like a cheap walky talky now.

The battery life was 8 hours initially, but now its less. It doesn't die, it just starts to crackle uncontrollably. Mind you we both have half helmets so our microphones are exposed to some wind (behind the windshield at least). If we are traveling slowly we can have a conversation, but at most speeds its a challenge. At highway its almost impossible without constantly shouting "WHAT?". The mic has to be planted right on your lips to make it work - something that really bugs me when my girlfriend decides to carry on a conversation and always neglect to have the mic where it should be... Ugh. Its just a frustrating annoyance now. I don't use it to all the functionality that you are looking for, but I'm not really happy with the product overall. It could be way better in my opinion.

It is still invaluable for navigating 3 bikes together through cities and traffic, but its a pain on the open road.

Thanks for the feedback guys.

I figured out what the problem was with audio not restarting: The Passcode... I had a pass code on the iPhone so my GFs 2yr old grandson couldn't mess with my phone. Turns out using a passcode keeps the headset from restarting audio streaming.. Same thing for my 4th generation iPod.

I was hoping to try out our new toys today, but the weather isn't cooperating.. Maybe in a day or two.

I will say one thing, the audio is actually pretty good. I had to add some foam to the ear cups in our helmets, but that was a no-brainer.

As soon as I get some road testing done I'll give Y'All an update.

Ride Safe...

I have the Q2 and I dont stream music using bluetooth, I use the included coiled cable to stream the music and use the bluetooth for phone calls only. I have had mine about 2 summers now and still get 8 hours of listenening time with mine, and I agree the fm is a bit fidgety, bu it works ok around town. What i use now is a garmin 765t GPS that uses an Sd card to hold music and then transmoit it on an fm signal that the headsets pic up with ease, and when directions are spoken it automatically cuts the music volume and gives you the directions nice and loud...

Brian

Well, the verdict is in, and these headsets are crap.

I was pretty stoked 'cause I thought I had every thing sorted out, but when we got ready to take a ride after dinner it took me a full 20 minutes of messing with these f'n things to realize that streaming audio was never gonna work, and neither was wired audio. The problem is once the VOX switches from audio to intercomm, the head sets never switch back. I had to disconnect and reconnect my iPhone 3 freakin' times and it still wouldn't work right. Same thing for the 4th gen iPod Touch. Neither headset would stay connected to either of my iDevices. I have a feelin' the problem is that gawd awful 30 second delay... That's way too long and there is no way to change it.

We said screw it and went for a ride. What a mess that was. Under 15 mph the intercomm worked pretty well, but at any speed over that, all we heard was wind noise. Lots and lots of wind noise, and this is from behind a windshield...

By this time I was really pissed, and the more we rode the madder I got. Went back home, yanked those worthless things out of the helmets and installed the J & M's.

Screw Bluetooth and digital audio. I'm stayin' with wires and analog thank you....

If yer lookin' for a better sound/intercomm system, the Scala Q2 Pro isn't it....

• 2 weeks later...

Found a much better solution: A Griffin iTrip: http://store.griffintechnology.com/itrip

This thing is sweet! It connects to an iPod or iPhone docking port, it has an auto scan function to find clear frequencies, it has 3 pre-sets, it has an optional control app or you can use the default music player, it has a mini-USB port so you can charge while you ride, and it has pretty decent audio...

And for those of you with Bluetooh head sets, if yours has an FM reciever like the Scala units, you can stream audio to both headsets...