IGNORED

Looking to lower bike slitghtly

85 Royale that I would like to lower slightly -- but from what I am seeing in the forums is a different seat the only way?

I am a little on the "shorter side" and with the bike sitting straight I have the balls of my feet on the ground. Would like a little more than that but can get by -- just wondering what the options are.

Thanks in advance.

Scott

Not really a lot you can do with the 1st gen bike. You can't slide the forks up because of the CLASS system and the air ports in the fork tubes.

Lowering the air pressure in the rear helps a bit but depending on the weight load on the bike it may affect the ride.

So many here have turned to Rick Butler our "Butt Butler" to modify the seat with great success in gaining a little more foot friction at a stop.

Other than that ...... really thick souled boots. :whistling:

But I'm 6'2". What do I know. :rotf:

Having someone on the back makes a great deal of difference! With my wife on the back and the air adjusted I can get both feet flat on the ground...still going to try some more adjustments to the air before I go for the seat change. At 5'7" and 150 lbs I have to do sumpin :)

Scott

Not being real familiar with the forks, even though I did swap springs and had them totally apart for seals(years ago), I seem to remember a spacer in the lower side between the springs. could you not pull that spacer out and reinstall it above the upper spring instead of below?

I think you're referring to the air inlet "clamps"...mine does not have the class system and since I removed the air hoses and clamps, I was able to move the triple clamp down on the fork but you can only gain about 1/2" because the top of the tubes contact a fairing/dash clip on both sides. If you were to modify and remove these clips, you still would not gain more that 1/4" or so. I'm doing all I can to gain whatever I can cuz I'm 5' 4". (don't you say anything Snaggletooth) :)

Is there a suitable replacement spring for the rear that will lower it and keep it from bottoming out? Even with just myself an the lowest setting on the rear shock, I drag my center-stand when coming into my driveway now and then.

Bill

I tried out my newly modified Butler Seat lowered by 1 inch today. Ya I'm a little lower. I'm almost flat footed now. But then I have the Markland Floor Boards. Without the floorboards I would definately be flat footed.

I'm 5' 7" 3/4 with a 32 inseam.

It will be a while before I get to test out the comfort advantage of the Butler Seat Mod.

(don't you say anything Snaggletooth) :)

What? Me? I got nuttin' against those that are vetically challenged. I aways offer to hold them up to get stuff off the top shelves at the store.

My first serious relationship was with a gal that was 4'11" tall. Like I said, I'm a bit past that mark. I had to put paper towels in her shoes so she could go on the rides at the amusement park.

She was the one that broke off the relationship. Not me. Something about getting elbowed in the head everytime I turned around to look for her. She never did try to work on our problem. She stayed 4"11". Just wouldn't meet me half way.

See what happens when ya drag me into this stuff. :rotf:

Mike

When I go "VROD Hunting", I have another front rim with a 100/80/18 tire which lowers the front end a solid 2 inches. The problem being is you loose your Speedo, because it is driven off of the front wheel. The smaller front tire spools the speedo up about 20 MPH. I have a GPS on my 87'VR so it doesn't matter, but for the average rider, 20 MPH is tuff to roll with. I will have another rim and tire set up with an AVON Venom tire at Maint. Day if a First Gen. owner would like to try it out. The intent would be to sell the new tire already mounted on the rim, but I would be OK with a "Test Ride" as well. If you are interested in testing this tire/rim combo, PM me and I will put you on the list.:thumbsup2:

Earl

• 2 weeks later...

The boots make all the difference in the world! With just me on the bike I can now place both feet flat on the ground. With a bike this heavy it makes me feel a lot better :)

Thanks to all -- now for some nice long rides...

Scott

There is the first consideration of side stand lean angle... with all of the air out of the front and back... how does she stand on the side stand? My 86 was just fine with about a 5 degree lean. I changed to Progressive springs on the front (bottoming problems) and they said to use their PVC spacers on top of the new spring... well, first I am 5'8" and 120 lbs... and with that 1/2" spacer and the other parts above the spring, I didn't have enough sand in my pants to compress things enough to get that cap plug started nicely... so I cut down to 3/8" and got it together. Except she leaned about 15 degrees and getting her up off the sidestand required a bit of a "jerk" which had doom writen all over it... plus the taller stance also left me on tip-toe even with thick heeled boots.

Off came the fork caps and out went the PVC spacer... there was still about 1" of parts between the cap plug and threads so I bolted her up... Side stand lean (with very low rear pressure and no front) was back to the happy 5 degree except I could now slide forward on the saddle and stand flat footed... not ideal but worlds better than anything before.

One day I needed to run to the store, tossed on my helmet, saddled up and was almost ready to fire her up when it suddenly dawned on me that the saddle seemed a lot higher... yep, forgot my riding boots! For those of us benefitting from using less material on our jeans, boots make a world of difference.

FYI, Bootbarn is a local main boot dealer here and when I went in they said "We don't DEAL below a size 8!" (I wear a 7). SO I searched and searched... I didn't need a pretty boot, I neded effective protection and thick sole and heel. KMart came to the rescue with a nice, lace up pair for under $30 that have lasted five years and are ready to be replaced (what happened to quality these days ? !!!). But that sure kicks rear on the $180 that Bootbarn was ballparking.

The bike's rear end never had a marketed lowering kit so it's the options of seat mod, great boots and possibly reducing the spacer preload on the front end (your weight might dictate the thoughts about the latter).

Just for reference, here's what I finally had installed for the Progressive (top), and what was in with the original spring respectively...

http://www.bergall.org/temp/venture/springs3.jpg

I may not have to do the seat or progressives -- might be OK as it is right now. I might look at the seat down the line but it is ridable and comfortable now :)

Just want to get to riding it...

Scott

You should probably do the progressives anyway as it helps your handling so much. Its a great improvemtn for about a hndred bucks, and its an easy upgrade too.

Brian

I'll look into it -- any suggestions on where to find the parts? Bikebandit, etc??

Thanks.

Scott

Ive found if i need to do anything on my bike I usually talk to Skydoc in here first. He has made up and sells kits with all the parts to do projects like the progressives and he also includes instructions and his cell number in case you need another idea on how to do something.