IGNORED

Information on scooters

Thistledown

I am thinking of buying a scooter, about 150cc just enough for riding two up with maby a top speed of 50 MPH. don't want to spend a lot of money and some of the chineese ones look good but I am told to stay away from them. Would appreicate any infor on good ones to buy. No , I'm not getting rid of the RSV, the scooter will live on the boat for shore trips.

I'll double down on the advice to stay away from Chinese. I get them in the shop occasionally and the quality is abysmal. I refuse to do anything that might be safety related because I don't want to inherit liability for the junk. I do lots of valve lash adjustments - they are so bad they often stop running at 900 miles with valves too tight.

The Japanese make quality scooters, but you'll have to open the wallet.

Guest tx2sturgis

My little Roketa 150cc scooter is very reliable so far. Goes about 60 mph tops, gets about 65 mpg. The ride is a bit rough and choppy since the wheelbase is short and the suspension components are cheap....but for short stints in the saddle it's not bad. Decent storage under the flip up seat means you can bring home the bacon...and eggs...and milk and bread, if your going shopping.

You have to be willing to do repairs and maintenance yourself. Parts are cheap and easily ordered on the net. If you can't be bothered with taking some time for minor repairs and adjustments, then it's probably better to look at something different.

Would I buy another if mine were stolen or wrecked? You bet. I love the simple twist-n-go ride it provides, especially if I'm just running errands. But you will NEVER look cool riding one, so you can forget about that.

Posting from Plateau Tx tonite.

http://maps.google.com/maps/api/staticmap?center=31.063638,-104.504829&zoom=14&markers=31.063638,-104.504829&size=400x300&sensor=true

Guest tx2sturgis

If the overriding factor in the purchase is going to be price, then yes the Chinese scooters are fine...see my previous post.

'Puters and Scooters, you get what you pay for... If you want something for around $1000-$1500 that will get the job done...then look at http://www.scooterdepot.us or a similar site.

Sure the name brand scooters will probably last a bit longer and have better dealer support. No denying that. But at about double the cost. Like anything else, you get what you pay for. I have actually owned a couple of them, and, For the money, it's not a bad deal. Not everyone wants to go out and pay $3500 for a 50cc or 150cc scooter that will only be ridden 1000 miles a year.

By the way, insurance is pretty cheap for these little scooters, my yearly premium for the Venture actually went DOWN when I added the scooter, because now I receive the multi-vehicle discount and the discount is more than the cost for insuring the scooter.