IGNORED

All the fine work, and now I've got new problems.

Well, fork seals... non issue... those will be fixed in time... just need to make sure I got oil with me.

But... heres current... pressing issue, current today.

Bike idles fine. she'll idle 900-1000K ok. After getting warmed up tho, really well... the idle likes to stick high, 2K area. Today she stuck at 2500, I turn the engine off, turn the engine back on, she starts up and idles around 1, 1.2K

What gives?

Also happen to get crappier MPG now -.-' 29-31... before it was 35 average right up until we had to garage her this year.

We've replaced the caps. I got cracked intake manifolds tho... I can probably clean the K&N AF. Could it be the Ignitech TCI?

and it seems... I'm firing on three cylinders, vs 4. And had problems starting the bike after getting fast food, finally got it to start. But I smelled a heap of gas, and I noticed she wasn't firing clean. The Sound of four - 1 firing, went away revving up. But whole time... she sounded off. Makes me wish I didn't work on the week days.....

Let me better acurate:

Coming back, she was okay... the problems stated in OP when that happened.

Synced the carbs when I got home.

Left the house at 6:00 and it was looking good.

Left at 7:30 to Taco Bell... noticed a slight tone, tone of concern for me. Parked it in the taco bell lot, and went inside.

Come out, push the starter, nothing

Four pushes, nothing.

Five push, fires up but I'm smelling gas and I had to REV it good to get it actually GOING and to get up, had to actually rev it a bit to idle good. From there, 1st gear feels like 2nd.

List of items replaced currently:

Stator (HC from Skydoc)

Pickup Coil (RSV 2000 Pickup)

Throttle cables

TCI, is now Ignitech TCI V88

Edited by JohnMidnight

Spray some starting fluid at the intakes from carb to head, if rpm's increase you found the air leak; you said the intakes were cracked and that's where your extra air enters and fouls idling abilities for these machines.

I knew my abilities were gettin' better!

well... me and my dad had a pow wow as we stood around the Venture.

I started her up just a while ago, she did the same thing she did at Taco Bell. But when she DID get started, all four sparks were going. but to do the starter fluid, I need to FIND it, so I go inside to turn our overhead lights on. I go do that. Takes me 20-30 seconds. I got back out and I notice... shes firing three again.

I can't find our flamable sprays... but I'm standing there, my dads point blank telling me, he's never really overhauled the carbs. And then he does bring up the carb cleaner did eat up those diaphrams.. So I probably really just got a carb problem, and one of them is flooding one of the cylinders. Which makes sense.

and well. Syncing those carbs IS a B**** as they don't really sync, they get CLOSE, and thats it... Just to cover a base...

Anyone know who can rebuild these carbs?

Or better... need just new diaphrams, and SLIDERS... which would be correct... those things we've been getting get eaten alive in my carbs.

I'll head to BuckEye Performance and ask for a quote on some new intakes... after I've found some sparky stuff.

Riding the Wing tomorrow... Going to start paying my dad for the VS650, so I can have it as a backup.

I'm gonna start a check list now... of what other stuff should I be checking, and fixing to make sure the bike works!

@Calgaryrider: Under the trunk is where we're gonna put the new one. We're using the OEM which is OK.Not great, lol.

Edited by JohnMidnight

Hey John,

Go to this web site. We get a VR.ORG discount for the Slider Diaphragms. http://www.siriusconinc.com/ Remember to mention you are a VentureRider.ORG Member. Along with the Carb. Sliders, you have at least one float needle sticking.

Don't waste your time Syncing the Carbs. until you repair the Slider Diaphragms, and get that float needle unstuck.

To answer Markus' question about the best location for a new R/R, I like to mount them under the rear trunk, above the rear tail light. You will need to extend the wires from the harness that went to the old location, but once that is done, the new R/R will enjoy being away from the exhaust collector.

John, here is a doc I created to clean the float bowls with the Carbs. on the bike. This will NOT solve the Diaphragm problem, but will clear that stuck float needle.

Cleaning First Gen. Carbs. On The Bike

I use this cleaning method to unstick a float needle that is causing the gas tank to drain when the bike is parked, or for a Carb. that is passing raw gas out of the overflow tube when the bike is running. This on bike cleaning DOES NOT address the issue of a Carb. Set needing a complete rebuild, (off the bike) and does not address the issue of AIR PASSAGES being blocked, and causing poor performance. These two issues require the Carbs. be removed from the bike.

With the bike on the center stand, and the engine off, I select the first Carb. I want to clean. You will be looking for the Black Plastic Carb. Drain Tube, and the screw that opens that drain. (Phillips Head Screw) You will need a small coffee can, or a coke can with the top cut off, (NO plastic containers) to catch the gas that will come out when you open the drain screw. Allow all of the gas to drain from the Carb. and have a look in the can for “floaters”. (solid particles) With a new can of Carb. Cleaner, insert the red straw in the end of the drain tube. I wrap the junction of the red straw, and the drain tube with a small piece of shop towel to slow the blow by. Press the button on the top of the can of Carb. Cleaner, and count to 3. Remove the red straw and let the cleaner fluid run into the coffee can. Move to the next Carb. and repeat. When you do Carb. #4, start over again, and do them again. I use up one can of Carb. Cleaner on the four Carbs. When the can of Carb. Cleaner is gone, retighten all four drain tube screws,

(CAUTION DO NOT OVERTIGHTEN THE DRAIN SCREWS) Turn on the ignition switch, (do not start bike) listen for the fuel pump to fill the Carb. Bowles and stop pumping, check the drain tubes and the overflow tubes (down in front of rear tire) for fuel leakage, move the can with the Carb. Cleaner/Gas mixture away from the bike, (or better yet, roll the bike out of the garage) and start the bike. (It may take a few short bursts on the starter motor, and you may need to choke it as well) Go for a ride and “blow the cobwebs out” (my personal FAV part) if this doesn’t solve your problem, then a “Carbs. Off Rebuild” may be in order. On a side note, I run 3 ounces of Seafoam in every tank of gas I put in my 87’and 89’VR because of the negative effects of the Ethanol in the fuel these days. Because of my shop here in South Central PA. I buy OEM parts direct from Yamaha, and share my discount with the VR.ORG members. It would be my pleasure to help you with any project you have in mind for your First Gen. VR.

Earl (skydoc_17)

AFTER you replace the Carb. Diaphragms, you need to install afresh set of plugs, most likely a new set of plug wires, and you NEED to start running Seafoam in your gas tank regularly. Hope these things help.

Earl

Seems that quote session got buggered... copy and paste job now.

Hey Earl, thanks, I'll give that a try... though we might have a problem with one of the carbs, as the drain tube, my dad busted that off a long time ago (I think it was back in 96... sounds about right, all that loud cursin' in the backroom)

Where should I get SeaFoam? and could THAT be why we've been seeing scuffing and abnormal wear on the slides? I noticed that multiple times recently, which is why I think the slide also happens to have screwed up.

As for the plug wires, yea, thats been on my mind every time I go at the engine. I think I last saw a batch for 30$s for four wires boots, and rubbers.

Found em again. NGK ones on Ebay, wonder if I can just unscrew each spark plug cable and rebuild it without removing everything....

Edited by JohnMidnight

Don't mean to change the subject but I'm doing the stater and r/r tomorrow and if you changed the r/r where did you put it. Just from a quick look it doesn't look like it'll fit in original spot.

Thnx

Markus

Or if you're feeling like tearing into things........this worked well for me inside the fairing.

Mike

well... me and my dad had a pow wow as we stood around the Venture.

I started her up just a while ago, she did the same thing she did at Taco Bell. But when she DID get started, all four sparks were going. but to do the starter fluid, I need to FIND it, so I go inside to turn our overhead lights on. I go do that. Takes me 20-30 seconds. I got back out and I notice... shes firing three again.

I can't find our flamable sprays... but I'm standing there, my dads point blank telling me, he's never really overhauled the carbs. And then he does bring up the carb cleaner did eat up those diaphrams.. So I probably really just got a carb problem, and one of them is flooding one of the cylinders. Which makes sense.

and well. Syncing those carbs IS a B**** as they don't really sync, they get CLOSE, and thats it... Just to cover a base...

Anyone know who can rebuild these carbs?

Or better... need just new diaphrams, and SLIDERS... which would be correct... those things we've been getting get eaten alive in my carbs.

I'll head to BuckEye Performance and ask for a quote on some new intakes... after I've found some sparky stuff.

Riding the Wing tomorrow... Going to start paying my dad for the VS650, so I can have it as a backup.

I'm gonna start a check list now... of what other stuff should I be checking, and fixing to make sure the bike works!

@Calgaryrider: Under the trunk is where we're gonna put the new one. We're using the OEM which is OK.Not great, lol.

John,

If your carb boots are cracked and causing even the slightest vacuum leak you will never get her dialed in. You will have to replace those boots before you do anything else bro!

Just bought some seafoam and carbcleaner from autozone. Tried the seafoam. 3oz. Started up the bike. Heard three firing. Let choke go on and it started to sputter and complain. Then I heard all four. Rather nice. Will run the carb cleaner tomorrow. Ride to valereo full up and pour in three ounces of seafoam.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9810 using Tapatalk