I've seen that there are several valve shim kits floating around, like RandyR sent his kit to Bill, all I was wondering if someone had two 270s and one 285 shims, I have a bunch of 275s and 280s to swap, or are the numbers I need the ones that every else needs/used and are thus hard to get? I haven't tried a dealer yet to see if they do swaps. I don't need the shim tool either.

I'm located in Milwaukee, I'm hoping to find some soon as I want to have my engine buttoned up & back in the frame over Memorial Day weekend.

-Andrew

I am working on getting a surface grinder to add to my basement shop. Then I can have any thickness shim I want.

I have been told that I will always need a thinner shim than what was there.

Unfortunately that will not help you now.

Give me a call tonight to remind me to dig out and check the shims that I have.

I am working on getting a surface grinder to add to my basement shop. Then I can have any thickness shim I want.

I have been told that I will always need a thinner shim than what was there.

Unfortunately that will not help you now.

Give me a call tonight to remind me to dig out and check the shims that I have.

Jeff, that's what I did when I needed some thinner shims last fall when I adjusted mine. I work in a tool and die shop so I just ground some of the thicker ones down to what I needed. I then took an engraver and engraved the underside with the corrected thickness.

Jeff,

I can give you a handful of 25mm dia shims that are over 3.0mm thick to use in your grinder when you get it set up. I got a set of shims from a Toyota 6cyl engine and about half of them are thicker thanI've ever seen in a motorcycle engine.

I thought I had a list of all my shims somewhere on the computer. I can't find it right now.

Randy

Jeff, sorry for not giving you a call. I got home at 5 and wasn't sure when you got home from work, so I waited and when I finally remembered it was after 10pm. Randy got back to me and said he has some of the sizes I need. BTW, once you get that grinder up and running, I have a handful you can test and make smaller.

-Andrew

Thats OK. I managed to remember all by myself.......:whistling:

It will be a while on the grinder, I'm still working on talking them into selling it to me, and then it will take a while to disassemble it, get it home, reassemble it, and set it up.