IGNORED

Caution

Marcarl

Don't want to make this another tire thread,,, no need,,,, just want to report that I was riding with a friend yesterday, who rides a Wing,,, not that it matters,,,, but he had his tires changed to Avons,,,,,,,,, from????????????? Metzlers,,,,,,,, and why am I making this post??????? he was surprised that when they showed him the rear tire there was a piece missing. It was time to change the tire, but not super urgent. We do not know the date on the tire, how many miles or how long it's been on the scoot.

just so you know

I used to have Avons on the Vulcan, but have switched to the Metzlers and I'll never go back. When the Venture is ready for new shoes, I'll be going with Metzlers on it too. Avons are WAY too soft.

I used to have Avons on the Vulcan, but have switched to the Metzlers and I'll never go back. When the Venture is ready for new shoes, I'll be going with Metzlers on it too. Avons are WAY too soft.

Carl can be a little confusing at times but I am thinking the Metzler was the tire with the piece missing.

Az Bones, before making that decision do you homework here on the site and see how many have issues with the Metzlers.

Never had Metzlers but many people love them, but it appears they do not hold up on these bigger bikes. Personally I am not a gambler at the slots and even less when it comes to tires on a Motorcycle. IF you go that route I hope you do not have any issues.

Brad

Had the Metzler on mine, came with it when I bought the bike. Do not know how many miles, but tread was getting thin, so ordered Avons. Pulled the Metzlers off, and noticed a pretty good split in the tread:shock3:. Tires were date from the end of 2006, so maybe the age had some effect.

But let me tell you, these Avons are awesome. I am riding on rails. The turning effort at slow speeds are way less, and at highway speeds its like butter!

Needless to say I am happier than a monkey on a cupcake, its a totally different bike. Hoping the mileage on the Avons are great as the ride.

ok question??? Do you mean there was a piece missing from the new Avon that he had just put on the bike??????? Just a little confused here!

No, there was nothing wrong with the Avon,,,, the Metzler had a piece missing, showing the threads. Sorry about the confusion, guess I figured everybody had a handle on the Metzlers.

Probably the Metzler had one of those "points" missing, right Carl? Metzlers just dont hold up well under the weight of an RSV. Out of 3 sets of Metz, I lost rubber from 2 sets. That was 1 set way too many for me but I gave them another shot and they failed miserably again. Their customer service also sucks big time. Had Avons before and now after the Metz experiment. They always worked for me. I know, I know, some of yous guys never had issues with the Metz tires. Count yourselves among the blessed then. Im just saying..........

The Metzlers are the brand with the problem. I have read about this before. I love the Avons myself and got 12,500 out of the last set. I am a guy who likes to hear the pipes sometimes to, meaning I probably leave a little rubber on the road when moving from a stop sometimes.

Notice that Carl highlighted/or made bold, the Metzlers and Piece Missing. Just as Carl, I thought everyone knew about this.

James :2cents:

Dunlop E3s for me. Don't need Metzlers chunking out on me, and I don't need any more

Avons splitting & cracking on me. I learned my lesson with the Avons.:no-no-no:

On my 3rd set of E3s, and they work just fine.:happy34:

Dunlop E3s for me. Don't need Metzlers chunking out on me, and I don't need any more

Avons splitting & cracking on me. I learned my lesson with the Avons.:no-no-no:

On my 3rd set of E3s, and they work just fine.:happy34:

They (Avon) fixed that problem Monty. I called about 4 years ago and spoke to them about that. They gave me a date that they had recalls on and I also got it from V7Goose I think. I have wore out two sets and no problems with cracks in the sidewalls at all. The gentleman was really nice about it and assured me if I had any problems to just give them a call and they make it right. He assured me that the problem had been fixed though. I think I even posted here about my phone call and who I spoke with.

James

Avon also had a similar problem back in the 80's and again they got right on it honored their warrenties and fixed the problem.Their customer service was great also. However I think many problems with Avon comes from running them low on air. They like to be run at or near the limit posted on the sidewall.The last time I looked that was 50 lbs.Most other tires stop at 40 lbs.Thats a big difference.