IGNORED

Which gps

This is a loaded question. In my opinion it totally depends on your budget. The Zumo series from Garmin are motorcycle specific. They are waterproof and come with the hardware to mount in a car and on the bike. Screen is bright enough to read in sunlight and you can make up a route before you leave. Routes can be shared with anyone that has a similar garmin product. BUT they are expensive. I have the Zumo 660 and really like it.

Probably to biggest complaint I hear from a GPS owner, is that they can't see it in bright sunlight. It really depends on what you like as to what you get used to. Each has it's advantages and drawbacks. For a MC, it should be able to take vibrations, somehow keep the water out and should be glove friendly. But if you can't see it in broad daylight, it becomes kind of useless at times and you'll be disappointed. If you have a sound system on your scoot, you want to make sure that it will integrate with your sound system or you won't be able to hear instuctions when riding. If you want it to be an MP3 player, that should be there as well. The Zumo 660 does everything I want it to,, almost, there always something missing,,,,,,,,and oh, if your name is Carl you'll want to make sure it's drop resistant as well.

Yep.. budget is about the only limit. I'm still a newbie to the GPS scene. I bought a Nextar off Woot a year or so ago to get started for like $40.00. I didn't know nuttin about GPS's then but was happy with the unit as it did what I wanted it to do. I bought a TomTom 550 off Woot again for $80.00 this summer to step up. Some disappointments as it did not have some of the features I was used to on the $40.00 unit. I got over that with the bigger screen and the fact it was glove friendly. That was huge! And a lot more features that were NOT on the first unit.

A waterproof case helps protect mine on the bars and am working on a sun shade to help with the screen. As stated, many screens are not bright enough for full daylight. You have a digital camera? Same issue. It comes with a cost.

Have fun choosing one..... So many out there. As long as this TomTom still can find a gas station I'll be happy with it.

:080402gudl_prv:

Mike

Joe,

Check this out for your Nuvi 250. Waterproof gps case for scoots. :cool10:

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/Duragadget-Bicycle-Waterproof-satnavs-including/dp/B003CSLB82/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1337026872&sr=8-2]Amazon.com: Duragadget Cycle./ Bike / Bicycle Waterproof holder mount and case for GPS satnavs, fits all models including garmin Nuvi models 200w, Nuvi 205w, Nuvi 250w, Nuvi 255w, Nuvi 260w, Nuvi 265w, Nuvi 265wt, Nuvi 270w, Nuvi 600, Nuvi 610, Nuvi 650, Nuvi 660, Nu: Computers & Accessories@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41tThPzwdIL.@@AMEPARAM@@41tThPzwdIL[/ame]

I've got a garmin nuvi 205w that I absolutely love I use it in the 18 wheeler and when I'm 16 wheels short its got me down the road now for about 750,000 miles trouble free but......... It's not waterproof "its gotten rained on with no problems" and on a REALLY bright day its hard to see on the bike I did recently mount it on a R.A.M. mount and that helped gave me a few more ways to adjust it on sunny days

I've got an old TomTom somethin' or 'nuther. It works pretty good in a pinch. It'll get you home if you're lost and get you lost if you're not. I put a baggy over it when it looks like rain. Most times I just know where I'm goin'! They still make paper maps and Google!

I have a Garmin 765T. It is NOT a motorcycle specific unit but it works dang well. I got it last year off e-bay for around $70 I think and bought a 2yr extende warranty for like $20. I carrya zip lock bag to put over it if it rains and if it gets pouring I supose I'll just take it off and store it. I also bought a RAM mount. Best way I have seen to mount it up so its readable and secure. I have seen guys mount plexiglass do dads and use the suction cup to it and no tether. I know mine would have been in the ditch somewhere. The 765T also has MP3 player and bluetooth. If you contact Buddy Rich here he makes a cable you can use to make your phone calles over the intercom thru the GPS blue tooth.

For me the motorcycle specific units were just way to high. I can almost make payments on the bike for 6 months for waht they want for them. For the bike I would definatly make sure you can program and make your own routes. It is really cool to have the thing tell you the roads you have planned to take instead of what it chooses. Check out this site. Lots of info on GPS of all makes. The folks there are helpful on telling you what model does what.

I've been using a Nuvi 1390 on board for about a year without any issues. It cost a couple hundred at the time, but they've come down in price since. I don't think this unit is designed for cycles, but it has survived two rainfalls, adverse temps and vibration. I keep a ziplock nearby for torrentials. Matte finished has good anti glare but can be difficult to see at certain angles during full sun. Re-adjust the screen angle and good to go.

I was reading somewhere (danged if I remember where now) about some of the differences between a cell phone GPS and a dedicated unit. Biggest one I remember that jumped out at me was the amount of satalites they use. I wondered why the phone, although it works is rather slow about it and tells you to make alot of u-turns as it is slow about giving you notification of upcomming turns etc. It said that the phones use only one or two satalites and the dedicated GPs uses 3. So its quicker to compair and figure out what you need to do. My phone will usually get me from point A to B but I sure wouldnt have wanted to rely on it for my trip last summer.

Never had a problem with my phone, it can also triangulate based on cell signal. If you have no view of the sky ( forest) the gps won't find you until you move to an open area. The phone goes to cell towers. In around lots of tall buildings , areas of downtown Chicago, gps's hate it and will bounce your position. I use gps drive as a paid app and it gives turn by turn with voice instruction, redirects you . . .

I use a Garmin 2730 Streetpilot with XM radio mostly in my car and I have a 2720 Streetpilot on my bikes, they are both excellent and now fairly low cost units, the 2720 cost $100 of Ebay. These units are designed for use on a motorcycle, the buttons are glove friendly and they are IP66 / 65 waterproof. I have recently bought a 2005 Venture and it is the first motorcycle I have owned with a sound system so I may try the 2730 with XM radio thru the aux input, also if you subscribe fro the service weather and traffic status is diplayed on the 2730. The only drawback is the Garmin map upgrade cost of $80 every few years, but considering the latest Garmin equivalent unit the 660 / 665 is around $700 the Streetpilot is still a good choice.

http://roadminge.smugmug.com/Travel/Canada-or-bust-Long-Way-Up/IMG1360/337268621_gmXJv-XL.jpg

Don't know if a GPS known as the NAVIG8R i43 is available top-side.

Made by Laser.

I have one on my RSV.

Retails for $98 with life-time map upgrades.

Is glove-friendly and has a 4.3" wide screen.

Only 1cm thick.

Craps all over my TomTom for features.