IGNORED

Handle Bar Accessory Turn Buckle Bar

GolfVenture

OK, here's my latest invention on how I plan to mount up to 3 accessories on the Handle Bar Accessory Turn Buckle Bar. Now that’s a mouthful.

Each End is a 17 mm opening that fits over each 17 mm nut.

First You turn the turn buckle to draw the ends in.

You slide the left end in over the 17mm nut.

Then slide the right end into the opening

You grab the Right End then you turn the center of the turn buckle down.

As the right end buts up against the 17 mm nut you twist the right end to fit over the 17 mm nut as you continue to turn the turn buckle.

The two ends will extend out putting pressure onto the handle bars.

The bar is milled at 7/8 inch.

I will be putting the least strength lock tight on the turn buckle threads.

The 17 mm openings on each end will be slghtly tapered so to make a real tight fit.

I plan to mount my GPS, Ipod, Cell Phone.

Bob Myers and Snaggletooth aka Mike have been colaberating on this same deal. 2 piece instead of one solid piec, but Bob has had the item made for a 1st gen since like 2008. See http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=25921 and http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=69334 I think they have got together and Bob is going to make some.

Bob Myers and Snaggletooth aka Mike have been colaberating on this same deal. 2 piece instead of one solid piec, but Bob has had the item made for a 1st gen since like 2008. See http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=25921 and http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=69334 I think they have got together and Bob is going to make some.

Brian's concept is different than what Snag has come up with in my opinion. Yes, they both will mount accessories, but they are different. And Brian's will potentially yield more mounting area.

I can see a design issue with the full crossbar, the length and engagement of the ends will vary depending on what position the risers are in. There are at least 3 positions the risers can be set at, depending on rider preference. This is adjustable under the center key cover pod.

From one extreme to the other there may be 2" or more of length change between the insides of the riser mount points.

Gary

Brian's concept is different than what Snag has come up with in my opinion. Yes, they both will mount accessories, but they are different. And Brian's will potentially yield more mounting area.

I can see a design issue with the full crossbar, the length and engagement of the ends will vary depending on what position the risers are in. There are at least 3 positions the risers can be set at, depending on rider preference. This is adjustable under the center key cover pod.

From one extreme to the other there may be 2" or more of length change between the insides of the riser mount points.

Gary

Ya I'm going to be experimenting with the other handle bar settings and making some prototypes. I would be interested if each reader would measure the top opening of their bars, per the picture, so to see what settings are most commonally used. Mine are currently set at 11 3/8. I really do not think anyone would be setting their handle bars any narrower than 11 3/8. I'll be opening my bars up this week and taking some measurements.

Is there anything similiar for the 2nd gen Venture? I was talking to another rider about how to design/make a crossbar for peripheral gadget mounting just a couple of weeks ago. The 2nd gen, as we see it, would require some sort of adjustable mount on each end to fasten to the bars.

Is there anything similiar for the 2nd gen Venture? I was talking to another rider about how to design/make a crossbar for peripheral gadget mounting just a couple of weeks ago. The 2nd gen, as we see it, would require some sort of adjustable mount on each end to fasten to the bars.

I'll do some investigating for 2nd Gen.

You know, if you used tubing, welded one end in solid and used a 6" long end on the other side you could kill 2 birds with a single stone. You would have 4 inches or so of adjustment and also be able to clock the end to fit on the nut no matter where it was orientated. A stainless set screw or similar would suffice to lock it in place.

On edit, I see you did use tubing. Dang, that really turned out nice, but a lot of work!

What about this idea.

About drilling a cone shape hole into the left bolt of the handel bar bolt and the left end of the turn buckle bar come to a small round point so the rounded point can rotate and swivle to accomodiate the varing handle bar angle positions in the cone hole of the bolt. Then allow the turn buckle to lengthen the bar. Might still incorporate a locking nut on the threaded end.

The more I look at mine installed, I really like how it looks.

It would stabilize the handle bars more, and maybe we could make the 1st Gen VR more versatile of becoming an Off Rode Venture also. ;-)

• 4 weeks later...

Brian,

What is the status of these ? all 4 of mine had the same 11 1/4ish measurement with the bars in what I consider the normal position.

I would be interested in 2 of these for the 89 and 87. You gotta quit teasing us :no-no-no: with these cool things and tell us the feasibility of having them available. :happy65:

I know you are planning your trip..:sun:... just don't forget about those of us out here... :cool10:

Kic: Due to the lack of interest, my friend hasn't even thought of a price except that he said it would be pretty expensive to make one or two.

He has a way to make it adjustable but there has been very llittle interest in that also.

I was hoping that there would be more interest from the 2nd Gen group for had there been the main center piece and the adjustable piece would be the same.

Maybe do a bump near Christmas time and see if there might be more interest. I get things that I wouldn't normally buy during the year.

When I get back I'll see if I can get a price for two, 5, 10, 15 and 20 quantities, just for the entertainment.

Edited by Golf&Venture

Right now I'm only asking for those interested to post so I can get an idea of interest. The more that just shows interest then there is a very good chance that the item would be very affordable. For example say we got 20 that were just interested. Then my friend would say for 20 he would make them for X amount each.

I would then relate that back to this group and ask how many want one for that amount. We would go from there until we could get a firm price for a specific quatity for some may drop out and then others may jump in.

So for those who are interested and have not expressed it, please do so on this thread.

Just indicate 1st or 2nd Gen and quantity since some have multi Ventures.

Brian,

It seems that most (90% ?) of the 1st Gen bars are at the same setting. I would just figure that that would be your target audience on the group buy. I think once a price was out there, for like 20, you would be able to gauge the actual purchase amount.

If you get enough at that amount, and more want them, the price could lower a little and bring even more buyers to the table.

Just a thought.

Bill

Joe and I have been talking about a cross bar for his RSTD since Bob and Snaggletooth first showed his. So there is some interest for these cross bars even for the 2nd geners out there. My thought was a simple bar with a flat strip welded on the end and then using a Kuryakyn "P" clamp on the bars to attach the ends of the cross bar.

Chroming them would be expensive but there's also the "Super Chrome" the powder coaters use. Which should be 1/3 the cost of chrome.

I'm sure there's other ways of doing this as well.

Larry

Joe and I have been talking about a cross bar for his RSTD since Bob and Snaggletooth first showed his. So there is some interest for these cross bars even for the 2nd geners out there. My thought was a simple bar with a flat strip welded on the end and then using a Kuryakyn "P" clamp on the bars to attach the ends of the cross bar.

Chroming them would be expensive but there's also the "Super Chrome" the powder coaters use. Which should be 1/3 the cost of chrome.

I'm sure there's other ways of doing this as well.

Larry

As the saying goes more ways to skin a cat.

Just consider that with a Turn Buckle Cross Bar you have some flexibility as to where you want to place it. Your desire for placing the bar in various placed may change as your riding preference for accessory location may change.

If you want to be counted as interested then please indicate so. It is just an interest count, eventually the more interest we have the better price we'll possible get.