IGNORED

Hats off to Skydoc...........

DragonRider

I replaced that mess that used to be my fuse box on the 83. It sure was easy, the kit is well put together and very easy to install with Skydoc's instructions...........

I couldnt wait to turn the key on and see the electrical system come back to life...............nothing happened, I checked all the wiring again, did exactly as he stated in the instructions...........everything is right. Thought maybe the battery was dead so I hooked the charger up to it and then tried the key again...........nothing. Stood there scratching my head, then the light went on...........You gotta put fuses in it before it will work.:bang head::bang head:............man did I feel like a total idiot.:doh::doh:.........gotta pick up the fuses today on the way home from work.

Hey Lewis,

Thanks for those kind words! I must admit, I am feeling a bit guilty! Jean was reading over my shoulder, sipping on her coffee when she basically drowned me! :crackup: The Karma Monster has repaid me in full for not throwing a few fuses in your kit, Lewis! In the beginning, I used to offer this kit WITH fuses, but I received so many phone calls and PM's about my "poor" selection of fuses that I stopped putting them in the kit. It never dawned on me that this would cause a much different problem! Your honesty is refreshing Lewis, I sure got a good laugh out of your story.

Thanks for being a good sport about that project! Oh yea, Jean said, "Dang that Lewis, now I gotta' do laundry, You're a mess Earl!" Payment in full I assure you, for my error!

:Laugh:

Soggy Earl, and Drippy Jean!

Hey guys,

I'm going to replace the fuse mess on my 85 venture on my next free weekend. Can anyone tell me where I can buy the kit?

Thanks

Chuk

try here! Its in classifieds under vender members

http://www.venturerider.org/classifieds/showproduct.php?product=3762&title=first-genfuse-box-upgrade-kit-21&cat=22

Skydoc is top notch:happy34:

You offer such a great product with a great price, ease of installation, and some were complaining about the quality of fuses!!!........I can understand Earl's dilemma over choosing fuses, when I went to purchase the fuses, I couldn't believe how many different choices there were for them, they had low profile, standard fuses, fuses that lit up when they were good, the choices were endless.:think:...and the prices were all over the place:mo money:..........so I think you did the right thing by omitting them, I didn't mind buying them, now I have spares and a tester that came with the kit, it only cost me $14.00 for 40 fuses and the tester, now I wont have to scurry when and if a fuse blows, they will be in the bike where they can be handy. Thanks again Earl, great product. It just goes to show, you can please some of the people some of the time, but you can't please all the people all the time.:crying:

Now after having to pull the carbs off to change where the YICS hoses were hooked up, I noticed when I hooked the cables back up for the throttle that the pull cable wasn't moving, sure enough, I open the throttle grip and it had snapped at the mount. You got any upgrade kits for those..........the costs just keep going up on this project, but I can't complain, I have free help, free tech help here and the main parts for the project were donated and I have a ton of extra parts just in case I need them, the donor motor was an 86, and lots of the parts are interchangeable with the 83. Thanks to everyone here on the forum and my volunteer helpers this bike is gonna be really nice when I finish it. It should be good for a few thousand miles......

Hey Lewis,

Thanks for those kind words! I must admit, I am feeling a bit guilty! Jean was reading over my shoulder, sipping on her coffee when she basically drowned me! :crackup: The Karma Monster has repaid me in full for not throwing a few fuses in your kit, Lewis! In the beginning, I used to offer this kit WITH fuses, but I received so many phone calls and PM's about my "poor" selection of fuses that I stopped putting them in the kit. It never dawned on me that this would cause a much different problem! Your honesty is refreshing Lewis, I sure got a good laugh out of your story.

Thanks for being a good sport about that project! Oh yea, Jean said, "Dang that Lewis, now I gotta' do laundry, You're a mess Earl!" Payment in full I assure you, for my error!

:Laugh:

Soggy Earl, and Drippy Jean!

Here is one but shipping is high and should be some cheaper. There are a bunch of them on there right now.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/YAMAHA-1983-XVZ1200-XVZ-1200-VENTURE-RIGHT-CONTROLS-ENGINE-STOP-OFF-RUN-START-/380438382999?hash=item5893e50997&item=380438382999&pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&vxp=mtr

Edited by Yammer Dan

I got to give Kudo's to earl also, kit was a breeze to install and love the look, my only problem I can't use the cover, my fake gas tank cover will not install right with the cover on the fuse kit, not sure if this is just a 85 problem or not ? I have tried to move to all over and just don't seem to work. Would it be possible for you to send a photo of where you put yours ? Not a real big deal I just covered it with electric tape for now.

I havent gotten that far in putting the bike back together yet, but I will go down to the shop and see if the top will fit where I have it installed, I am thinking it may need to be moved also.

I got to give Kudo's to earl also, kit was a breeze to install and love the look, my only problem I can't use the cover, my fake gas tank cover will not install right with the cover on the fuse kit, not sure if this is just a 85 problem or not ? I have tried to move to all over and just don't seem to work. Would it be possible for you to send a photo of where you put yours ? Not a real big deal I just covered it with electric tape for now.

I replaced that mess that used to be my fuse box on the 83. It sure was easy, the kit is well put together and very easy to install with Skydoc's instructions...........

I couldnt wait to turn the key on and see the electrical system come back to life...............nothing happened, I checked all the wiring again, did exactly as he stated in the instructions...........everything is right. Thought maybe the battery was dead so I hooked the charger up to it and then tried the key again...........nothing. Stood there scratching my head, then the light went on...........You gotta put fuses in it before it will work.:bang head::bang head:............man did I feel like a total idiot.:doh::doh:.........gotta pick up the fuses today on the way home from work.

What, SkyDoc didn't supply fuses? How were you to know? :rotf:

Because some batteries are made in the USA, (SAE Measurements) and some are manufactured over seas, (Metric Measurements) the general dimensions of the battery vary from battery to battery. The stock fuse box mount actually attaches to the "rubber band" that holds the battery in the battery box. This stock mount will slide front to back on the rubber band. If you happen to have one of the batteries that are a bit taller, then try this trick. Remove the rubber "mat" that looks like a piece of "swiss cheese" in the bottom of the battery box. This will lower the battery about 1/8", and this combined with the fuse box being slid as far forward as possible should give you the clearance you need to attach the fuse box cover, and install the False Tank Cover. If you have one of the newer style AGM type batteries, it is almost an inch shorter, and clearance is not a problem at all.

I hope this helps!:thumbsup2:

Earl