IGNORED

front fork lower guide bushing

Guest Rev'n Ahead

Guest Rev'n Ahead

Hey,

Had the local shop pull the front fork to replace the leaky seals and they came back to me with news that the lower guide bushing needs to be replaced and they're not sure they can find it.

I've looked around (online) and have found a "metal, slide 1" available from a number of places but no one lists the guide bushing. This is the one at the bottom end of the inner tube... it's pressed on to the tube.

Anyone know where I might get one??? Help... I can't ride till I get one cuz they won't safety certify the bike like it is. And I REALLY want to ride.

I'm almost in tear every time I see a rider go by... help, please...

Mark

Hey,

Had the local shop pull the front fork to replace the leaky seals and they came back to me with news that the lower guide bushing needs to be replaced and they're not sure they can find it.

I've looked around (online) and have found a "metal, slide 1" available from a number of places but no one lists the guide bushing. This is the one at the bottom end of the inner tube... it's pressed on to the tube.

Anyone know where I might get one??? Help... I can't ride till I get one cuz they won't safety certify the bike like it is. And I REALLY want to ride.

I'm almost in tear every time I see a rider go by... help, please...

Mark

Look at a different year (same upper tubes), PISTON,FRONT FORK 3JJ-23171-00-00 this is from an 85 listing. This bushing is not pressed on to the tube, but opened slightly to slide it into place. The 83 did not list them seperately, as well.

Just my opinion but I'd say the shop ain't trying very hard. These seem to quite available. I don't have the part numbers handy but if you PM skydoc_17 (Earl) he can help you out. I have a bought a couple sets, both sides upper and lowers along with seals from him with no problems. Same from Buckeye Performance.

If they find one badly worn, it would be best to replace them all or you risking doing the seal again.

Mike

Edited by Snaggletooth

Just my opinion but I'd say the shop ain't trying very hard. These seem to quite available.

If they find one badly worn, it would be best to replace them all or you risking doing the seal again.

Mike

After the first couple of years, yamaha started listing the bushings seperately from the fork tube itself.

These guys, are not thinking to check other years, as in all 1st gen listings, or aftermarket (racetech).

Mike, I agree, do them all, while it is apart this time........... :2cents:

Guest Rev'n Ahead

i see that you have listed the parts as "metal slide"... yah, we can get that, but the mechanic seems to be saying that there is another bushing which sits on the inner fork (not sliding on it) which is buggered and needs to be changed.

Does this make any sense to anyone?

HELP

Here are some pics of the bushings involved.

The first pic shows both on the inner tubes.

The second shows the lower bushing, the one I think they described as pressed on, but in fact it has a split that snaps into place in the groove as shown on the upper tube about it in the pic.

The last pic shows the position of the upper bushing just before pressing it into the outer leg before seating the seal and retaining washers.

Mike

My 89 forks had a "bushing type" end cap that didn't show up on the first parts diagram I had.

Look on the right side of the diagram below and see if they are talking about part # 30.62

and I posted a picture of the "cap". Just a thought.

I don't think he'll run into that on his '84 unless somebody swapped the forks for new models. But.... with these old girls.... ya never know.

Mike

I agree...it would be a good idea if he took a parts list to the mechanic and had him "ID" the exact bushing he is talking about.