IGNORED

Diggin' for Canadian info on a non-bike subject

Condor

Heads up Toronto. I have a package that I need to ship to a customer up your way. It's about 25# and 18x18x24 in size so this time around USPS is not possible. What's the better choice between UPS and FedX?? I understand UPS can get you on agent fees. Is FedX the same?? Thanks for any advice.

Heads up Toronto. I have a package that I need to ship to a customer up your way. It's about 25# and 18x18x24 in size so this time around USPS is not possible. What's the better choice between UPS and FedX?? I understand UPS can get you on agent fees. Is FedX the same?? Thanks for any advice.

Fedex, Purolator and UPS all have hidden customs brokerage fees that borderline on robbery. If you mark it as a gift you may get away with it as I think its based mostly on value.

Brian

Fedex, Purolator and UPS all have hidden customs brokerage fees that borderline on robbery. If you mark it as a gift you may get away with it as I think its based mostly on value.

Brian

Thanks, I may reduce the invoice amount down to a couple of hundred bucks, but then I'd be out on a limb for the insurance amount. I was hoping that FedX might be better?? I'm going to double check USPS International Priority for max dimentions. Maybe???

Maybe send it to one of the US members close to the border and then get a Canuck to bring it north and mail it from here. The last time I got something sent UPS was my Drift camera and for the 170 buck camera incl shipping charges, they wanted another 40 bucks cash at the door. And they dont have that listed anywhere on their documents. (but you wouldnt have to pay the extra chg, it gets collect from the Canada side of the border, not yours......unless they refuse it then you might get a back charge)

Brian

Maybe send it to one of the US members close to the border and then get a Canuck to bring it north and mail it from here. The last time I got something sent UPS was my Drift camera and for the 170 buck camera incl shipping charges, they wanted another 40 bucks cash at the door. And they dont have that listed anywhere on their documents. (but you wouldnt have to pay the extra chg, it gets collect from the Canada side of the border, not yours......unless they refuse it then you might get a back charge)

Brian

This is a business customer. I did ask him if he had anyone in the US, but he said he didn't. I just looked up the shipping cost for all 3 options and UPS came out the least... go figure.. Generally they are the highest. I know it's picked up on that end, i was just trying to save the guy a few bucks. The value of the item is $900US.

any time I have had stuff from US via UPS there is a chance of customs fees about $25 ++..USPS at the post office at pick up time maybe a customs fee of $5 plus HST (tax) at value of item of 13%....I just had HD mufflers shipped via USPS and it came no problem and no taxes/duties.....you know how govt works

any time I have had stuff from US via UPS there is a chance of customs fees about $25 ++..USPS at the post office at pick up time maybe a customs fee of $5 plus HST (tax) at value of item of 13%....I just had HD mufflers shipped via USPS and it came no problem and no taxes/duties.....you know how govt works

The problem with USPS is the size of the box, which I put in my first post. Just for the heck of it I ran the numbers for USPS and shipping was close to $200 bucks. FedX ran about $130, and UPS came in at $91. They were all insured for $900 bucks. In the past I shipped quite a few MAC Mufflers, and a bunch of Fork Braces using small flat rate boxes, to Canada without any problem, but this one is the exception. I was just trying to save the customer a few bucks, but this time I guess it ain't in the cards.... :)