IGNORED

Anyone recognize the brand of this hitch?

Does anyone recognize what brand this hitch may be? Anyone know where I might find a replacement lens for the flap light and some install instructions? It came off a 88 VR and I am installing on my 90 VR. These pictures were taken by the previous owner.

I have that same hitch on my '84 but my link arms are chrome whereas yours look like they were homemade. It had a sticker on the inside but the name was unreadable but I think the address was somewhere in the middle states like Nebraska or something like that...

It's a commercially built hitch. You can see some of the holes are square and punched with a broach. The bends were done on a hydropress. On the back of the lights it has the manufacturer as Drag Specialties. The lens size is 1 3/4 wide, 1 5/16 high and hole spacing is 1 7/16. Each light assembly is 4 1/4 wide X 1 5/8 high. All the ones I see on the websites are bigger than this.

Those lenses were used alot on the extra lights from both Honda nad Yamaha back in the day.JC Whitney still sells lights with that size lens and Drag probably does too.I think I would go to Drag 1st.They may not have the dimpled lenses but they will have something that size.

I have that same hitch on my '84 but my link arms are chrome whereas yours look like they were homemade. It had a sticker on the inside but the name was unreadable but I think the address was somewhere in the middle states like Nebraska or something like that...

Jeepers Bob could you not narrow it down just a little closer :sign20:

:sign13:

Brad

I contacted Drag Specialties. They said this size was discontinued many years ago and are no longer available. The newer ones are somewhat bigger and will not work. The Baron lights are the same way. I guess I'll just remove the lights and make a stainless steel block off plate.

It is a Hitchco (Hitch Company) trailer hitch. Back in the day they were in Arkansas, but today the only company with that name and type of business is in Canada. Web site: http://www.hitchcompany.com/

It doesn't appear the current company has any motorcycle related items any more. But maybe contact them and on the off chance, they might have some information in the archives.

I have a VTS VentureRoad magazine from 1985 where Hitchco has an ad and shows their hitch on a MKI Venture, but the image isn't very clear. The ad mentions that their hitch mounts to the frame (as opposed to saddlebag subframes?)

The previous owner sent me written on how it was mounted on his bike:

After putting your bike onto the center stand, you will need to remove both the left and right saddlebags.

Next remove the plastic cover just under the rear of the seat.

This is held on with two phillips screws.

You will need to remove the bolt where the seat frame, main frame and saddle bag chrome guards all attach.

The long bars attach to the bike at this point.

You will need to slightly pry apart where the main and seat frames come together, then slip the flat part of the long bar between.

The long bars will then be parallel to the mufflers, with the curved part angled inwards.

The short bar attaches to the bolt just under the seat, and to the very front hole of the long bar.

The medium bar attaches at a 45 degree angle to the third hole back, and then to the under seat bolt.