IGNORED

? for MKIIs with Progressive Springs at 175 lbs

If you would like to response please read my posting throughly to understand each fact and statement. I'm very interested in your expert opinions and experiences.

I've now had my progressive for about 500 miles and I really like them in the twisties and on nice smooth roads.

However the slight bumps are beginning to annoy me. And I have nothing to say good about bigger bumps.

These were purchased New from Sky_Doc_17 for a 91 VR.

The old oil were drained for over 24 hours out the drain plug.

I put the tight coils in first.

I have no spacer except the OEM washer to center the springs in the forks to prevent the springs from rubbing against the inner forks.

I have Zero front air pressure.

I'm weigh in at about 175 lbs.

The forks were completely compressed using a floor jack.

I experiented from 5.5 inches of oil to 9.5 inches of oil from the top of the forks. Just a very slight improvement if any at the current 9.5 inches. I was told that even at 10 inches that is in all respect safe for all internal fork and spring components.

It was recommendated 20 wt. I was also told that the oil wt does not have any relationship to when the forks are compressed but only on the decompression or expanding of the forks.

The 20 wt slows the decompression action a bit more than the 15 wt and that difference are felt in high speed racing conditions when every little difference counts. So the 20 wt should really be a more smoother ride. So if you use an oil with less than 20 wt, I'd appreciate your response only if you have actually experimented with different weight fork oil. Otherwise to say that you prefer the 10 or 15 wt oil and have only used that wt oil doesn't help with the evaluation.

I've read just about all the threads on progressive springs and seem like most riders weighing in at 250 plus like the springs all around performance. Now when my wife and I ride we weigh in at about 305 lbs and I really feel very little difference and that maybe becase the additional weight is mostly on the rear shocks.

I've read one posting that it took a couple of 1000 miles to break in the springs.

Is there something that I may have left out?

If not then is there anything else I can do, besides gain about 100 PLus lbs for my 5' 8" stature?

Oh one more item. I have Sky_Doc_17 replacement cover for removing the anti dive unit.

Oh another item. I did try different tire pressure frmo 35 lbs to 42 lbs. Not much difference. I prefer to use manfacture recommended tire pressure than running it lower.

Edited by Golf&Venture
update

20 weight oil is too heavy.

Springs don't need "breaking in"

The lack of a spacer should soften them quite a bit.

Tyre pressure is, I think 32lb recommended ... so go softer than you have been.

I would change out the oil for 10 weight ... It affects both the compression AND the rebound. Reduce tyre pressure to 32 psi and set the oil level at the standard (5.5" ?)

That's enough to begin with :)

Not sure about the effects of the anti dive blockoff plates, but in my thinking, it may make the front forks respond like the anti dives are in operation all the time. Again, not sure, but if it does, that could impact the operation also.

I installed progressives with 15wt oil and am very pleased with them.

RandyA

My adjustable forks on the Ninja make the damper valves smaller. This forces the fork oil through a smaller hole and slows the fork action or 'bounce'. The test on my Ninja is to set the damping at minimum and bounce the front end. Then step to the next setting and bounce. Each time the front gets stiffer. Heavier fork oil is harder to force through the damper valves and will make the suspension stiffer. More oil (5.5") will make the forks stiffer. I recommend that you try a 5 or 7 wt fork oil and around 6" of oil. I am 250lbs and using a spacer and 10wt oil. To install the top caps I must compress about 1.5" of spacer. If yours is too soft with 5wt oil, you can add air.

Note:

Last week I replaced my fork seals on the VR. I managed to not fill the forks with the same amount of oil. This caused the Beast to want to 'pogo' on high-speed sweepers. I was able to balance the fork levels using a radio antenna as a dipstick. I removed one top cap at a time and measured the oil level with the antenna and a yardstick. One was 9" and the other was 6.5". I am pretty sure the 9" one was correct and now both sides are 9". No more 'pogo'.

:cool10: