IGNORED

Testing spare ignition coil - Rectifier/regulator

Before my long trip i have accumulated some spare parts to take with me.

I am taking TCI, rectifier/regulator and ignition coil (I am taking just 1 spare of the 4 that i have). Is there a way to test the regulator and ignition coil without putting it on the bike? I have already cheched the TCI on the bike.

(BTW I am not bike electrical literate.)

You can test some of the regulator with an ohmeter. To do this, I use an analog ohmeter (one with a meter, not a digital meter), but you can also use a digital if you select the diode test function. The red regulator leads are the positive terminals, and the black leads are the negative. The brown lead is the remote voltage sense, and the 3 white wires are the stator leads. Connect one of the meter leads to the positive (red) regulator lead. Now touch the other to each of the stator leads, one at a time. All 3 should measure relatively identicaly. Now reverse the meter leads, and if you had an indication in the prior test, you should not now. You are testing the positive diodes in the regulator and they will conduct in one direction, but not the other. Now repeat the above tests except measure from the black regulator leads to the stator leads. This will test the negative diodes. If all 6 diodes conduct in one direction and are open in the other, your regulator will produce DC power. This does not check the regulator portion though. To do this off the bike would take a variable DC power supply and isn't too easy to do. Regulators are pretty reliable.

Frank D.

You can check the resistance of the primary and secondary coils on the ignition coils as well as checking each to isure they are open to the case housing.

The TCI is best checked by placing it under the false gas cover and routing the two large TCI connectors up to it and perform an active, functional checkout.

That's really how I would check the rectifier/regulator... do the diode checks described and then substitute it into a working bike and measure the voltages are there.