IGNORED

'91 Venture Royal neadset Cable Question

I'm having some trouble with the driver headset on my '91 VR. At first I thought the problem was in the cable from the headset, but I put a new cable on today, and the problem persists. I had assumed this cable was the problem because my passenger was having issues, so we swapped headset cables and the problem went away.

The about a week ago my headset left speaker started cutting out, so I assumed the cable was bad.

As it turns out, my problem is the cable from the amp for the driver's headset has an intermittent near the strain relief.

I traced it back to the amp, and I believe the last/bottom/4th cable is the one I need to replace. However, other than evilBay, I have no idea where to get one.

I could tear into the connector and resolder the wires, but doing so would runing the strain relief and the shroud arounc the female connector....

What's a guy to do?

Any input will be greatly appreciated...

• 2 weeks later...
Guest ksrider

The cable I have on my 91' has the passenger cable, driver cable and a 2 lead moly plug (power?) tap just beside the amp. Not sure what this is for, but the cables from sierra appear to be only 5 pin to 5 pin, not the combo cable? have either of you done this yet? Looking for advice before I buy.

The stock cable has taps for the volume attenuators on the little gray control box. The cable from Sierra does the job but you lose the attenuator function.

I replaced my rider cable with one of the Sierra cables and have no complaints. At some point I sold the extra to someone else with the same problem.

ok Carl whats that fancy word (volume attenuators) mean ? I dont know what that does.

David

The little knob labeled "H-PH ATT" lets the rider or passenger reduce his headset volume.

The maximum volume is set by the rider with the radio, CB, and intercom controls. Then either the rider or passenger can use the attenuator knob to turn their personal volume down.

I'm willing to bet that they are rarely used.

The little knob labeled "H-PH ATT" lets the rider or passenger reduce his headset volume.

The maximum volume is set by the rider with the radio, CB, and intercom controls. Then either the rider or passenger can use the attenuator knob to turn their personal volume down.

I'm willing to bet that they are rarely used.

We use ours all of the time. I wear hearing aids, but I take them out when I'm on the bike.

Because I've lost a good bit of hearing on the high freq end and have constant ringing, my aids make every thing sound "tinny" and "clicky," so when I'm on the bike I have to crank the volume up. Consequently I'm blasting my passenger, so she turns her volume down.

If the Sierra cable does not preserve the volume controls than I'll have to pass...

BTW: I tried a set of Scala Q2 Pro Bluetooth headsets, and they suck big time. Couldn't keep them connected to our iDevices (iPhone 4 and a 4th gen iPod Touch), the VOX function shuts off music streaming, so I had to un-pair and re-pair to get music back, the "noise canceling mic" didn't, you can't stream from one music source to both headsets (This was a major issue, the VR system has us spoiled..), and at speeds above 15 MPH or so the wind noise was so bad the headsets were totally useless. Worst $242.00 I ever spent....