IGNORED

Another new way to mount stuff on a 1st gen handlebar.

Snaggletooth

I've been playing with this for a while and finally got it worked out. We old Maytag 1st genners are seriously short of handlebar space for mounting all those lil dodads and gizmos. Got that handled without drilling into the bodywork or fabbing up something to bolt onto the bike.

I had to farm out a bit of work to our friend Dano to get the holes drilled square into the round stock as I had no luck with the hand tools I had available so, thanks again Dan.

I first got the idea from Dingy when he welded up a nut to go on there to make his GPS mount.

Pretty simple idea. Remove the nut recessed into the risers that retains the hand controls and remove it. Replace it with the stud extension to add the space needed. Roll an o-ring into the recess to keep out the grit and water and it's done except to mount on the handlebar clamps for the needed mounts.

So from this day forward these shall be called "Snagglestuds". :rotf:

I made a pair for both sides so now to buy more stuff to mount.........

Mike

Edited by Snaggletooth

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Problem solved... I've always *****ed about the lack of bar material to mount things on and really didn't like the idea of runing a tube from one side to the other. Thought it looked funky. I really like this. I might make a suggestion though to shorten the mount area to about an inch or inch and a quarter. Just enough to take a mount. Maybe a GPS on one side and something else on the other.....??? Or I guess you could leave it were it is and let the customer cut it to length...?? Anyway... GREAT IDEA!! :thumbsup2:

I like the idea. Whats the orange thing on the side with the GPS? A switch box of some sort? I like the customer cut off Idea too, that way if they have more stuff they want say a cup holder, or maybe wider mounted items they have the room. Plus you could use them for hand grips when your tired of the others. :)

Looks like you had a LOT more manufacturing time into it, but it looks great!

Yes, it actually took me longer to decide what wrench size to end up with than to make the rest from a piece of 1" stainless bar. I hate making decisions.

I like it too! In fact, I liked it so much I copied it(sort of), about 5 years ago!!

Ahh dang! I'm a pirate! Arrrgggg! My bad Bob, never saw that. But at least I wasn't the only one that saw the possibilities for that particular spot. I'll be talking to you later.

Mike

I like the idea. Whats the orange thing on the side with the GPS? A switch box of some sort?

That is the remote control to turn the Drift HD 170 camera on and off. I can mount the camera and flip it on/off without having to reach for the camera itself. A bit safer and I can select what shots I want to record without wasting a lot of space on the SD card.

Kinda handy.

With the camera mount I'm working on now for the front I can see the veiw finder to be sure it comes on when I hit the button. Another project. Then one for the back and lower down for a different view. All on quick release mounts.

Mike

Problem solved... I've always *****ed about the lack of bar material to mount things on and really didn't like the idea of runing a tube from one side to the other. Thought it looked funky. I really like this. I might make a suggestion though to shorten the mount area to about an inch or inch and a quarter. Just enough to take a mount. Maybe a GPS on one side and something else on the other.....??? Or I guess you could leave it were it is and let the customer cut it to length...?? Anyway... GREAT IDEA!! :thumbsup2:

You were where I was at. Nowhere to mount anything and so many options available for handlebar mounts, rams and clamp ons. I never had the OEM plugs for those riser holes and that bare nut drove me nuts. Well ....... do something with it right?

The idea of the bar all the way across didn't work for me as I wanted to keep the option open for being able to move the angle on the risers to change postions without having to rework everything.

I'm hoping to get a little time tonight to mount both sides and then you can see space between the bars and the usable space on the studs once mounted.

I used 7/8" aluminum rod stock as that seemed to be a popular size on the mounts avaiable and had the first four cut at 4" long. That right now allows two mounts on each side. Once I decide on what I want and where what will go they can be cut down for a cleaner look.

I'll post some mounted pic later.

Mike