IGNORED

84 VR turn signal switch

Guest Dave Rogge

Guest Dave Rogge

I'm realizing the the VR I have is an '84, not an '83 (licensed as an '83) Anyhoo, the turnsignal switch needs to be replaced. It is the unit with the choke lever circled around the handlebar end. PN 41R-83973-00-00. Anybody have any leads to where I can purchase one? I've tried the NOS Yamaha dealers on Google, but no dice. I read the thread about taking it apart and cleaning it, but the way it feels when I try to use it, I'm thinking it has something physically broken inside. I can also see the tiny balls and springs disappearing onto my garage floor, so I prone to replace it, if possible.

I found some used ones on E-bay, but who knows what you get that way. Don't need TWO broken switches!

Any help greatly appreciated.

I'm realizing the the VR I have is an '84, not an '83 (licensed as an '83) Anyhoo, the turnsignal switch needs to be replaced. It is the unit with the choke lever circled around the handlebar end. PN 41R-83973-00-00. Anybody have any leads to where I can purchase one? I've tried the NOS Yamaha dealers on Google, but no dice. I read the thread about taking it apart and cleaning it, but the way it feels when I try to use it, I'm thinking it has something physically broken inside. I can also see the tiny balls and springs disappearing onto my garage floor, so I prone to replace it, if possible.

I found some used ones on E-bay, but who knows what you get that way. Don't need TWO broken switches!

Any help greatly appreciated.

I'd just make sure that the eBay units are returnable... not DOA. Finding something new is going to be near impossible. Another thought is to replace the complete control with a slider. The only year they made that type was in '84. They went back to the slider in 85 and stayed with it until '93. You may have to replace the choke cable with a later model but I can't see it being all that much of a problem...

Dave, I have one off of an 85 if you decide to got that way, I can't use it on my 86 becuse the 86 control has a push to talk button for the intercom and CB on the same control. let me know if you decide to replace with with a newer version. You can call me at 315 521 3729.

Phil.

Per the parts fiche, the 84 choke cable is different. P/N 41R-26331-01-00

The 83 P/N is 26H-26331-00-00, then in 85~93 this number was restated.

I have a spare choke cable if needed.

Gary