IGNORED

Polished/chromed wheels, they aint cheep

1BigDog

I have been sanding the wheels on my 99 to begin polishing them. I still have a long way to go. I looked around at several chromers and polishers and was amazed at their quotes. One polisher, who I liked his work alot, came in at a price higher then some of the chromers. Best chrome price I can get is about 700 bucks. The polished wheels came in just over that. Guess ill just have to knuckle down and finish what I already started myself. The cost is just too prohibitive to farm it out.

Jeff

What type of polisher did you talk to? You may find that electropolishing cheaper that hand/machine polishing. There is place in Sanford and one in Clearwater, just Google Electropolishing in Florida. Can't hurt to ask.

Had it done to my Vulcan Wheels at Chromeprosplating.com located in TX. It was $625 plus I had to pay shipping 2 ways. 5 step process guaranteed 5yrs. They did a beautiful job, but It was big $. Between buying a spare set of wheels, the shipping, the plating, the mechanic that a)stripped the wheels and b)reinstalled bearings, tires, balancing I spent over $1100. Still have a 2nd set of wheels, though. :cool10:

http://i275.photobucket.com/albums/jj290/cyprinut/IMG_0169.jpg

I exchange my wheels with a chrome shop in San Deigo. He has Venture wheels already chrome. You pay for the wheels. He sents you the new set . You have seven days to deceide if you want to keep them.If you keep them , you shipp yourset back in his boxes. He pays return shipping UPs.

My bike was down for just mounting the tires.I think they look great.

$725 was the total cost. A good shop and easy to working with.

Leonard:cool10:

I exchange my wheels with a chrome shop in San Deigo. He has Venture wheels already chrome. You pay for the wheels. He sents you the new set . You have seven days to deceide if you want to keep them.If you keep them , you shipp yourset back in his boxes. He pays return shipping UPs.

My bike was down for just mounting the tires.I think they look great.

$725 was the total cost. A good shop and easy to working with.

Leonard:cool10:

PICTURES! PLEASE! I really want to see these.:fingers-crossed-emo

Please dont bother him yet...

I want to be sure he does a great job................( on my wheels).......

You sure are a hard guy to please. But, donations to the Eck reclamation fund will be accepted in lieu of labor. Or, failing that, a busload of Me*****s with plenty of sandpaper will help too. (just trying to be politically correct here):smile5:

• 2 weeks later...
Ruffy,

How did you know..I've always wanted polished wheels on MY RSV.......:whistling:

As always, Im certain you will do a fine job on them... (for me)....:stickpoke:

Eck, this should make you ecstatic.......

I may have bitten off more then I could chew on polishing those wheels. While I could have eventually done it, the amount of sanding the rough casting marks out was just too much for me. I still get tired fairly early from the surgery so after a few hours of grinding/sanding im pretty wiped out. I never would have taken it to a level that I would have been happy with so, I wimped out...found some space on one of my credit cards (at least its 0 interest) and ordered an exchange set from chrome pros. They use a 21 step process along with a 5 step show chrome finish. All marks are smoothed off resulting in a mirror like finish and a 2 year non-prorated warranty. Should have them in a few weeks. Right now the set they have on hand is in the process of being sanded. I have new bearing that I am sending them and they are installing them for 50 bucks. Much better then having me beat on a bearing and maybe mar the chrome.